Post-Game Talk: Auston Clutchhews! Leafs win 4:3 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
No, that's not what I'm saying. Not at all.

I'm saying that Babcock has vastly more information to work from than any of us.

I suspect he's learning from that and making his decisions accordingly.

What makes you think he's not?
I don’t know what he is thinking but it’s not based on sound coaching principles. Ask 100 coaches if they’d prefer their 4th line against the other teams best line (a line producing extremely well the past 15 games) on a defensive zone face off I venture 99 would say no.

Due North

Mar 16, 2010
There are some gem comments on the Sabres board, one saying that when the Sabres are “polished” they won’t “Let the Leafs anywhere near the cup.”Or how the Leafs don’t scare them.

But they conveniently forget that we didn’t even have Nylander playing and hilariously think we have no other players who will be coming up from the system, for example the Leafs are going to be having at least 3 players on Sweden at the WJC (Sandin, Liljegren, Holmberg)

Basically Sabres fans exhibit severe cases of delusion.

They win 10 in a row mainly because of Skinner and now their cup contenders for years to come.
Unreal. They better hope Skinner doesn't get injured. It's a one line show.

Reactions: Duffman955 and DanM

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don’t know what he is thinking but it’s not based on sound coaching principles. Ask 100 coaches if they’d prefer their 4th line against the other teams best line (a line producing extremely well the past 15 games) on a defensive zone face off I venture 99 would say no.

The Sabres matched up their 4th line against the Matthews/Tavares line on the occasional shift last night

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With the Sabres having the last change weren't they the ones matching the top line against the 4th line on the two goals?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think it was to test them to see what he has in a 4th line, kinda tells Kyle he has some work to do at the TDL. Cup teams typically roll 4 lines. If we don't have the guys to be at least defensively competent on the 4th line, I'd rather find out that now than in game seven in the playoffs.

If you are a competitor, it also gives you a wake up call that you need to work harder at getting better. If I'm one of those 3 forwards, I'm going to every optional skate, I'm the last guy to leave the ice, I'm asking the assistant coaches to show me better ways to defend, I'm watching game tape over and over again to pick up on what I did wrong and what I can do better.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
With the Sabres having the last change weren't they the ones matching the top line against the 4th line on the two goals?

I think the questioning is we put our 4th line out in our own end knowing the Slugs had last line change. I personally think Babcock knew the 4th line would get their top line in a match up. I think he was testing the waters.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
They win 10 in a row mainly because of Skinner and now their cup contenders for years to come.
Unreal. They better hope Skinner doesn't get injured. It's a one line show.

As fans.... the are up there with Bruin fans.

But at least the Bruins are a powerhouse, and I respect that team a lot.

Meh, let them have their fun, they prob deserve a break, they do have to live in Buffalo after all lol

Plus can you imagine being a Bills fan! :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Do "sound coaching principles" include knowing that the home team gets last change and decides the matchups?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
And I’ll say it again, if Babcock knew he didn’t have the last change, and that Housley would put his first line against that fourth, why do it?

Yeah. I like Babcock, but his decisions can be extremely frustrating at times. I remember Matthews first season he talked about putting players out to learn on the fly, and that was fine. Idk if he was doing that last night but it seems like the only thing that makes partial sense, and frankly it is idiotic to do with a 4th line.

To throw them out there a second time to be schooled was embarrassing for both the team and coach.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Do "sound coaching principles" include knowing that the home team gets last change and decides the matchups?

Then why put the 4th line out for a defensive zone draw knowing they're going to match up with their 1st line?

Last change is irrelevant.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Then why put the 4th line out for a defensive zone draw knowing they're going to match up with their 1st line?

Last change is irrelevant.

I... What? :facepalm:

The home team changes last and gets to decide the matchups. How in the hell do you figure that's "irrelevant" to matchups?

Like... I don't even know what to say.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I... What? :facepalm:

The 4th line should not be taking a defensive zone draw when you know the other team is line matching.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri playing down the middle, there is zero reason for them to be taking one. It doesn't matter who gets last change when they shouldn't be on the ice.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The 4th line should not be taking a defensive zone draw when you know the other team is line matching.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri playing down the middle, there is zero reason for them to be taking one. It doesn't matter who gets last change when they shouldn't be on the ice.

I don't even understand your train of thought. Why shouldn't the fourth line take defensive zone starts? That's standard practice.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't even understand your train of thought. Why shouldn't the fourth line take defensive zone starts? That's standard practice.

Because they were already eaten alive once by the Eichel line and it was clear that the Sabres were going to match them again.

After the first time it happened they should have been limited to NZ faceoffs, icings, or maybe an OZ one after a power play.

If Matthews was still injured then sure. But when you have Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri available and the 4th liners have already been eaten alive once before, you have lines 1-3 handle it. One of them is fresh enough.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Having lived and worked in Buffalo for the past 15 years, I am so f***in glad we won this. I talked so much shit over the past few months to the locals.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Gord Miller, at the end of hour 2 of Leafs Lunch today, said someone (not named) at the game last night wanted/wants to bet him a $10 thousand dollar bottle of Pappy Van Winkle that one of Matthews or Marner will get offer-sheeted if they are not under contract on July 1st. He also said the crowd was roughly 70-30 Leaf Fans.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Did you miss the part about defensive zone face off (not off an icing)? He had a choice.

Poulin said he was testing what he had in that 4th line for future. Still, wouldn’t do it against a divisional opponent one point behind us in a close game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->