Atlantic Division predictions part 2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
ya a 25 yo average back up has as mych chance as an already proven 26 yo number 1 goalterder at being a legit #1

hate to burst your bubble man but Andersen is not an ALREADY PROVEN #1. He's started a little over 90 games the past 2 seasons. He led Anaheim in starts in 14 / 15 in part due to Gibson's age and in part due to injury. He had an opportunity last season to more firmly establish himself as the Ducks #1. He DID NOT do that. And at the end of last season, the Ducks decided to move forward with Gibson, not Andersen.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
hate to burst your bubble man but Andersen is not an ALREADY PROVEN #1. He's started a little over 90 games the past 2 seasons. He led Anaheim in starts in 14 / 15 in part due to Gibson's age and in part due to injury. He had an opportunity last season to more firmly establish himself as the Ducks #1. He DID NOT do that. And at the end of last season, the Ducks decided to move forward with Gibson, not Andersen.

Plus Lehner just turned 25 in July and Andersen turns 27 in a month. So saying 25 vs 26 is somewhat misleading. It's much closer to a 2 yr age difference.

And if you want to look at age - Andersen never played an NHL game until he was 24 years old, and he only played 28 games that year (about the same # Lehner played last season, and he would have played a lot more if not for injury). Andersen Didn't start 50+ until he was 25 (Lehner's age for this coming season). And FA only started 50+ once in his NHL career.

Lehner on the other hand played in the NHL at age 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24. Pretty impressive when you look at the list of goalies who have played in the NHL at that same age and you consider that a lot of very good NHL goalies never even played an NHL game until they were 24-25 years old.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Plus Lehner just turned 25 in July and Andersen turns 27 in a month. So saying 25 vs 26 is somewhat misleading. It's much closer to a 2 yr age difference.

And if you want to look at age - Andersen never played an NHL game until he was 24 years old, and he only played 28 games that year (about the same # Lehner played last season, and he would have played a lot more if not for injury). Andersen Didn't start 50+ until he was 25 (Lehner's age for this coming season). And FA only started 50+ once in his NHL career.

Lehner on the other hand played in the NHL at age 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24. Pretty impressive when you look at the list of goalies who have played in the NHL at that same age and you consider that a lot of very good NHL goalies never even played an NHL game until they were 24-25 years old.

Goalies are voodoo.

Tim Thomas didn't even get regular games until he was 31

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Montreal
4. Boston
5. Detroit
6. Buffalo
7. Ottawa
8. Toronto

I found it this pretty hard. I think Tampa and Florida will be in the top 2. After that I have no idea.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You better hope it is, with all the smack talking you've done about the Sabres goaltending this offseason. lol (j/k)

Plus your team giving up a 1st + 2nd round pick for Andersen and then a $5M x 5yr contract before he ever played a game for the Leafs...

And yeah Buffalo gave up a 1st for Lehner, but he had term left on his deal and will still be a RFA when it expires. Buffalo has more of a luxury of figuring out if Lehner is indeed our guy before committing long term to him. Leafs don't have that same luxury. It's tough to trade over priced, underperforming goalies too (not saying that is what Andersen will be, just saying that he is likely a Leaf for a while, good or bad).

I have talked a lot but Keep in mind nothing I have said has been a lie or inaccurate

I said he put up good numbers last year he did

I said he only played 21 games last year he did.

I said that's to small a sample size it is.

I said he's never played above 36 games in a season he hasn't

I said he's less Proven than Reimer he is

I said Reimer is a backup he is

I said that makes Lehner a backup this one can change but for now it does.

Everything I have said about Buffalo has been true, which need I remind you has included the fact they are on the rise I have praised what they are building overall It's just the goaltending and to a MUCH lesser extend Kulikov and that's has more to do with the fact when he signs be it Buffalo or anywhere else he's going to get paid to put up 35+ points a season but he can't .

With that said I do think you got the player and you moved up 5 spots so it was a good trade but the next contract could be questionable

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With a quarter of the season done and thanksgiving come and gone, I thought it would be worthwhile revisiting this discussion;

Current Atlantic div standings:
Team|GP|W|L|OT|Pts|pts%
Montreal|21| 15| 4| 2| 32| .762
Tampa Bay |21| 13| 7| 1| 27| .643
Ottawa|20| 12| 7| 1| 25| .625
Boston|20| 11 |9 |0 |22 |.550
Florida|20 |10| 9| 1| 21| .525
Toronto|20 |8 |8| 4| 20| .500
Detroit|20| 9| 10| 1| 19| .475
Buffalo| 20 |7 |8 |5 |19 |.475

Pretty darn tight, so a lot can still change.

Surprises:
- Mtl off to another red hot start. I knew they'd be better than last years finish, but I wasn't expecting quite the start they had.
- Ottawa top 10 in goals against, bottom 10 in goals for; complete reversal of last year.
- Boston doing much better than I expected.

Some key injuries have impacted teams like Buffalo, and Florida. Should be fun to see what happens when/if everybody is healthy.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
With a quarter of the season done and thanksgiving come and gone, I thought it would be worthwhile revisiting this discussion;

Team|GP|W|L|OT|Pts|pts%

Surprises:
- Mtl off to another red hot start. I knew they'd be better than last years finish, but I wasn't expecting quite the start they had.
- Ottawa top 10 in goals against, bottom 10 in goals for; complete reversal of last year.

Some key injuries have impacted teams like Buffalo, and Florida. Should be fun to see what happens when/if everybody is healthy.

Very competitive division. Toronto is much tougher than I thought they would be. We will see if teams start dropping down as the season wears on but should be fun to watch the rest of the year.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Very competitive division. Toronto is much tougher than I thought they would be. We will see if teams start dropping down as the season wears on but should be fun to watch the rest of the year.

Agreed, it's a tough division, down the road there are plenty of teams with young cores that will probably improve. I can see Red Wings struggle unless they do something, they sit on some bad contracts for mediocre/old players and I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, it's a tough division, down the road there are plenty of teams with young cores that will probably improve. I can see Red Wings struggle unless they do something, they sit on some bad contracts for mediocre/old players and I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs this season.

Only 3 pts separate last from 4th place in the division. Any one of those teams is still in a good position to compete for a wild card spot.

I honestly think team health is going to be the difference between who makes the playoffs and who misses.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I want all Canadian teams in the playoffs, well at least in this division. Would make playoffs really interesting with a potential battle of Ontario, Toronto v Montreal or Ottawa v Montreal round 3

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Team|GP|W|L|OT|Pts|pts%

Surprises:

Key injury to also Habs-Chucky .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad