Post-Game Talk: Auston Clutchhews! Leafs win 4:3 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Interesting stat:
Andersen has made exactly 38 saves in all 4 of his last starts, all being wins.

That can’t happen often.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Having lived and worked in Buffalo for the past 15 years, I am so ****in glad we won this. I talked so much **** over the past few months to the locals.

I jumped off the Sabres ship when the fans started cheering for the other teams goals, during the tank.
I fought against the tidal wave of fans wanting to lose, and the media wanting to lose, arguing, Buffalo could try their best and still get Marner.
It was a lost cause. The Sabres fans were a lost cause. Fighting with the media was a lost cause. So I followed Marner to the Leafs.

And it felt so good when Mathews scored the winner to hear the Leafs fans go wild in that building. It sounded so good, in that building, when Marner dished that spinning backhand sauce to Tavares - OOOOOOH, AHHHHHH, YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! What a game!

I almost want the Sabres to be good enough for the Leafs to beat them extra times in the playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't say it often because it doesn't happen often but poor coaching decision almost blew this game having the 4th line against Eichel almost blew this game.

Hopefully Babcock learns from his mistakes and doesn't put the 4th line against the 1st line next game.

That said the cracks are starting to show in Buffalo
The game was in Buffalo, so Babcock had no choice in the matchups.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The game was in Buffalo, so Babcock had no choice in the matchups.
True, but in the case guys are referring to, it was a faceoff in our own end and he had the choice to put out which line he wanted to. He would know if we put out our 4th, they would counter with their 1st.

Reactions: ULF_55 and Jmo89

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
True, but in the case guys are referring to, it was a faceoff in our own end and he had the choice to put out which line he wanted to. He would know if we put out our 4th, they would counter with their 1st.
On the first goal, the Kadri line had been out just before, and had been badly outplayed. On the second goal, it was the Kadri line that got scored on, not the fourth line. The bottom lines are supposed to be the better defensive groups, and both the top lines have a lot of trouble breaking the cycle in their end at times, so I can see the logic to a point.

RLF

May 5, 2014
On the first goal, the Kadri line had been out just before, and had been badly outplayed. On the second goal, it was the Kadri line that got scored on, not the fourth line. The bottom lines are supposed to be the better defensive groups, and both the top lines have a lot of trouble breaking the cycle in their end at times, so I can see the logic to a point.

There were two goals scored against our 4th lines off faceoffs in our own end that were not after icings. Only difference on second goal was Hyman there instead of Goat. Not sure we are talking about the same thing

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kadri line was on for the third goal, not the second. Many teams shelter their 4th line but with Lindholm and Goat, Bab's considers it a "safe" line. It bit him last game, but it'll be much better without Goat on it going forward. Doesn't help he was playing out of position either.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There were two goals scored against our 4th lines off faceoffs in our own end that were not after icings. Only difference on second goal was Hyman there instead of Goat. Not sure we are talking about the same thing
I thought the conversation was about the two goals that Eichel scored in the third. I must have lost the thread somewhere.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I thought the conversation was about the two goals that Eichel scored in the third. I must have lost the thread somewhere.

Or I did.lol
I think the point was, the 4th was out out in two situations to win a draw in our end. They were scored on both times, and both times in a 1 goal game. After it happened the first time...why would you do it again? Maybe I am wrong.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Or I did.lol
I think the point was, the 4th was out out in two situations to win a draw in our end. They were scored on both times, and both times in a 1 goal game. After it happened the first time...why would you do it again? Maybe I am wrong.
I think the logic with a lot of teams is that the bottom six are better defensively, so start them in your own end, while the top six are better offensively, so start them in the other end. I don't necessarily agree, but I have seen the Leafs' top lines struggle to get out of their own end.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Boston is our primary rival now due to playoffs
Montreal always will be and they would take the #1 spot really quickly if we matched up against them in the playoffs this year

Ottawa is just another game now
Tampa is a fun team to watch and play but no real dislike there
Buffalo i think has good chance for some bad blood to get built up this year but right now they are just another good team like Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad