Atlantic Division predictions part 2

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Wasn't expecting that thread to fill lol

part 1: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1928785

Tampa-Best team in the Atlantic last year gets the benefit of the doubt
Florida-I think they'll be good for second
Montreal-If Price is as good as he was before injury they could sneak up on Florida easily
Buffalo-Had a decent second half and a good off season
Detroit-Always hangs around
Ottawa-85 points or so
Boston-No playoffs last year, Eriksson>Backes, no d
Toronto-Love the rebuild, but they'll still suck next year

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
1. Tampa
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. Florida
5. Boston
6. Buffalo
7. Toronto
8. Detroit

Detroit is in for a really tough year in my opinion.

Toronto's offence from their rookies is enough to get them out of the bottom position in this division.

Ottawa (hometown bias granted) looks solid up and down the lineup and I think Boucher and Crawford behind the bench will be HUGE for this team which hasn't had good coaching in nearly a decade now.

Tampa is clearly the best team in the division.

Montreal with Price and Weber have solid stability in the back and I think Radulov is going to be huge this year.

Buffalo - edit: I kind of forgot a lot of the changes buffalo made and the support pieces they've added. They'll probably do better than I have them on my list but I'll stick with 6th as my prediction!

Florida squeaks into a wildcard berth but Luongo will really start to slow down this year (moreso than previous seasons).

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. Tampa
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. Florida
5. Boston
6. Buffalo
7. Toronto
8. Detroit

Toronto's offence from their rookies is enough to get them out of the bottom position in this division.

Ottawa (hometown bias granted) looks solid up and down the lineup and I think Boucher and Crawford behind the bench will be HUGE for this team which hasn't had good coaching in nearly a decade now.

Montreal with Price and Weber have solid stability in the back and I think Radulov is going to be huge this year.

Buffalo - I like ROR but that's about it on their team. They still aren't quite there yet.

Florida squeaks into a wildcard berth but Luongo will really start to slow down this year (moreso than previous seasons).

Yea because Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo don't even deserve a mention :shakehead

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Questions in Atlantic

Has Buffalo improved enough to get a playoff spot? (Not quite in my opinion, but close)

Will Ottawa be much stronger this year with less injuries to key players? (Likely)

Did Florida overachieve last year? (Tough one, but I sort of think they will have a similar season this year)

Montreal? (Biggest mystery it seems on these boards, people have them in first and last)

Is Anderson going to bring Toronto off the floor of the division? (He'll bring them off the floor of the league, but I don't see them anywhere but last in the atlantic)

Then you have Boston (No defense), Tampa (clear favourite), and Detroit (No real improvements)

That's why the last thread went to 1000 so fast, its actually a tough division to predict right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Questions in Atlantic

Has Buffalo improved enough to get a playoff spot? (Not quite in my opinion, but close)

Will Ottawa be much stronger this year with less injuries to key players? (Likely)

Did Florida overachieve last year? (Tough one, but I sort of think they will have a similar season this year)

Montreal? (Biggest mystery it seems on these boards, people have them in first and last)

Is Anderson going to bring Toronto off the floor of the division? (He'll bring them off the floor of the league, but I don't see them anywhere but last in the atlantic)

Then you have Boston (No defense), Tampa (clear favourite), and Detroit (No real improvements)

That's why the last thread went to 1000 so fast, its actually a tough division to predict right now.

Yeah only team everyone is 100% on are the Lightning. Everyone else is just a guess, more or less.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the key addition to Buffalo this year was Kulikov. That's not saying that a full season of Lehner or getting Okposo aren't a big deal, but that LHD was a huge need imo. I say Buffalo pushes for a playoff spot.

I think both eastern divisions take 4 spots each. It won't be 3-5 like last season. In the Atlantic, Tampa and Florida are locks. Then it's two of Montreal/Buffalo/Boston, but probably Montreal is a lock if Price stays healthy.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
1. Tampa
2. Montreal
3. Ottawa
4. Florida
5. Boston
6. Buffalo
7. Toronto
8. Detroit

Buffalo - I like ROR but that's about it on their team. They still aren't quite there yet.

This is why we got Reimer

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah only team everyone is 100% on are the Lightning. Everyone else is just a guess, more or less.

And even then. Tampa was VERY inconsistent all of last season. They got it together for a very solid effort in playoffs - and again enter this year maybe #1 cup favorites or close - but it's hardly a guarantee they put together a consistent top end season in 1st place as they struggled a lot last year and even seemed close to miss the playoffs very deep into the season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Buffalo - I like ROR but that's about it on their team. They still aren't quite there yet
ROR/Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart is going to be one of the elite cores in the NHL. Support players like Okposo, Kulikov, Kane, McCabe, Bogosian, Girgensons, Lehner, Ennis, and Larsson is far from nothing.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
ROR/Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart is going to be one of the elite cores in the NHL. Support players like Okposo, Kulikov, Kane, McCabe, Bogosian, Girgensons, Lehner, Ennis, and Larsson is far from nothing.

I think Reinhart gets underrated around here. Still think he'll be quite an important piece for Buffalo.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

The big question about Florida is how their defensive overhaul turns out.
When you replace 3 of your top 4 how long will it take to build chemistry?
Could go either way.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Boston
4. Detroit
5. Montreal
6 - 8 (Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto too close to call)

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The guy scored 23 goals as a rookie. I still don't understand why people are sleeping on him.

Because someone scores goals on every team, including bad or growing teams. I really need to see Buffalo make a playoff push this year or next or I'm on the verge of calling them Edmonton East (a label we had in Ottawa a while ago, sadly).

Anyway, TB-FLA-MTL/OTT top 3, OTT/DET final bubble spot, TO improvement, the end.

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
And even then. Tampa was VERY inconsistent all of last season. They got it together for a very solid effort in playoffs - and again enter this year maybe #1 cup favorites or close - but it's hardly a guarantee they put together a consistent top end season in 1st place as they struggled a lot last year and even seemed close to miss the playoffs very deep into the season.

We were missing 2-4 of our top 6 for, what, half the season?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Because someone scores goals on every team, including bad or growing teams. I really need to see Buffalo make a playoff push this year or next or I'm on the verge of calling them Edmonton East (a label we had in Ottawa a while ago, sadly).

Anyway, TB-FLA-MTL/OTT top 3, OTT/DET final bubble spot, TO improvement, the end.

We are literally nothing like Edmonton was though?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's funny seeing Detroit last lol. No improvements but they were in the playoffs last year

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Tbl should contend.
Flo playoff bound.
Mon should bounce back.
Ott solid mediocre team.
Bos need better defence.
Tor need better defence.
Buf need better goaltending.
Det need upgrades everywhere.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Buffalo was really bad for two years, didn't get a single 1OA pick though Eichel is pretty much a home run 1OA in any other year then his own, and they took a big step last year improving drastically once everyone settled in. They are nothing like Edmonton east, they went below .500 for the first time in their rebuild in 2013-14, and we're in the playoffs in 2010-11. They were a playoff team when Edmonton drafted Hall 1OA and look to have turned it around already, while Edmonton still finished 29th.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Buffalo was really bad for two years, didn't get a single 1OA pick though Eichel is pretty much a home run 1OA in any other year then his own, and they took a big step last year improving drastically once everyone settled in. They are nothing like Edmonton east, they went below .500 for the first time in their rebuild in 2013-14, and we're in the playoffs in 2010-11. They were a playoff team when Edmonton drafted Hall 1OA and look to have turned it around already, while Edmonton still finished 29th.

They still need a goalie and some help on their defence.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Goalie and defense were both fine last year. Both have been upgraded. Lehner has just as much chance as Andersen at being a legit #1 this season

You could say the same thing about the leafs and everyone is picking them to be last.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Goalie and defense were both fine last year. Both have been upgraded. Lehner has just as much chance as Andersen at being a legit #1 this season

ya a 25 yo average back up has as mych chance as an already proven 26 yo number 1 goalterder at being a legit #1

As for the standings I'll be the standout and say that Tampa wont be first but 2nd or 3rd behind Montreal and/or Florida

Ottawa and Buffalo will finishe 4th and 5th but they'll miss the playoffs

Boston Detroit and Toronto will fight for the last 3 spots

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad