WJC: Attendance....

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Hamilton sold out for the Canada vs Slovakia WJHC Exhibition game last year...

We should get the tourny..:)

Again thats one game and involving canada.How would hamilton do with lesser games much like toronto i think thats up for debate.

Mihairokov

May 30, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Again thats one game and involving canada.How would hamilton do with lesser games much like toronto i think thats up for debate.

With the amount of people in Toronto and it's surrounding area and the amount of diversity, I think Toronto would do better.

Just a hunch, but i'm assuming there are more Austrians in Toronto than Saskatchewan.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
With the amount of people in Toronto and it's surrounding area and the amount of diversity, I think Toronto would do better.

Just a hunch, but i'm assuming there are more Austrians in Toronto than Saskatchewan.

Its hard to say toronto and area is not a great hockey market for the most part.Yes the leafs and nhl get amazing support but out side of that its not great.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
You remember the World Cup of Hockey, right?

The world cup of hockey had 4 strong teams in the north american pool.Aslo alot of the players were nhl.The world juniors you have weak teams playing my question is how well would those games get supported.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
People enjoy saying Toronto would not support this tournament. There is no doubt that we would do really well in hosting it but let them stick to their opinion. They really think because we will not support minor league hockey that we could not get enough fans to support a 2 week tournament.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
People enjoy saying Toronto would not support this tournament. There is no doubt that we would do really well in hosting it but let them stick to their opinion. They really think because we will not support minor league hockey that we could not get enough fans to support a 2 week tournament.

I am not saying toronto would not support the tournemant its possible they may.But what worries me a bit is some toronto people are all good at saying they will support something untill it coes down to it.Take the major jr when mississauga and brampton were granted team people were excited saying the support will be very good.Well that really has not taken place has it the support is anything but very good.Lets take the marlies again people were very excited and say the support will be great again much like major jr the support has not been great.I hope toronto would get the tournemant and i hope it does well but we have look at the track record of non nhl hockey and its not great.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Stop using Junior hockey to determine whether we would support this tournament. Use other World Tournaments because that is a much better comparison. I love the World Juniors but could not care less about any of the teams in the GTA. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Stop using Junior hockey to determine whether we would support this tournament. Use other World Tournaments because that is a much better comparison. I love the World Juniors but could not care less about any of the teams in the GTA. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way.

See this is part of the probleam toronto claims to be the best hockey market in the world.Yet a large number of people care less about anything but the leafs.I am not saying toronto would not support the tourneamnt they likely would do a good job as good as ottawa or vancouver maybe maybe not but it would do well.

Skylab

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
Some attendance numbers up to this point taken from a newspaper article on Dec 30th.
At this point organizers are projecting total attendance between 330,000 and 340,000
CUC in Saskatoon holds 14,659 and the Brandt Centre in Regina holds about 6,000
If they had sold out all 31 games that would have led to a total attendance of just over 360,000.
At those levels (somewhere between the low projection of 330,000 and the max possible number of 360,000), this years world juniors would have ended up 3rd all time in attendance behind Ottawa (453,282) and Vancouver (374,353).

so it wasn't possible for this year's tourny to beat the numbers of Ottawa, which was almost 60000 more than 2nd place ever and 221,000 more than what i believe is currently the 3rd best attended tourny ever, Halifax in 2003 (242,173).

So they are a lock to be the 3rd most attended tourny of all time (which is the best they could do given the size of the rinks) and they are in line to bring in the 2nd highest total ticket revenue (only behind Ottawa).

ticket sales have already topped $13 million before todays single tickets for the medal rounds went on sale today. So the profit margins appear safe.

the tourny organizers built there business plan around an average of 12,000 for the games in Saskatoon; a total that they are exceeding.

I for one am shocked that the Canada games haven't all sold out, but on the other hand i'm suprised/impressed by the attendance numbers at some of the lesser games.

the idea that saskatoon didn't deserve this tourny is assinine.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That was more ****ing like it baby, now thats a crowd.

Keep it up until the gold medal.

captaincheat

Sep 13, 2005
Regina, Sask., Can.
One thing I have not read yet is the revenue generated by sources other than ticket sales. In Regina, the only way we got the Grey Cup's and Brier's was because of the huge party - not just the strong ticket sales.
I will be very interested to see where the PROFIT ends up on the all time list. The bid had big front end loaded profit promises because of the 'other' revenue (ok, I'll just call it BEER form now on :) they knew they could count on.
Following the Ottawa showing is a tough act to duplicate. That city did an amazing job. That being said, I think when the dust - ah, snow - settles, the Saskatchewan bid will be deemed a huge success.
It was a bit disappointing that the Latvia game was not sold out, but other than that one game, has this tournament not be a big success?

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
One thing I have not read yet is the revenue generated by sources other than ticket sales. In Regina, the only way we got the Grey Cup's and Brier's was because of the huge party - not just the strong ticket sales.
I will be very interested to see where the PROFIT ends up on the all time list. The bid had big front end loaded profit promises because of the 'other' revenue (ok, I'll just call it BEER form now on :) they knew they could count on.
Following the Ottawa showing is a tough act to duplicate. That city did an amazing job. That being said, I think when the dust - ah, snow - settles, the Saskatchewan bid will be deemed a huge success.
It was a bit disappointing that the Latvia game was not sold out, but other than that one game, has this tournament not be a big success?

One thing I have noticed as far as revenue generation (aside from the monstroud 50/50 draws) is that both cities have done a great job of keeping fans on-site between the games, which means that they have to eat, they wander around and buy souvenirs etc. World Fest on site at the Brandt Center has been fairly well attended between the games, so I think that adds a lot to the coffers.

neoen

Jan 24, 2009
If it wasn't sold out last night, it was VERY close. I know for a lot of the games, some seats have been sold, but nobody there (company seats, etc.) This was a big thing for the Latvia game on the 26th.

The 50/50? Wow! Thats all I can say. How an arena of just over 15,000 can get a 50/50 over $200,000, with the payout being just over $100,000 is absolutely unreal! Arena was very loud last night, and I hope the US beats Sweden so we can see round 2.

Cheli

Jul 6, 2008
Toronto/Waterloo
As of today:

attendancef.jpg

Source: IIHF Team Statistics

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The city was a buzz last night for the game. Great to see.

and that 50/50 is just insane. By 6 oclock local time, an hour before the game, the total was already at 60,000 dollars. They said they had to stop selling them because they reached the legal limit of how much they could give away.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island

TOP 11 U20 Attendances Since 2000 (By Average) Location, Total Attendance, Average Attendance
2009 Top Ottawa, Canada 453,282 14,622
2006 Top Kamloops, Kelowna & Vancouver, Canada 325,138 10,488
2003 Top Halifax & Sydney, Canada 231,393 7,464
2005 Top Grand Forks & Thief River Falls, USA 193,256 6,234
2002 Top Pardubice & Hradec Kralove, Czech Rep 111,128 3,628
2008 Top Pardubice & Liberec, Czech Republic 103,179 3,328
2004 Top Helsinki & Hameenlinna, Finland 102,869 3,318
2001 Top Moscow & Podolsk, Russia 82,400 2,423
2003 DIV IA Almaty, Kazakhstan 35,300 2,353
2008 DIV IB Riga, Latvia 33,320 2,221
2007 Top Leksand & Mora, Sweden 63,493 2,048

So it would seem attendance will be close the the second best ( Kamloops, Kelowna & Vancouver ) - thats pretty damn good IMO.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Saskatchewan put a bid together based on artificially high numbers of what they would pull in (clearly). They guaranteed more money than Ottawa.It isn't the other cities' fault for being fiscally responsible. Don't blame them for Saskatchewan getting eyes bigger than their stomach.

Forget the other games, they can't even sell out the Team Canada games, and that is pathetic.

Perhaps next time, you will take a closer look at the issue and try to understand what is happening, rather then spitting out random criticisms that are based on little understanding of the topic.

As I suggested early in the thread, looking at the prices of the tickets may provide some information on what is going on - you chose to ignore this, however Puck daddy did some research:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog...attendance-problems-at-world-j?urn=nhl,211851

As always, the issue was consumer value - those 1,000-2,000 seats that were not being sold were extremely expensive nose bleeds. If a "sell-out" was the goal, they could have sold those seats for 20 or 40 bucks and easily achieved that. However, their goal was generating as much revenue as possible - they were trying to target price points that would do this.

The Sask organizing committee apparently knew what the were doing (shockingly - their expectations of what kind of $$ the tournament would bring in were more aligned with what happened then your armchair-view criticisms)

Apparently, the organizing committee isn't worried, though. The 2010 WJHC GM, Rob Jones, said that over 333,000 tickets had been sold so far, generating $14.3 million in revenue (they had guaranteed $12.5 million). The projected revenue of the tournament will be within $500,000 of Ottawa's record total last year. In his words, Saskatchewan has hit a "home run."

R S

Sep 18, 2006
BlackAces needs to eat crow for this. He was being so ignorant during this whole thread.

The ppl of SK really stepped up and put on a great show despite the 'slow' start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad