Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
While yes technically Matthews hasn't hit 50 goals yet in a single season, it feels pretty dishonest to act like 50 goals is still some mark he still needs to prove he can hit. Consecutive years with 47 in 70 and 41 in 51 make the discussion around whether he's likely to score 50 in a full season a pretty boring one.
That is how real life works my friend. Sorry to break it to you. Has not got to 50 yet like Ovi, Drai, etc,. Let us wait for him to do that.

Reactions: dukeofjive

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I think he should start with 50.

We remember Kucherov's pace from a couple seasons back, but he couldn't keep it up for the entire season. Such things can happen.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Man there’s stupid and then there’s this. It’s not his fault Covid happened.

He scored 40 in 49. I’m sure he could add 10 more over 33 more games.

Sure but that's why people are saying let's see if he can get 50 in a full season first. Not saying he can't hit 60 but you have to hit 50 first. He's also lucky Tavares takes a bulk of the tougher match ups. If Tavares retired tomorrow would Auston's goal scoring drop slightly? Who knows. More responsibility against tougher players on a nightly basis etc. He's good for the sport though so I hope he does hit 60 one day.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Extrapolating anything from a shortened season is fraught, particularly when the league walled off the divisions into four silos.

Matthews had a really good season. He also only played six teams, few of which played much defense. Toronto did nothing wrong, and neither did he, but pro-rating stats from this season is probably something to avoid doing with too much seriousness.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I don’t want to downplay overall, I think he’ll lead scoring goals next season, but while I won’t automatically go as far as some do downplaying the north... basically not playing any of the top 10 defenseman all year against a collection of teams known for bad defense and or forward depth (offense is defense kinda sense, easier to get out of your zone)

I wanna see him maintain this pace against all teams before I think he approaches closer to 60 than 50. I’ll be rooting for him to do it though just out of interest, before people get pissy lol

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Per game sure, but definitely not raw totals... which seems to be what Matthew’s detractors point to first and foremost. Heck, the guy has 199 goals in 333 games. That equates for 49 goals per 82 games for his career. He is age 23 and at the start of his prime and if he gets a full season’s worth of games he is pretty much a lock for 50 goals and quite possible he cracks 60 in a career year.
You haven't scored 50...till you've scored 50.

He isnt a lock to do anything.

Can he? Sure. Will he? Maybe.

Get 50 first and then we can talk 60

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Safe to say that Auston Matthews will be putting up some 60 goal seasons at some point in his career? He would have had 66 this year if it was a full 82 game season. 60 goals seasons is pretty rare nowadays but it's elite company - Bure, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Selanne, Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Espisitos, etc.

I would be suprised if he does not.
However he missed 4 games so assuming no more missed games he would finnish full season with 61.5 goals:)

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
People talking bout 60 when the dude hasn't even scored 50 in a season.

Good lord lol

So he scores 41 in 52 and you just think he's gonna go 9 for 30 the rest of the season if it was a full 82?

Man scored 40 his rookie season, 47 in 70 last season.

He will 100% have multiple 50 goal seasons and most likely one or two 60.

Quote me in 10 years if I'm wrong. I'll do the same.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If he hits 60 goals, then f***ing great. He is insanely good scorer.
No pace bullshit tho. Scoring ghost goals due to PACE, is absolute garbage - After Matthews scored over 40 in a shortened season, I'd hope this PACE bs is forgotten.

Reactions: Tmu84

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Safe to say that Auston Matthews will be putting up some 60 goal seasons at some point in his career? He would have had 66 this year if it was a full 82 game season. 60 goals seasons is pretty rare nowadays but it's elite company - Bure, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Selanne, Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Espisitos, etc.

You realize we have had one 60 goal season in many years, and that maintaining a great pace is very hard to do over an 82 game schedule right? Also mentally the players know that 56 games is the season end, in the future they will know 82 is the end, which changes your view on games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Also we need to pump the brakes on certain great numbers this year, as playing just your division benefits lots of players, especially since that particular division has some of the worst D and G's in the league.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
So he scores 41 in 52 and you just think he's gonna go 9 for 30 the rest of the season if it was a full 82?

Man scored 40 his rookie season, 47 in 70 last season.

He will 100% have multiple 50 goal seasons and most likely one or two 60.

Quote me in 10 years if I'm wrong. I'll do the same.
So he actually scored 50?

*puts on spectacles to peruse the statistics*

Says here that he's never actually scored 50.

If we are dealing jn maybes he just as easily could have gotten injured and missed the rest of the season. I dont deal in hypothetical.

Has he scored 50 goals in the NHL? Yes or no.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If he hits 60 goals, then f***ing great. He is insanely good scorer.
No pace bullshit tho. Scoring ghost goals due to PACE, is absolute garbage - After Matthews scored over 40 in a shortened season, I'd hope this PACE bs is forgotten.
It makes me chuckle when people use "on pace" as a means to buff up a player. It means nothing at the end of the day unless a player hits it and very rarely does any player ever. There is always drop offs and ups and downs as a season goes on. McDavid would be maybe the only player who has a legit shot at any "on pace" numbers I think. lol

Reactions: Tmu84

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I found $10 on my walk to work today. I’m on pace to find $3650 in the next year if I keep taking the same route.
So what you are saying is, you think it is equally likely that you will keep finding 10 dollar bills every day walking the same route, as it would have been for Matthews to keep scoring a lot of goales this season if there were more games?

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
All the "lets see him hit 50 goals first" -esque posts feel so lazy and dishonest. He would have hit 50 this year and last if they were 82 game seasons. It wasnt injuries who stopped him these past 2 seasons.

Yes he could absolutely hit 60. I think he would have hit 60 this season. There is the possible factor however of the north division being weaker defensively, that could play a part.
And make no mistake, it is really difficult to hit 60. But yeah I think he could.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
All the "lets see him hit 50 goals first" -esque posts feel so lazy and dishonest. He would have hit 50 this year and last if they were 82 game seasons. It wasnt injuries who stopped him these past 2

Yes he could absolutely hit 60. I think he would have hit 60 this season. There is the possible factor however of the north division being weaker defensively, that could play a part.
And make no mistake, it is really difficult to hit 60. But yeah I think he could.
. This year is a fraud season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad