Injury Report: Auston Matthews Day To Day

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Unfortunately, it looks like Matthews is made of glass. McDavid takes more abuse than him and plays more minutes yet he rarely misses a game. Sucks to have a talent so good yet so fragile.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I bet Montreal’s Romanov and Weber playing him tough was more of an issue than anything that happened to him vs Calgary, where he was noticeably more sluggish.

Reactions: Ciao

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Unfortunately, it looks like Matthews is made of glass. McDavid takes more abuse than him and plays more minutes yet he rarely misses a game. Sucks to have a talent so good yet so fragile.

Not true. On nearly every play, someone is taking a shot at Matthews. I don't know why the broadcast doesn't show it but he takes a lot of crap and the refs don't care especially because Matthews is big.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Matthews and McDavid have played exactly two full seasons.

McDavid has missed 47 games in his career due to injury and Matthews has missed 38 including tonight

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
How many different injures for each?

Injury prone refers to number of times getting injured not severity of individual injury.
Each player has been injured 3 times in their NHL careers.
McDavid -37 games in rookie season
............... - 4 games in 18/19 season
............... -7 games 1n 19/20 season
Total 3 injuries 48 games lost

Mathews 20 games 17/18
............... 14 games 18/19
............... 2 games 20/21
Total 3 injuries 36 games

Mcdavid has played 1 extra season but it doesn't look like one is more injury prone than the other.

Reactions: Jmo89 and authentic

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Mathews 20 games 17/18

Mcdavid has played 1 extra season but it doesn't look like one is more injury prone than the other.
Agreed, although small correction - Matthews has so far missed 4 games this year, not 2. Still, overall, regular season and playoffs combined, he's played 347 of a possible 385 games, just over 90% of possible games, or a pace of about 74 games played per 82 possible games.

He's certainly had some injuries, but not too bad, averaging ~8 missed games per season seems roughly NHL average, maybe a touch above average. He's no Patrick Marleau, but he also hasn't had the major injury woes of guys like Lindros, Bure, Forsberg, Crosby, Mario, etc. He does getting nagging injuries that he plays through decently often, but so do basically all players, the media/fans just focus on it way more with Matthews because he's a huge star in the biggest hockey market.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Agreed, although small correction - Matthews has so far missed 4 games this year, not 2. Still, overall, regular season and playoffs combined, he's played 347 of a possible 385 games, just over 90% of possible games, or a pace of about 74 games played per 82 possible games.

He's certainly had some injuries, but not too bad, averaging ~8 missed games per season seems roughly NHL average, maybe a touch above average. He's no Patrick Marleau, but he also hasn't had the major injury woes of guys like Lindros, Bure, Forsberg, Crosby, Mario, etc. He does getting nagging injuries that he plays through decently often, but so do basically all players, the media/fans just focus on it way more with Matthews because he's a huge star in the biggest hockey market.

Bear in mind McDavid's injury total (games missed) would be a fair bit higher had one not happened in the last game of a season (also not included in that list I believe).

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
The whining never changes in leaf land. We can't just sit back and watch the career of the greatesteaf ever unfold for you game by game. Get in there and find something to bitch about.

Reactions: OddyOh

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Bear in mind McDavid's injury total (games missed) would be a fair bit higher had one not happened in the last game of a season (also not included in that list I believe).

This is true.

McDavid's style of play might make him prone to those high-velocity impact injuries. With Matthews, it's unclear whether his body is prone to injuries or whether it's his style of play.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
My perspective.. Matty gets hurt because he isn't expecting certain hits and get gets jarred in compromising positions. If he played ready to be destroyed and dish back some of the abuse he gets it would go a long way. Break some ones wrist after getting cross checked to your shoulders for christ sakes..

Its weird like.. if someone hit me over and over they would get laid out with equally or with more force.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Mathews 20 games 17/18

those pesky pesky facts keep getting in the way of people's narratives

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
My perspective.. Matty gets hurt because he isn't expecting certain hits and get gets jarred in compromising positions. If he played ready to be destroyed and dish back some of the abuse he gets it would go a long way. Break some ones wrist after getting cross checked to your shoulders for christ sakes..

Its weird like.. if someone hit me over and over they would get laid out with equally or with more force.

Matthews absolutely does dish back.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Comparing Matthews and McDavid based on injury history? Really?
Not sure how/why that started; It's irrelevant.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Correct. The Trouba hit is a perfect example. He needed to anticipate that and protect himself a lot better. I love the fearlessness of cutting in front of the net the way he did but I love having him in the lineup even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad