Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I still think he eclipses over 100 points this season. 24 games left, going to be a long stretch. He has another gear and he knows it won't be easy. Time for another tear.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I like the comparison they drew between Malkin and Matthews last night. Matthews appears to be developing a bit of a mean streak in him now. Still kind of cutesy coming off the wall, but with those hands who wouldn't be. Still like to see a line of JT - 34-MM for a game or two. May be too risky right now. But I often wonder how that line would match against "THE LINE' from Boston.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like the comparison they drew between Malkin and Matthews last night. Matthews appears to be developing a bit of a mean streak in him now. Still kind of cutesy coming off the wall, but with those hands who wouldn't be. Still like to see a line of JT - 34-MM for a game or two. May be too risky right now. But I often wonder how that line would match against "THE LINE' from Boston.
I know it's not the playoffs but when they Boston one more time next month it will be interesting to see how Keefe plays the Matthews line compared to what Babcock did.

Also Toronto has not played Boston with Hyman - Matthews - Marner on one line, along with - Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander on the other line.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I have been saying that since he got drafted. He's actually a bit bigger than Malkin too. Similar playstyle though. His playmaking is evolving.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I have been saying that since he got drafted. He's actually a bit bigger than Malkin too. Similar playstyle though. His playmaking is evolving.

Same here. Matthews never had the mean-streak in him and physicality before, but it's definitely evolving now.

What I love the most is that the 3 guys (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) are showing their emotions and look strong on the puck. I have 2 clips of where Matthews manhandles his opponent while fighting for the puck, and 1 clip of Nylander doing the same.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Same here. Matthews never had the mean-streak in him and physicality before, but it's definitely evolving now.

What I love the most is that the 3 guys (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) are showing their emotions and look strong on the puck. I have 2 clips of where Matthews manhandles his opponent while fighting for the puck, and 1 clip of Nylander doing the same.

You need to release those clips to the main boards immediately. Jk, we know what we got and we don't care what anyone thinks!

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
He's 3rd in the league in takeaways with 65 while only having 37 giveaways - a ratio that's easily the best among the best scorers in the league. Also leading his team in plus minus. An absolute monster this year... He deserves serious consideration for the Hart.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's 3rd in the league in takeaways with 65 while only having 37 giveaways - a ratio that's easily the best among the best scorers in the league. Also leading his team in plus minus. An absolute monster this year... He deserves serious consideration for the Hart.

He's so close to top 5 in scoring, so he likely gets some votes if the Leafs make the playoffs.

Reactions: Papa Cherry

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I guess you have to look at Matthews' season like the 1996-97 season when Sundin came off the World Cup and emerged as a true superstar franchise player for the Leafs.

If we do miss the playoffs, hopefully this leaves a very bitter taste for the core and they come back in the future with more of a drive to be excellent throughout the whole season.

Also may open the door for them to consider turning the Big 4 into the Big 3, with only Matthews as the guy we must keep. Nylander is quite a bit cheaper than the rest so he would be easier to keep too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad