WJC: Attendance....

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Really?, they can't even sell out the first game of the tourney.

I think they had something like 12500 people in a 15000 seated building.

Embarrassing as hell:shakehead:shakehead

I remember last year, the fans were absolutely going CRAZY for the WJC, even the slovakia/usa game had 12000+ fans.

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
What is so damn embarrassing about it?

It is Christmas time after all. Perhaps people have better things to spend their money on?

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Also, no hats on the ice for a hat trick...SAD SAD SAD

Horrible hockey fans, really shouldnt be there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So is this proof that Hockey is slowly fading in popularity in Canada?

I have read articles claiming Hockey will decline dramatically,,, More reason for US hockey to continue to grow in untapped and untraditional markets!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm from SK and was very very surprised to see empty seats.

Even against Latvia...you would still think it would be a sellout. I would like to know the explanation from organizers.

My bet is that it starts with trying to sell packages worth a thousand dollars. Doesnt seem like the best idea to me.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I'm from SK and was very very surprised to see empty seats.

Even against Latvia...you would still think it would be a sellout. I would like to know the explanation from organizers.

My bet is that it starts with trying to sell packages worth a thousand dollars. Doesnt seem like the best idea to me.

The packages last year in ottawa for the full tournemant were in the thousands.I spent $2400 on 14 games yes it did include the medal games.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Also, no hats on the ice for a hat trick...SAD SAD SAD

Horrible hockey fans, really shouldnt be there.

:shakehead I wouldnt go quite this far...to bunch everyone into the same group like that.

Sure, this game wasnt a sellout...and I along with everyone else is very surprised...but dont be so quick to say people in SK are horrible hockey fans.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
It was one game yes maybe it should have been sold out but it was not.I would be more worried if the medial games are not sold out.

AvsFan

Dec 24, 2009
cost cost cost

I.E Try to buy tickets for say a game in Phoenix, cheap seats are like $26

Try in Montreal Cheap seats are bought from Scalpers for $80. and start at $35ish

Team Canada tickets are super expensive. If you're gonna shell out $100 for a ticket to a 15000 Junior stadium its gonna be Canada Vs Sweeden/Russia/USA

Put this tournie close to Canada in the USA it'll be the same, put it in Florida and you'd prolly be able to walk in and buy tickets for $10-15 :)

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
cost cost cost

I.E Try to buy tickets for say a game in Phoenix, cheap seats are like $26

Try in Montreal Cheap seats are bought from Scalpers for $80. and start at $35ish

Team Canada tickets are super expensive. If you're gonna shell out $100 for a ticket to a 15000 Junior stadium its gonna be Canada Vs Sweeden/Russia/USA

Cheap tickets for phonix is $15.00 cheap tickets for the would jrs is $63.Yes it may not be cheap but still not that bad.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
So is this proof that Hockey is slowly fading in popularity in Canada?

I have read articles claiming Hockey will decline dramatically,,, More reason for US hockey to continue to grow in untapped and untraditional markets!

I wouldnt get your hopes up there bud.

12,500 fans is better than some American NHL teams can draw on a regular basis.

population of Saskatoon 225,927

population of Atlanta 519,145. average paid attendance to Thrashers games so far this season 13,511

The game in Saskatoon today was a paid sellout according to the announcers on TSN, some fans just chose not to attend. I think the fact that Canada was playing a junior B quality of opponent may have had just a little to do with that:sarcasm:

Last edited:

BlackAces*

The game today was a sellout, some fans chose not to attend. I think the fact that Canada was playing a junior B quality of opponent may have had just a little to do with it:sarcasm:

That is BS. They just guaranteed a pile of money to get the tournament, and will make it look better than it actually is.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Should have been in Winnipeg but Hockey Canada got cowed and it went to Saskabush now we don't even have full buildings for Canadian games.

And what the Hell are people wearing Rough Rider Jerseys to the game for....

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm going to avoid this thread from now on. Too much SK hate.

bigtimehockeyfan

Nov 26, 2009
Move the tourney to Phoenix where the fans are foaming out the mouth for hockey.

I persoanlly wasn't expecting a sellout. It was against Latvia.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
That is BS. They just guaranteed a pile of money to get the tournament, and will make it look better than it actually is.

So your saying they are liars? How would that benefit TSN?

In any other Country the games not featuring the host team are historically very poorly attended, why do you think we get this tournament in Canada so often? Because were the only country that the IIHF can make any money holding the world juniors.

Even in America they have to host it close to our border to be successful, because they rely on droves of Canadians to make the trip and fill the buildings.

TSN does not need to lie to make Canada "look better than it actaully is". Our attendance records at this tournament speak for themselves.

Canuck71*

They were playing Latvia in Canada's first game of the tournament, chill out people. Now if the next few games aren't sold out completely then I might begin to question how much SASK cares about hockey but 12,500 against a poor Latvia team is nothing to get mad over yet.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
5,100 fans turned out in Regina today to watch the Sweden vs Czech game today as well. That's respectable support to watch 2 foreign teams duke it out in a small market like Regina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad