Dreger: "Auston Matthews 100% is not going anywhere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
That would take him to 32 years old and then reassess the situation for both sides. Perfect…

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Treliving said he's keeping the core 4... Shocker

Too stressful for him changing things up right away... Too gun shy after the Tkachuk trade

I'd imagine Leafs fans are pissed off at that after what has been said over the years about their displeasure of not changing things up

lol Matthews was never going anywhere regardless so this comment seems odd.

Also funny seeing people trying to spin the Leafs keeping their MVP and multi rocket winner as a bad thing. If he does take 13 that will be a joke with the cap jumping next season if they get anything longer than 4 years I am happy.

Matthews has more rockets in him and more to give. So blessed getting to watch him grow up on my team play through his prime. Arizona or whatever can give him the retirement mistake contract.

Reactions: Mitchy and Voight

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
scenario 1: matthews stays in toronto. Hfboards whine that he is overpaid

scenario 2: toronto trades matthews. Hfboards whine that toronto lost their franchise player

either way hfboards is going to whine because toronto is the centre of the hockey universe

Toronto also has the longest Stanley Cup Championship drought, having last won it in 1967 when the league was a 6-team circuit and Man hadn’t even walked on the moon.

A fitting description since you’re talking about the “hockey universe” rofl.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
32 actually. (or roughly 31.7 when the final season is over)

He turns 26 in September. The 5 year deal would kick in the following season when he's just turned 27.

Technically he can re-sign his next extension at 30 (July 1st, 2028) on a 5-year deal. That's usually more important than when the actual deal concludes.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He shouldn't. As much as Toronto fans love to rip into him whenever the team comes up short, they would literally go apeshit on him if he actually left.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
lol Matthews was never going anywhere regardless so this comment seems odd.

Also funny seeing people trying to spin the Leafs keeping their MVP and multi rocket winner as a bad thing. If he does take 13 that will be a joke with the cap jumping next season if they get anything longer than 4 years I am happy.

Matthews has more rockets in him and more to give. So blessed getting to watch him grow up on my team play through his prime. Arizona or whatever can give him the retirement mistake contract.
Oh I agree they keep AM if they can forsure.. only way they should move him is if he forces their hand like Tkachuk and Dubois

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was on TSN Overdrive and while talking about Nylander he also said that Auston Matthews 100% not going anywhere.

He said that while nobody has officially confirmed the term what he has been able to gather points to a 5 year deal.
Getting down to the wire to have that handshake agreement on the parameters of a new contract. Nmc begins midnight on Friday. Need to agreement basically agreed to for him to sign this weekend.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Getting down to the wire to have that handshake agreement on the parameters of a new contract. Nmc begins midnight on Friday. Need to agreement basically agreed to for him to sign this weekend.

He doesn't NEED to sign July 1st.

Half the roster is some form of free agent let's fill that out.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
The only people who thought he would were on here and it was a prayer not reality. Now they will pretend they haven't said he is 100% a goner and instead switch about the contract term or whatever.

Matthews is a maple leaf through his prime years. That feels good.
Ahhh he comes out of hiding. I believe most fans wanted AM to sign a huge deal with a huge cap hit so he can continue doing what the leafs do best…. Which is lose in the playoffs. Hopefully he gets 14 mill a year 🤞

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
Who honestly thought Toronto was going to be anything other then what they were last season? Repackage the same thing with a different color bow on top. First or second round loss anyone? I'll buy those odds

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The only people who thought he would were on here and it was a prayer not reality. Now they will pretend they haven't said he is 100% a goner and instead switch about the contract term or whatever.

Matthews is a maple leaf through his prime years. That feels good.

I'll admit, after the last 7 years producing a single series win, thought he may be tempted to go to US.

In saying that, 5 yrs X $13ish million is still an overpayment IMO, when factoring in Marner likely getting something similar in terms of AAV.

Barkov + Tkachuk = $19.5 million
Matthews + Marner = $26ish million.

That's the difference in a top 3D or top 6 winger.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who honestly thought Toronto was going to be anything other then what they were last season? Repackage the same thing with a different color bow on top. First or second round loss anyone? I'll buy those odds

Changes do need to be made but trading Matthews isn't it

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
5 years is a major commitment, I expected him to re-up but for fewer years to make sure his next contract was timed perfectly given his age / expected cap explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad