Atlanta 3.0: Three local ownership groups emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
simply that there are many who believe that the phoenix - winnipeg - atlanta stories are three chapters of the same book.

this whole thing all fits together like some twisted graphic novel.....

one person tweeting about some guy dubbed the balkan in atlanta,
the two year long three ringed circus that has been the reinsdorf, ice edge, matty hulsizer show in phoenix
and 18 months of the 'i know a guy who heard from a guy' thing in winnipeg forced on us by the most secretive prospective ownership group in the history of pro sports....

its time for someone to write an ending.....golf season is upon us.

Yes, golf season is here. Have my first tee time tomorrow aft.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Nice jerseys, but the left arm leaves something to be desired without ATLANTA on the sleeve.

In any case, Congrats!

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
That's awesome news for the Winnipeg midget team.

I wonder if this is a precursor to events of our own Thrashers in Atlanta... :naughty:

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Nice jerseys, but the left arm leaves something to be desired without ATLANTA on the sleeve.

To be fair, it looks like the old Nike/CCM one as opposed to the current reebok one, and it kind of looks like they put Thrashers on the sleeve instead.

I know these processes can be slow, but I am hoping for ATL fans that we start seeing movement soon. I think their window of selling to a local interest has to be closing. (assuming of course they WON'T own the team in ATL for another season while they close a sale.)

Who knows? Phoenix got 2 years and counting to try to keep the team here, and there's no true set time window. It's just "when all the options are exhausted"... so in theory, that could be next week or next year or next millennium depending on how the local attempts go and how long they take.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
To be fair, it looks like the old Nike/CCM one as opposed to the current reebok one, and it kind of looks like they put Thrashers on the sleeve instead.

Who knows? Phoenix got 2 years and counting to try to keep the team here, and there's no true set time window. It's just "when all the options are exhausted"... so in theory, that could be next week or next year or next millennium depending on how the local attempts go and how long they take.

Are you saying the NHL will own the Thrashers next year? Or the Septotards will absorb another year's worth of losses? I didn't think either of these things were going to happen.

Obviously, we've seen more twists and turns with both the Coyotes and Thrashers ownership than we ever thought we would, so anything is possible, just wondering which one you think is likely IF a deal isn't closed this year.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Obviously, we've seen more twists and turns with both the Coyotes and Thrashers ownership than we ever thought we would, so anything is possible, just wondering which one you think is likely IF a deal isn't closed this year.

My THEORY, which is pure speculation, is that the Septotards will hang on. When they finally do sell, the cost will include any losses incurred.

Doesn't mean it will or won't happen. Just a thought.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My THEORY, which is pure speculation, is that the Septotards will hang on. When they finally do sell, the cost will include any losses incurred.

Doesn't mean it will or won't happen. Just a thought.

I would imagine in that case that they would have to be far enough along in the negotiations to feel comfortable that a sale would be forthcoming. I would personally like to see something concrete come out of the negotiation process soon, something that points towards progress. (as I'm sure y'all do too :) )

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Are you saying the NHL will own the Thrashers next year? Or the Septotards will absorb another year's worth of losses? I didn't think either of these things were going to happen.

Bettman pretty much said on radio he's not expecting the Thrasher to be anywhere other than Atlanta next season and he previously laughed at the thought of the NHL buying the team. This leads me to believe the Thrasher will be in Atlanta for another season in which time they are sold to someone willing to keep the team in Atlanta or to True North.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Bettman pretty much said on radio he's not expecting the Thrasher to be anywhere other than Atlanta next season and he previously laughed at the thought of the NHL buying the team. This leads me to believe the Thrasher will be in Atlanta for another season in which time they are sold to someone willing to keep the team in Atlanta or to True North.

This is the feeling I came away with as well.

Using Phoenix as a baseline, you never can tell what will happen...

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Who knows? Phoenix got 2 years and counting to try to keep the team here, and there's no true set time window. It's just "when all the options are exhausted"....

they are very different situations though....phoenix got 2 years because the NHL bought them and then got a government to pay the losses for a season....they would have been gone a year ago had that not happened and they might have been gone 2 years ago had the potential buyer not wanted to relocate to southern ontario......none of that exists in atlanta

this isn't about how long the NHL will give ASG to find a buyer....it is about how long ASG will go without one....

the options exhausted thing is a bit bogus as well....not exactly an enforceable bylaw....they have already said they have been looking to sell for 5 years.....that sets the table for the exit strategy if they want to use it.

once phoenix is solved either way...that's when it will get really interesting....do you prefer french vultures circling overhead or english ones?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bettman said that "at this point in time" he has no reason to expect Atlanta to play anywhere but Atlanta next year. He and Daly have studiously avoided the sort of firm declarations in support of the Atlanta market that I would have expected. I think that if they wanted, they could quickly and easily snuff out any speculation of relocation of the Atlanta franchise, but have left that door a crack open. I think it is puzzling, since I credit Bettman with very deliberate and strategic message control.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bettman said that "at this point in time" he has no reason to expect Atlanta to play anywhere but Atlanta next year. He and Daly have studiously avoided the sort of firm declarations in support of the Atlanta market that I would have expected. I think that if they wanted, they could quickly and easily snuff out any speculation of relocation of the Atlanta franchise, but have left that door a crack open. I think it is puzzling, since I credit Bettman with very deliberate and strategic message control.

So, if you want to parse words, how do you explain the quote where he told Quebec and Winnipeg fans that they shouldn't get excited about getting a team because the NHL is NOT going to relocate any teams and expansion is not in the works. And he was DIRECT about that.

If he's willing to lie once about relocation in the State of the League address, why not just say, "The Thrashers aren't moving and neither is Phoenix," in some baseless interview?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, if you want to parse words, how do you explain the quote where he told Quebec and Winnipeg fans that they shouldn't get excited about getting a team because the NHL is NOT going to relocate any teams and expansion is not in the works. And he was DIRECT about that.

If he's willing to lie once about relocation in the State of the League address, why not just say, "The Thrashers aren't moving and neither is Phoenix," in some baseless interview?

I take him at his word, and think it is unwise for fans in Winnipeg or Quebec to get their hopes up. I also think that fans in Phoenix and Atlanta can take heart that Bettman and the NHL will try hard to keep teams in those cities.

Relocation will only happen if there is not a suitable ownership option in a city. What none of us know, and Bettman might, is how likely it is that local sales will be completed, how soon decisions need to be made, and what contingency plans are being considered. That's why I pay attention to what Bettman says, and how he says it. Remembering that his knowledge far exceeds anyone else about what is likely to happen is more important to focus on than trying to read or question his motives.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Phoenix got 2 years and counting to try to keep the team here, and there's no true set time window. It's just "when all the options are exhausted"... so in theory, that could be next week or next year or next millennium depending on how the local attempts go and how long they take.

Which is more likely? There's a report saying the Thrashers lost $8 million this year. That's not bad at all, nothing like the Coyotes.

But to answer the question, someone has to "own" the team. The NHL doesn't need to bail out the Thrashers, as the NHL has to approve a new owner, so ASG must own the Thrashers until they take some kind of legal step to no longer own them, so...
they are very different situations though....phoenix got 2 years because the NHL bought them and then got a government to pay the losses for a season....they would have been gone a year ago had that not happened and they might have been gone 2 years ago had the potential buyer not wanted to relocate to southern ontario......none of that exists in atlanta
Based upon what? The fact there hasn't been much reporting on those that have looked at the books?

Terry Pegula bought the Sabres, and had been looking at them for some time before an announcement of an exclusive negotiation period and ownership of the team was finally issued. Just because someone in the Golden Horseshoe has shown intentions to purchase a team and move it there doesn't equate to no interest in Atlanta.

I still personally feel the NHL would much more strongly prefer the Thrashers end up with new ownership in Atlanta, as the market has shown much more potential than compared to Phoenix.
this isn't about how long the NHL will give ASG to find a buyer....it is about how long ASG will go without one....
ASG will go without a new owner of the Thrashers until they find one that can be approved by the BoG.
the options exhausted thing is a bit bogus as well....not exactly an enforceable bylaw....they have already said they have been looking to sell for 5 years.....that sets the table for the exit strategy if they want to use it.
Although finding options may be an unenforceable, both the sale of the franchise and the relocation of it must still be placed for vote by the full BoG. We already know what happens when a suitor that was welcomed with open arms and approved by the BoG decides to buck the NHL way.

The court documents regarding the malpractice suit filed by Atlanta Spirit are intended to gain as much money from their former lawyers as quickly as possible. Therefore, any possible loss is being claimed, such as franchise devaluation and operational losses, even if ASG can be later determined to be responsible for those losses. I wouldn't put a ton of faith on what was placed within court documents as claims regarding the franchise valuation and the operational losses occurred within the seven-year non-relocation covenant signed between ASG and the NHL.

Rather than spread some fear, let's have an idea how you believe this will play out. Obviously you believe that the Thrashers will be sold and relocated, but how?

Fugu

This thread is about ten posts away from an auto-shutdown, so I'm going to pull the plug.

Let's not start another one until there's something new to report.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad