Atlanta 3.0: Three local ownership groups emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I can't imagine half-empty buildings or shockingly low TV ratings can be that great for the League's reputation, either.

Atlanta is not the 8th largest TV market. As far as the NHL is concerned, it never will be.
If we give up now, what do we gain? Nothing.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The league didn't block the move of the Blues to Saskatoon FYI. The NHL has NEVER blocked a move.

Que?

Closing delays led to a relatively quiet period until April 19. On that day, Ralston authorized the sale of the Blues to Coliseum Holdings, Ltd (formerly Batoni-Hunter Enterprises) for about $12 million.

On May 2, Francis sought formal release from his contract as the president and general manager of the Blues and left to accept the same posts for the Hartford Whalers. Shortly thereafter, 60% of the remaining Blues employees were fired. Remaining staffers included the accounting department, scouting staff and coach Barclay Plager.

The only remaining obstacle preventing the Blues move to Saskatoon was the authorization by 75% of the NHL Board of Governors for the sale and transfer of the club.

On May 18, by a 15-3 vote, the Board rejected Ralston's sale to Hunter's group.
Among other things, the NHL felt such a small Canadian outpost had no chance of being self-sustaining or financially viable. This decision effectively ended Coliseum Holding's bid for the Blues and the club's transfer to Saskatoon. It also insured three months of chaos.

LINK: http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009/4/5/823172/the-saskatoon-blues-the-story

EDIT: I feel that establishing the fact that the NHL CAN block a move is important, considering the situation in Atlanta, and the owners... trustworthiness.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
EDIT: I feel that establishing the fact that the NHL CAN block a move is important, considering the situation in Atlanta, and the owners... trustworthiness.

You just established that the instance where most people claim the league blocked a relocation...that they didn't. They blocked the sale.

So...you're going to have to keep trying to establish that they can. They have the documents that they themselves generated that give them the power to do it....but in reality they can't and won't.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You just established that the instance where most people claim the league blocked a relocation...that they didn't. They blocked the sale.

So...you're going to have to keep trying to establish that they can. They have the documents that they themselves generated that give them the power to do it....but in reality they can't and won't.

The BoG blocked the sale on the basis that is was going to lead to relocation to Saskatoon, a non-desirable market.

Most people just cut out the middle man and say they blocked the relocation.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If we give up now, what do we gain? Nothing.

Agreed'. SG needs to go, Atlanta?. NO.

So...you're going to have to keep trying to establish that they can.

You some kinda "Secret Agent Man" for MLSE J93?. "How do you get to Saskatoon?. Dogsled"?. "Ohh, yer a troublemaker Stranger. You got a scent about you that trails all the way back to Harold Ballard"..... :biglaugh:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
The BoG blocked the sale on the basis that is was going to lead to relocation to Saskatoon, a non-desirable market.

Most people just cut out the middle man and say they blocked the relocation.

Which is why most people are wrong.

Saying...
'We don't want you in our group'
is not at all comparable to saying...
'You are in our group, you purchased this business....but we are not going to let you change the location in which you operate'.

Enormous difference....

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Which is why most people are wrong.

Saying...
'We don't want you in our group'
is not at all comparable to saying...
'You are in our group, you purchased this business....but we are not going to let you change the location in which you operate'.

Enormous difference....

Except the BoG didn't reject the deal because of the owner.

It was because of the market.

On May 18, by a 15-3 vote, the Board rejected Ralston's sale to Hunter's group. Among other things, the NHL felt such a small Canadian outpost had no chance of being self-sustaining or financially viable. This decision effectively ended Coliseum Holding's bid for the Blues and the club's transfer to Saskatoon. It also insured three months of chaos.

That's market. Nothing to do with the owner.

Why are you in such denial that the NHL has blocked a relocation?

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Except the BoG didn't reject the deal because of the owner.

It was because of the market.

That's market. Nothing to do with the owner.

Why are you in such denial that the NHL has blocked a relocation?

Because they haven't. They blocked a sale...why they blocked a sale doesn't matter.

Did the NHL block a relocation to Hamilton? No. They rejected Balsillie as an owner.

Was their intention in the Saskatoon Blues case to stop the move? Of course it was.

Why can nobody see the gigantic difference between a CURRENT OWNER moving his team (a la Karmanos) compared to a guy wanting to purchase an NHL team and immediately move it.

It's so incredibly different....it boggles the mind that people seem to think it's the same thing.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Because they haven't. They blocked a sale...why they blocked a sale doesn't matter.

Did the NHL block a relocation to Hamilton? No. They rejected Balsillie as an owner.

Was their intention in the Saskatoon Blues case to stop the move? Of course it was.

If you want to believe that, fine.

But please, don't get up my ass next time I reference a commonly accepted example because you don't happen to agree with it, over technicality no less!!

Why can nobody see the gigantic difference between a CURRENT OWNER moving his team (a la Karmanos) compared to a guy wanting to purchase an NHL team and immediately move it.

It's so incredibly different....it boggles the mind that people seem to think it's the same thing.

The last several relocations:

Minnesota to Dallas (owner move)
Quebec to Colorade (sale)
Winnipeg to Phoenix (sale)
Hartford to Carolina (owner move)
Phoenix to Hamilton (sale)

It happens both ways. And it is quite different.

Since there have been extensive reports about the owner's interest of selling the Thrashers, would it not be pertinent to focus on that aspect?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not until all local options have been exhausted.

(Standing BOH rule)

I actually meant in the context that, if the Thrashers were going to relocate (which I don't wish to see), it would be through the sale option (on the reasons that I stated).

I keep forgetting that the Internet enjoys sucking all of the context out of posts.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
If you want to believe that, fine.

But please, don't get up my ass next time I reference a commonly accepted example because you don't happen to agree with it, over technicality no less!!
It is an enormous technicality....because you're talking about two entirely different things.
The last several relocations:

Minnesota to Dallas (owner move)
Quebec to Colorade (sale)
Winnipeg to Phoenix (sale)
Hartford to Carolina (owner move)
Phoenix to Hamilton (sale)

It happens both ways. And it is quite different.
Yup...it is different...that is what I have been saying.
Since there have been extensive reports about the owner's interest of selling the Thrashers, would it not be pertinent to focus on that aspect?
Fine by me....this was all in response to a poster's question....I answered and people challenged it...if people want to carry on and not discuss the relocation potential....go nuts.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I actually meant in the context that, if the Thrashers were going to relocate (which I don't wish to see), it would be through the sale option (on the reasons that I stated).

I keep forgetting that the Internet enjoys sucking all of the context out of posts.

I understood. In this case if the Thrashers Ownership is determined to sell....the NHL will have the chance to reject a potential Owner and his/her relocation plans.
If it comes down to relocation it will likely be through a sale anyway.....but the NHL will be hard pressed to reject a buyer based on his/her relocation plan since options would be very limited by that point.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not until all local options have been exhausted.

Will not come even remotely close to exhaustion. SG are "Kissing Cousins" to everything that was, could be or ever will be wrong with the intransigence of ownership in pro sports. Atlanta Will Stand. Bet on it.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
A better market...one that generates good revenues and portrays a good image of the NHL. That's just for starters...I'm sure I could come up with more stuff....

Just like the NHL should of done when Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington weren't drawing fans, right? :sarcasm:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
right now we know that ASG are on record saying that they do not want to own the franchise next season and they have been looking to sell for years....with only vague information about the level of interest or intent from any local buyer, the meter is still a lot closer to the owner's original threat than it is to a resolution.

The sale of a NHL franchise is a lot different than deciding which water heater to buy for your house. NHL franchise sales take a lot of time.

Atlanta Spirit may not want to own the team next season, but they may start out that way anyhow.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Don't believe a word coming from ASG. They've shown time and time again that they'll lie to accomplish what they need.

they may have been "looking" for a buyer for years, but because of pending litigation, couldn't act on anything. they've only been able to act on things since late december.

I also want everyone to understand the divide amongst the Atlanta Septoturd Group(tm)

1. The Atlanta Faction--Rutherford Seydel, Michael Gearon Sr, Michael Gearon Jr.
Seydel is an attorney. Gearon Sr was a real estate developer and GM of the Hawks from 1977-1979. then he was made President. gearon Sr was also president of Turner broadcasting. The younger Gearon started Gearon Communications. All three are basketball guys, and seem to be remorseful about how things have gone down with ASG.

2. The Washington Faction--Bruce Levinson, Ed Peskowitz, Todd Foreman
Levinson is the ring leader of this bunch. He was also the de-facto in charge of the Thrashers. Common thought is this bunch is tired of owning the thing, and want to be done. Peskowitz is rumored to be in failing health, and foreman is basically Levinson's lackey. Neither Peskowitz or Foreman have ever been seen at Thrashers games. Levinson is famous for telling a fan with legitimate complaints at a Season Ticket Holder town hall meeting to "Deal with it."

3. The Who Knows Where Faction- Beau Turner
Beau Turner is friends with the Gearons, Seydel and Levinson. He also happens to be the son of the former owner of the Thrashers, so he was able to arrange a sweet deal of $30 million for the Thrashers, Hawks and operating rights to Philips Arena. nobody knows where Beau is or what he does, outside of operating his daddy's charitable trusts.

4. The Other Idiot(tm)- Steve Belkin
Belkin got mad at the other turds when they signed Joe Johnson to a $70 million contract. He wanted out of the group, but also started the litigation that just settled. He was the only member of the group from Boston.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Don't believe a word coming from ASG. They've shown time and time again that they'll lie to accomplish what they need.

they may have been "looking" for a buyer for years, but because of pending litigation, couldn't act on anything. they've only been able to act on things since late december.

I also want everyone to understand the divide amongst the Atlanta Septoturd Group(tm)

1. The Atlanta Faction--Rutherford Seydel, Michael Gearon Sr, Michael Gearon Jr.
Seydel is an attorney. Gearon Sr was a real estate developer and GM of the Hawks from 1977-1979. then he was made President. gearon Sr was also president of Turner broadcasting. The younger Gearon started Gearon Communications. All three are basketball guys, and seem to be remorseful about how things have gone down with ASG.

2. The Washington Faction--Bruce Levinson, Ed Peskowitz, Todd Foreman
Levinson is the ring leader of this bunch. He was also the de-facto in charge of the Thrashers. Common thought is this bunch is tired of owning the thing, and want to be done. Peskowitz is rumored to be in failing health, and foreman is basically Levinson's lackey. Neither Peskowitz or Foreman have ever been seen at Thrashers games. Levinson is famous for telling a fan with legitimate complaints at a Season Ticket Holder town hall meeting to "Deal with it."

3. The Who Knows Where Faction- Beau Turner
Beau Turner is friends with the Gearons, Seydel and Levinson. He also happens to be the son of the former owner of the Thrashers, so he was able to arrange a sweet deal of $30 million for the Thrashers, Hawks and operating rights to Philips Arena. nobody knows where Beau is or what he does, outside of operating his daddy's charitable trusts.

4. The Other Idiot(tm)- Steve Belkin
Belkin got mad at the other turds when they signed Joe Johnson to a $70 million contract. He wanted out of the group, but also started the litigation that just settled. He was the only member of the group from Boston.

the Atlanta faction is the only part that seems to have a soul. i know Seydel attends lots of games

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
A better market...one that generates good revenues and portrays a good image of the NHL. That's just for starters...I'm sure I could come up with more stuff....
Listen I am not a fan of Atlanta as a city but as a market its important. Good image in Canada means nothing and you know that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No news, just comments from Ray Ferraro who use to play for the Thrashers.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnists/thrashing+Atlanta/4502446/story.html

"There are three things," suggested Ferraro. "Ownership is a mess, and if the very top isn't settled, then there's no direction and nobody really in charge. They've had four playoff games in 10 years, and who is going to watch a team that never makes the playoffs? And the third thing is that it's a fickle sports town. It is college football first by a mile. Then it's NASCAR, and then you get into the pro sports.

"It's an odd market to start with."

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
No news, just comments from Ray Ferraro who use to play for the Thrashers.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnists/thrashing+Atlanta/4502446/story.html

"There are three things," suggested Ferraro. "Ownership is a mess, and if the very top isn't settled, then there's no direction and nobody really in charge. They've had four playoff games in 10 years, and who is going to watch a team that never makes the playoffs? And the third thing is that it's a fickle sports town. It is college football first by a mile. Then it's NASCAR, and then you get into the pro sports.

"It's an odd market to start with."

Former Whale too!!

Completely agree with the college football comment, but I really don't with the NASCAR. Other than the two times (now just one) there's a race here, I never hear it talked about. They actually took a race away last year.

EDIT: Pretty strange article. It's supposed to be about why he thinks nobody would buy the team, but then just talks about how bad current ownership and player performance is. He also says that the team shouldn't be run the same way. Why on earth would any potential buyer plan on running the team the same way?

Last edited:

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Listen I am not a fan of Atlanta as a city but as a market its important. Good image in Canada means nothing and you know that.

You've said this a few times, but I'm still not sure what you mean by "good image"? Why are so you concerned about how the NHL may or may not be perceived in the United States?

Are you one of these people who can't appreciate anything unless it's considered "big-league" or popular?

Further, the NHL's "good image" in Canada is essentially the economic engine that drives the League, so it sure as **** does matter, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad