TSN: Auston Matthews goal celebration, yes or no?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I haven't read the whole thread do if it's been brought up I'm sorry for repeating it but this Saturdays edition of coaches corner sould be good for a laugh.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I liked it and I liked the screaming outburst to Rielly more than the ear thing itself.

But imagine if Kane scored again in OT...we would never hear the end of it LOL

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When the leafs and Hawks played, we used to talk about things like this:

Today, a player put his hand to his ear?

Progress?

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I liked it and I liked the screaming outburst to Rielly more than the ear thing itself.

But imagine if Kane scored again in OT...we would never hear the end of it LOL
All it would have taken was another shot on net.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
When the leafs and Hawks played, we used to talk about things like this:

Today, a player put his hand to his ear?

Progress?

With regards to talent on the ice, yes tons of progress. Your average top line in the NHL in those days would get smoked by the average 4th line today in terms of speed and skating ability.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
With regards to talent on the ice, yes tons of progress. Your average top line in the NHL in those days would get smoked by the average 4th line today in terms of speed and skating ability.

Maybe.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
All the way yes. Auston may seem composed but did you see his face when he got to Rielly after the goal? He was so pumped. I'm loving this kid more and more.

Reactions: The Cobra

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Didn’t mind this at all:

200w.gif

But when this happened, I completely understood and didn’t moan about it:

giphy.gif

Matthews can do what he likes but accept that there may be a reaction.

This!

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Since the Leafs ended up winning I think what Matthews did last night was better than what he did last season against Colorado.

That goal celebration is my absolute all-time favourite. I love the fact that Matthews basically spat in the faces of both the NHL and its officials (completely deserved), and there wasn't a damn thing that the league could do about it except quietly grumble.

Derekhanna89

Jul 1, 2018
Hockey is supposed to be fun, both for fans and players. Celebrations like that are part of the game. Loved it.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
lol I cant believe that this is a thread.

Just goes to show how far back NHL is in Culture & Atmosphere when compared to the NBA/NFL.

Of course that celebration is a yes lmao. I hope he does it after every goal. I hope he does a back flip. I hope does a "hush the crowd" celly.

Have some fun. Grow the game a little.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
NHL players and fans sound like wimps nowadays.

I still remember when Tiger Williams scored a goal against the hated Philadelphia Flyers in the playoffs, he rode his stick right down the center of Maple Leafs Gardens. Cannot find clip on youtube, only this one.

f***ing good.

Feb 24, 2004
What irony?

There's a big difference between me possibly getting tired with over the top celebrations all time and the media turning it into a front page controversy.

It's not something that would bother me too much, Matthews is a young guy and him constantly showboating would annoy me a bit, but I wouldn't crucify the kid or kick up much of a fuss about it.

That's a stark contrast to the venomous media that would constantly pester him about it at scrums and write story after story about it and make it front page news.

I think the media really needs to chill out, but that doesn't mean I can't be a bit bothered by something a player does.

You are getting upset with the media overreacting to something trivial while at the same time overreacting to something trivial.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
NHL players and fans sound like wimps nowadays.

I still remember when Tiger Williams scored a goal against the hated Philadelphia Flyers in the playoffs, he rode his stick right down the center of Maple Leafs Gardens. Cannot find clip on youtube, only this one.

****ing good.

The good old days, when you walked 5 miles to school in a blizzard. :sarcasm:
Thank goodness those days are in the past, goon hockey sucked.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Why would anyone deserve getting SUCKER punched for celebrating? Do you even remember the context of the bat flip? The referees were calling everything against the Jays which led to the beer tossing incident. The whole SkyDome was pissed off ...and through acts of God they were able to claw their way back into the game and eventually that moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad