WJC: Attendance....

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
TOP 11 U20 Attendances Since 2000 (By Average) Location, Total Attendance, Average Attendance
2009 Top Ottawa, Canada 453,282 14,622
2006 Top Kamloops, Kelowna & Vancouver, Canada 325,138 10,488
2003 Top Halifax & Sydney, Canada 231,393 7,464
2005 Top Grand Forks & Thief River Falls, USA 193,256 6,234
2002 Top Pardubice & Hradec Kralove, Czech Rep 111,128 3,628
2008 Top Pardubice & Liberec, Czech Republic 103,179 3,328
2004 Top Helsinki & Hameenlinna, Finland 102,869 3,318
2001 Top Moscow & Podolsk, Russia 82,400 2,423
2003 DIV IA Almaty, Kazakhstan 35,300 2,353
2008 DIV IB Riga, Latvia 33,320 2,221
2007 Top Leksand & Mora, Sweden 63,493 2,048

The thing to remember with these numbers are the sizes of the arenas used. I think we're all aware that the arenas used in Leksand & Mora aren't the same size as what is used in Vancouver or Ottawa. Surely if Sweden held their U20s at the Globe Arena or Scandinavium their numbers would be higher, one would think.

I hope that means we get it back fairly soon. I LOOOVVVVEEED having the juniors here. Went to many games, only could afford 1 Canada game (the gold medal game), but saw a lot of other countries. Was great hockey.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Jason12
Toronto is not known as a great hockey city its an nhl city a great one at that.But anything below nhl does not really get good support.

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
I like many others live outside Saskatoon. 2 hour drive up to the city. I will be attending 2 games on the 29th and coming back home. It is a day trip but to me well worth it.

My other option was to buy a package and just not attend 75% of the games which I would assume some are doing by going from the sales on Kijiji.

We are a rare breed here in Saskatchewan who will travel far distances for sports. Look at the Riders. Games in Regina where thousands drive up to 5 hours one way to see them.

If you want to judge Saskatchewan by their love of hockey, start judging on the 31st game against the USA till the gold metal game. Ticket prices are crazy high but we will still be at the games.

To say we don't support our teams or hockey is crazy.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I like many others live outside Saskatoon. 2 hour drive up to the city. I will be attending 2 games on the 29th and coming back home. It is a day trip but to me well worth it.

My other option was to buy a package and just not attend 75% of the games which I would assume some are doing by going from the sales on Kijiji.

We are a rare breed here in Saskatchewan who will travel far distances for sports. Look at the Riders. Games in Regina where thousands drive up to 5 hours one way to see them.

If you want to judge Saskatchewan by their love of hockey, start judging on the 31st game against the USA till the gold metal game. Ticket prices are crazy high but we will still be at the games.

To say we don't support our teams or hockey is crazy.

To start i don't think anyone is saying you don't support your teams.As for people should judge starting on the 31st my probleam with that is its been a while sense canada did not sell out there games.Sure the usa-canada should be sold out thats a given.When you don't see out the first game that is a concern and if the next 2 are not sold out thats even a bigger concern.If the only game that sold out is dec 31 i think then the question should be was this the right choice for the tournemant.Maybe its to big of an event for sask and area to handle.With all of that said i hope the rest of the games are sold out but if there not well there will be people asking if this was the right choice.

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
The question is was the game sold out ticket wise.

I know alot of people who bought packs but can't make all the games as they live outside of Saskatoon and the weather for one was crap on the 26th.

If it is a paid sellout, then it is still a sellout.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Oh man, that's terrible. What an abomination. It's really a disgrace. I'm thoroughly angry about this. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Yeah, I pretty much puked after seeing the disgrace that is the attendance! ;)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I hope that means we get it back fairly soon. I LOOOVVVVEEED having the juniors here. Went to many games, only could afford 1 Canada game (the gold medal game), but saw a lot of other countries. Was great hockey.

i agree, i hope Ottawa gets it again in the near future, i absolutly loved it, the passion these kids show was incredible and watching Tavares and guys like Karlsson play made me watch so many games.

The USA and Russia against Canada games were some of the best games of hockey i have ever seen, it was an emotional rollercoaster :D

I hope fans in Regina will make a **** load of noise, it really adds to these games :D

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
i agree, i hope Ottawa gets it again in the near future, i absolutly loved it, the passion these kids show was incredible and watching Tavares and guys like Karlsson play made me watch so many games.

The USA and Russia against Canada games were some of the best games of hockey i have ever seen, it was an emotional rollercoaster :D

I hope fans in Regina will make a **** load of noise, it really adds to these games :D

You would think the show ottawa put on attendance etc they would be on hockey canada and as well as the iihf list for future tournemants.

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
i know trolling is your schtick... but they are listing gate attendance not paid attendance... maybe its beyond your grasp but htere is a difference between the 2

Exactly. That is how many people showed up, not how many seats were sold.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My brother was just at the US-Latvia game today in Stoon...said the attendance was announced as around 12 thousand. Not bad IMO.

BlackAces*

Exactly. That is how many people showed up, not how many seats were sold.

Prove it. Who reports like attendance that way, anywhere, ever?

And I know for a fact you could still get tickets to the Switzerland game yesterday, during the game.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Prove it. Who reports like attendance that way, anywhere, ever?

And I know for a fact you could still get tickets to the Switzerland game yesterday, during the game.

Hockey Canada's website still shows tickets available for all the games.

Spin it anyway you want - as a Saskatchewan resident, I am disappointed and a little bit embarassed that Team Canada's games aren't sold out. I bought my package in Regina, and didn't even think about going to Saskatoon for any Canada games because I assumed they would be sold out.

This was probably the province's last chance to host the event, and by not selling it out they have likely put the nail in the coffin of the tournament heading to smaller centers any time soon.

BlackAces*

Hockey Canada's website still shows tickets available for all the games.

Spin it anyway you want - as a Saskatchewan resident, I am disappointed and a little bit embarassed that Team Canada's games aren't sold out. I bought my package in Regina, and didn't even think about going to Saskatoon for any Canada games because I assumed they would be sold out.

This was probably the province's last chance to host the event, and by not selling it out they have likely put the nail in the coffin of the tournament heading to smaller centers any time soon.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore, the crowds are what they are, and the jerseys aren't coming back. Just for clarification though, I was able to buy them off ticketmaster.ca, so unless they are selling phoney tickets, I think it is a safe bet.

Hopefully the barn will sell out for the remaining games. They should.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Honestly, I don't even care anymore, the crowds are what they are, and the jerseys aren't coming back. Just for clarification though, I was able to buy them off ticketmaster.ca, so unless they are selling phoney tickets, I think it is a safe bet.

Hopefully the barn will sell out for the remaining games. They should.

I'm not questioning that at all - I was trying to agree with you. :)

Except about the green jerseys. ;)

BlackAces*

I'm not questioning that at all - I was trying to agree with you. :)

Except about the green jerseys. ;)

Ahh, I see, my bad.

Yeah, lets just hope the crowds and the team end on a high note, and indications are that they will.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
canada can't sellout the season opener! move them to canada!:help:

seriously people care waaaaaaaay too much about attendence. it has very little to do with how much an area likes hockey

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Except that we drew 17,500 to the Canada-Sweden exhibition game during last year's WJC.

Thats one game and a game including 2 hockey heavy weights.Would toronto be able to get good crowds for games that involve switzerland and germany etc i think thats up for debate.Toronto does not have a good track record of supporting anything out side of the nhl.

Cappo40*

Hamilton sold out for the Canada vs Slovakia WJHC Exhibition game last year...

We should get the tourny..:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad