Dreger: "Auston Matthews 100% is not going anywhere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
5 years is a major commitment, I expected him to re-up but for fewer years to make sure his next contract was timed perfectly given his age / expected cap explosion.

to be fair Drege4r did say it could be a year shorter or longer on either side.

so a 4 year deal is possible, so is a 6 year as well

Sounds like 5 years is most likely though

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I've been guessing Matthews signs for 5 x 13.4
and Nylander signs for 8 x 9.6
Hopefully the cap jumps 3 - 5 million after next season which makes up the difference on both their current salaries...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh you can certainly overpay for Auston Matthews..

You would think Leafs fans of all people would know that, especially after the season he just had.

the season he just had still saw him score 40.

If 40 is a down year for you, you can't be over paid

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
This is 100% on Shanahan and the culture he has created from the start. He can't get his main guys to commit max term when every other star is doing it across the board & not to mention they (Leafs guys) want max money, along with playing the media game of "believing" in each other. Matthews' priority is absolutely maximizing dollars not about winning when it matters.

Mar 26, 2010
All indications are pointing to the fact that Matthews is re-upping in Toronto. Looks like there will be a lot of hurt feelings on here.

Reactions: Rob Brown

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Hopefully the cap jumps 3 - 5 million after next season which makes up the difference on both their current salaries...
and you're in the exact same situation trying to fill the rest of the roster with scraps, what's the point here; just keeping talent or actually trying to win

Reactions: myleafs and um

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Marner gonna sign for same money Tavares did 5 years ago?
Marner is getting $11+ at minimum IMO, whether it's 5 or 8 years.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'll admit, after the last 7 years producing a single series win, thought he may be tempted to go to US.

In saying that, 5 yrs X $13ish million is still an overpayment IMO, when factoring in Marner likely getting something similar in terms of AAV.

Barkov + Tkachuk = $19.5 million
Matthews + Marner = $26ish million.

That's the difference in a top 3D or top 6 winger.

I mean Matthews >>>>> Barkov and Marner => Tkachuk so makes sense they are more.

Also cap is at a different place wth it rising when these deals start

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
and you're in the exact same situation trying to fill the rest of the roster with scraps, what's the point here; just keeping talent or actually trying to win
Not if Murray and Brodie can be moved or Tavares "accepts" a trade... or if not, Tavares and his 11 million is off the books in a few years, and leafs will just have to make due until then... sad truth but no other choice right now...

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I mean why not? Toronto media will always make him seem better than he is so why leave that, especially when they can pay you whatever you want

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Oh look at all the people who told us Auston would leave now telling us the Leafs are dumb to commit to him.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I mean Matthews >>>>> Barkov and Marner => Tkachuk so makes sense they are more.

Also cap is at a different place wth it rising when these deals start
Yeah those winners on Toronto man I wish we had them. Not like Tkachuk just outperformed your entire cores career in one playoffs. I knew you were an extremely hater but even I know you don’t believe this but kudos for the act! Once again was an absolute pleasure to mop you guys!

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Not if Murray and Brodie can be moved or Tavares "accepts" a trade... or if not, Tavares and his 11 million is off the books in a few years, and leafs will just have to make due until then... sad truth but no other choice right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad