Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pretty easy no imo

In the past 9 years only Draisaitl and Ovechkin have eclipsed the 50 goal mark. 50 goals is extremely hard to hit (Matthews himself hasn't done it), so the probability of hitting 60 is way lower.

I think Matthews should get his first 50 goal season next year though, assuming he can be healthy (which is far from a guarantee)

Let's be ONLY reason Matthews hasn't done it is because the last 2 seasons have been cut short, you don't get to use that against him when the ONLY thing that stops him is the entire world shutting down

Reactions: saffronleaf

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Let's be ONLY reason Matthews hasn't done it is because the last 2 seasons have been cut short, you don't get to use that against him when the ONLY thing that stops him is the entire world shutting down
Okay? First of all your message doesn’t even make sense. “let’s be only”?

I can “use” whatever I want. It’s a simple black and white fact that he hasn’t scored 50 goals. And it’s not like COVID only affected Matthews. It prevented a lot of players from hitting big milestones but that’s the reality of the situation.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Peaked? Peaked Holymakinaw, let me tell you something, Matthews hasn't even begun to peak, and when he does peak you’ll know because he's gonna peak so hard that everybody in Philadelphia is gonna feel it.

Uh, you're a tad insecure huh?

I said STARTING to peak. And he is doing just that. And I also said it'll last 3-4 years........and it will.

Calm down, kid. :)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
While yes technically Matthews hasn't hit 50 goals yet in a single season, it feels pretty dishonest to act like 50 goals is still some mark he still needs to prove he can hit. Consecutive years with 47 in 70 and 41 in 51 make the discussion around whether he's likely to score 50 in a full season a pretty boring one.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Man there’s stupid and then there’s this. It’s not his fault Covid happened.

He scored 40 in 49. I’m sure he could add 10 more over 33 more games.
I mean he’s has never hit 50 in a season. That is a statement of fact regardless of the coulda, woulda shoulda

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Safe to say that Auston Matthews will be putting up some 60 goal seasons at some point in his career? He would have had 66 this year if it was a full 82 game season. 60 goals seasons is pretty rare nowadays but it's elite company - Bure, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Selanne, Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Espisitos, etc.
No, he's on pace to have that many. That doesn't mean he had an guarantee of staying that pace. Players hit hot streaks and cold streaks.

He has the talent to do so, but it is harder over 82 games as well as a normal schedule instead of the divisions he was set up in this year.

I think he may have 1 or 2 but won't be consistently putting them up.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
It’s willfully ignoring reality in order to downplay a superstar

0.8 GPG

True but let's also acknowledge that what separates a Crosby from a Forsberg, a Ovechkin from a Bure or a Gretzky from a Lemieux if you will is ability to stay healthy and career achievements. Matthews on talent alone is for sure up there goalscoring wise with the best but let's not pretend like raw totals and actual milestones are of no importance.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
One would swear HF is filled with posters who were dunked on by Matthews at the some point in their lives.

It's just hatred of the Maple Leafs.

Auston Matthews is an American, might end up being the greatest American player of all time (health provided)

He should be absolutely loved by people in the USA, that's your best player next Olympics.

I hate seeing people refer to him as "nostrils" it's just so demeaning and such an awful and shameful way to refer to a person. Who cares? But whatever it takes to make the biggest dig on someone.

Also, the dude signed a 5 year contract that takes him to UFA. He very well might cut and run on the Leafs.

I'll enjoy him while he's here the next few years. And yes McDavid is the a way better player and Canada can assemble a way better team than the USA.

Reactions: Vaive50

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Man there’s stupid and then there’s this. It’s not his fault Covid happened.

He scored 40 in 49. I’m sure he could add 10 more over 33 more games.

Nah he'd get injured so let's pretend it's impossible for him to actually score 50 given the chance.

I can't believe how hard people are trying to cut Matthews down all the time. But it does seem like some people are coming around.

He's the most exciting player I've ever seen as a Leafs fan since 1996 and he hasn't even peaked.

Will he end up better than Sundin? Don't know, but he's sure projecting that way.

I really hope he doesn't leave when he's UFA a few years from now, but he might.

Reactions: Vaive50 and Mats13

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
True but let's also acknowledge that what separates a Crosby from a Forsberg, a Ovechkin from a Bure or a Gretzky from a Lemieux if you will is ability to stay healthy and career achievements. Matthews on talent alone is for sure up there goalscoring wise with the best but let's not pretend like raw totals and actual milestones are of no importance.

He's 23 years old right now.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Marner is one of the best passers and playmakers in the league. Matthews is one of the best shooters. If they stay paired up I could see a 60 goal season where everything goes right.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Won't be playing the north every year.

It's possible...he reminds me of stammer...a lot.

I'll say this...if you are extrapolating imaginary milestones...they aren't real milestones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad