Austin Watson arrested for domestic assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Yeah that's true that it would likely be mentioned in the report. I don't want me questioning things to be misconstrued as looking for reasons to defend him, I just like to know facts. Not that there are many to get into at this point.

No, I agree, too many people are convicted based on accusations only. But just judging by Watson's own admission and the officer's statement on what he personally witnessed, there is enough here to have serious concerns about the situation.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The reason i’d rather wait is specifically because all we know is really nothing at all. Alcohol and a wedding were mentioned. What if she was hammered and he decided nope we’re not going to the wedding with you in this condition. She freaks out on him in an enclosed space and what gets seen is him pushing her away from him. Guys have a right to defend themselves as well.

Or maybe he let his emotions get the better of him this one time and he overreacted. Or maybe he’s just a bad dude.

I just cannot agree with the immediate response to always assume the guy is completely at fault because of some chivalrous value a persons dad taught them that may not work in every situation.

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
The reason i’d ather wait is specifically because all we know is really nothing at all. Alcohol and a wedding were mentioned. What if she was hammered and he decided nope we’re not going to the wedding with you in this condition. She freaks out on him in an enclosed space and what gets seen is him pushing her away from him. Guys have a right to defend themselves as well.

Or maybe he’s just a bad dude.

I just despise the immediate response to always assume the guy is completely at fault because of some chivalrous value a persons dad taught them that may not work in every situation.

When the officer responded, he noticed a vehicle at the station whose passenger was trying to "back away from being shoved away," the affidavit states. "The passenger said 'stop' and was trying to cover her face."

Watson reportedly admitted to pushing the woman and red marks were found on her chest, according to an arrest warrant.

There is zero mention of any violence on her part so far and again, even if it she did start it, you don't continue to push someone that is attempting to get away and begging you to stop. To me there are enough facts to know that Watson has acted inappropriately here, the question is only how severe.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He was probably guilty of snapping at her over her being really drunk. I agree with the post above that said she may have been in a state of mind that was either hindering their plans for that wedding or she was straight up annoying him and he lost it over something. I doubt she attacked him. It's only natural to wonder if/hope it's not a sporadic occurrence with them and not a one time issue. Not the alcohol part, but just anger on both sides, specifically from him. But that's not my business.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
A witness thought it was bad enough to flag down a police car which doesn't sound good. It was a gas station so not only witnesses but cameras along with the officer seeing it himself. This isn't he said she said incident. We'll see what happens

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Want to see the whole picture before I make a judgement. That said, if it is cut and dry one sided he needs help, and washing your hands of him and walking away doesn't do that. So even if Poile does do something help should be involved.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
If I remember the Ribs incident correctly, he settled a civil matter. There was never a criminal charge in that case. Authorities looked into it, didn't have enough to proceed, and then the civil action was started.

Last edited by a moderator:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If I remember the Ribs incident correctly, he settled a civil matter. There was never a criminal charge in that case. Authorities looked into it, didn't have enough to proceed, and then the civil action was started.

Ok I rarely agree with nitrous but that is a bullcrap distinction you just made.

Anyone with a scrap of insight understands the Ribiero situation was far FAR worse than what has thus far been described about the Watson case. The only reason there were no criminal charges against Ribs is the alleged action was unwitnessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Man, Watty seemed such a great guy. I don't want to make hasty decisions but this one doesn't seem good.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
Want to see the whole picture before I make a judgement. That said, if it is cut and dry one sided he needs help, and washing your hands of him and walking away doesn't do that. So even if Poile does do something help should be involved.

Poile has been known to give players a second chance if he feels that they are truly sorry for what happened and agree to take the steps necessary to improve themselves. These steps would include an NHL approved "rehab" program and maybe even a heartfelt public apology to ease things over with the fans. It all depends on the degree of the abuse, what kind of video footage will be released to the public, and again, whether or not he's truly sorry for what happened.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Ok I rarely agree with nitrous but that is a bullcrap distinction you just made.

Anyone with a scrap of insight understands the Ribiero situation was far FAR worse than what has thus far been described about the Watson case. The only reason there were no criminal charges against Ribs is the alleged action was unwitnessed.
I definitely won't get caught defending Ribiero here - but criminal charges are far more serious than civil. He settled because he had done wrong.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I definitely won't get caught defending Ribiero here - but criminal charges are far more serious than civil. He settled because he had done wrong.

A misdemeanor criminal charge is far less serious than settling a civil suit that arose from an alleged felony.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I'm guessing this might be why it was pushed back?

Williamson County District Attorney Kim Helper said she asked to drop out of Austin Watson's domestic assault case on June 19. The 21st Judicial District attorney general is married to Gerry Helper, the team's senior vice president and senior adviser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad