Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
McDavid may catch him, Vancouver pulling their goalie every game, even with 7 minutes to go. McDavid already cashed in 1 empty netter.

McDavid is an incredible player no doubt, a player for the ages, but he is benefiting hard playing against these North defensemen (outside of our actual good defense)

I don't think he ever touches 100pts in 56 games in a regular season.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
McDavid is an incredible player no doubt, a player for the ages, but he is benefiting hard playing against these North defensemen (outside of our actual good defense)

He is so far ahead of everybody else it would be kind of awesome to see him endup with 112 for a 2.0 points per game avg. as long as he stops with the goals, lol.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
He is so far ahead of everybody else it would be kind of awesome to see him endup with 112 for a 2.0 points per game avg. as long as he stops with the goals, lol.

I think he has a chance! It would be pretty awesome. The season will always have an asterisk on it sadly, but he is truly incredible regardless.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Connor is not catching Matthews for the Rocket.

Auston has an 8 goal lead with 4 games to play while McDavid has 5 games left. Even if Matthews is shut out, which is unlikely given his only 4-game stretch this year without a goal came when he was suffering a wrist injury and didn't even shoot, I'm pretty sure Connor has never scored at 1.6 gpg clip in his career, even over a 5-game span.

While he may do well against the Canucks (7 goals this season), there's also two games against a Montreal team that may be fighting to move into 3rd and he hasn't had a lot of success against goal-wise (only 2 this season).

Matthew has 6 against the Habs (2 games left), 10 against Ottawa (1 game left) and 5 against the Jets (1 game left).

Connor beating him by 8+? No ... But yeah, I admit I'll still be watching Oilers' boxscores every night.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Really? I think he will come very close to that. Crosby had 95 points in his first 56 games in 2006-07 as a 19 year old, Kucherov had 87 points in a 41 game stretch a few seasons ago. McDavid is better than those players (2nd year Crosby I mean) if you ask me and he's right in the middle of his prime now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

So what are your thoughts on how Matthews has benefitted then? He's technically had it easier than McDavid since he plays for a better defensive team. Marner's numbers haven't increased from last season, and Draisaitl's pace has gone down. Do you think Matthews gets 60+ goals in a full season with a regular schedule?

Reactions: hockeynorth

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wish we had a way of knowing where his wrist at now. I still don't see the laser beam shot he used to have. And I'd love to know how it happened and whether the Andersson take down was the main cause or just made it worse (or not).

My guess is Andersson is the sole reason for the wrist injury. They tried downplaying it by saying he was having issues before but it's hard to believe considering the night and day difference. Think they just don't want to make him a target for future rough stuff. The next game he missed due to injury was Romanov playing him pretty hard in the last few minutes of the Montreal game. That team loves laying the lumber on Matthews whether it's the hard and heavy hits by a Shea Weber or the cheap extra shoving by a Petry. If I were a Leaf I would suggest they cut it out or else Caulfield gets punted for a field goal.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Really? I think he will come very close to that. Crosby had 95 points in his first 56 games in 2006-07 as a 19 year old, Kucherov had 87 points in a 41 game stretch a few seasons ago. McDavid is better than those players (2nd year Crosby I mean) if you ask me and he's right in the middle of his prime now.

I guess it's possible, but that is an unreal pace.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I guess it's possible, but that is an unreal pace.

Well when you consider how only him and Matthews are really scoring much more from previous seasons (the two most talented players in the league at 23 and 24) there's just not much to suggest the divisions are having a huge impact on their totals, especially when they don't even play in the highest scoring division.

Reactions: saffronleaf

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
George Armstrong called Borje the most talented guy to ever wear the blue and white, but as much as I love Borje, I think George would revise that, to defenceman

Auston Matthews, is the most talented Leaf, I have ever seen, the most complete package.

I saw a lot of KEON. Ton of Mahovlich.

Never saw Apps, teeder or any of that era. But I started watching when I was six, and I am getting up there.

Marner, he is ridiculous as well.

Sittler was special Not just a great player.

Wendel, had a modern day wrister. Do I need to talk about his body checks... His fighting was overrated, but he battled tooth and nail.

Sundin, when he wanted to, could be the best player in the world, certain nights.

We have had some beauties.

Mogilny was so impressive for me. I thought he was just tremendous.

Brian Leetch blew my mind, never knew he was that good.

Owen Nolan didn\t last long, but wow, he was something.

My personal favourite..... By far. Doug Gilmour, even though when I bumped into him after the game, he seemed far more interested in my GF, than my fan fawning. I loved the guy so much, I didn\t even care.

We have a GM now who seems to want to reward us with noteworthy players, to be remembered throughout our lives.

I like that.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
George Armstrong called Borje the most talented guy to ever wear the blue and white, but as much as I love Borje, I think George would revise that, to defenceman

Auston Matthews, is the most talented Leaf, I have ever seen, the most complete package.

I saw a lot of KEON. Ton of Mahovlich.

Never saw Apps, teeder or any of that era. But I started watching when I was six, and I am getting up there.

Marner, he is ridiculous as well.

Sittler was special Not just a great player.

Wendel, had a modern day wrister. Do I need to talk about his body checks... His fighting was overrated, but he battled tooth and nail.

Sundin, when he wanted to, could be the best player in the world, certain nights.

We have had some beauties.

Mogilny was so impressive for me. I thought he was just tremendous.

Brian Leetch blew my mind, never knew he was that good.

Owen Nolan didn\t last long, but wow, he was something.

My personal favourite..... By far. Doug Gilmour, even though when I bumped into him after the game, he seemed far more interested in my GF, than my fan fawning. I loved the guy so much, I didn\t even care.

We have a GM now who seems to want to reward us with noteworthy players, to be remembered throughout our lives.

I like that.

great post man. In all my years watching old highlights, I have never seen such raw skill, skating, and shot variety that both Marner and Matthews have shown. There is a remarkable skill disparity between this generation and that of the 80s and even before then. I feel like Orr and Gretzky had more heart and grit, however, going by skills like skating, shot, the new generation is superior. Plus we have over 30 teams whereas back then you only had 6. There is a lot more competition from foreign players that focus more on the graceful and skating aspects of hockey. All in all great time to be a hockey fan except for the recent Tom Wilson blowup.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's scary to think what he would be if he started skating at like 2 and got into hockey earlier?

He played bunch of sports and then honed in on hockey at like 10+ ish. What he's done in just 9 years (drafted) is remarkable.

Then you add his development from 19 to now...speechless.

What. A. Player.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
So much salt. So many fans terrified about the Leafs going all in and winning it. All because of our elite talent and best goal scoring center in the NHL. If we do this. If this is our year. Drinks on me.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's scary to think what he would be if he started skating at like 2 and got into hockey earlier?

He played bunch of sports and then honed in on hockey at like 10+ ish. What he's done in just 9 years (drafted) is remarkable.

Then you add his development from 19 to now...speechless.

What. A. Player.

Wouldn't this make him more likely to have more room for improvement now? Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds convincing.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He really is, it reminds me of Gretz back in the day when he could have won the scoring title just on his assists ... at least until Mario came into the league and gave him a challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad