Injury Report: Auston Matthews Day To Day

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
My perspective.. Matty gets hurt because he isn't expecting certain hits and get gets jarred in compromising positions. If he played ready to be destroyed and dish back some of the abuse he gets it would go a long way. Break some ones wrist after getting cross checked to your shoulders for christ sakes..

Its weird like.. if someone hit me over and over they would get laid out with equally or with more force.
I wish all players had that attitude.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Unfortunately, it looks like Matthews is made of glass. McDavid takes more abuse than him and plays more minutes yet he rarely misses a game. Sucks to have a talent so good yet so fragile.

He’s gonna play what 50 of 56 games?

Never missed a playoff game. You trying to troll?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I don’t see McDavid as an iron man at all. Not even close.

McDavid’s game is also typically about skating and his physical engagement is usually limited to dishing out cross checks so he stays fresh as a daisy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My perspective.. Matty gets hurt because he isn't expecting certain hits and get gets jarred in compromising positions. If he played ready to be destroyed and dish back some of the abuse he gets it would go a long way. Break some ones wrist after getting cross checked to your shoulders for christ sakes..

Its weird like.. if someone hit me over and over they would get laid out with equally or with more force.

I like this take. If you compare and contrast the way two big men like Matthews and Draisaitl carry their bodies on the ice I would say Matthews is always playing loose and ready to make high finesse plays (not dissimilar to the way Jake Gardiner was always loose) whereas Draisaitl always seems to have the shoulders hunched, elbows out and braced for impact. Basically looks like one guys is in a relaxed state and the other in flex, and the latter protects against sudden hits cause you’re ready for it.

In terms meanness, I would agree that growing up watching Clark and Gilmour why Matthews wouldn’t absolutely destroy all challengers. It buys you more space if you’re an absolute menace to play against and is better for your health. When he wants to he’s an absolute beast vs guys like Shea Weber etc. But we are not all wired the same way.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think the back injury scared Matthews, he probably doesn’t want to go through that again. So I don’t think he risks long term injury. If he doesn’t feel right I think the team has him sit out

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Oh you know me.

Sorry my opinion hurt you so.

Don’t know where you got hurt in that post. I was just confused at what you were trying to say.

He’s missed less games to injury than Mcdavid, never missed a playoff game and is far from a fragile hockey player.

So your opinion is simply wrong. No ones feelings are hurt about that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->