Atlanta 3.0: Three local ownership groups emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killroy*

You need to cough up a link to a source on this pretty quick. Nobody, not even Canadian media, has reported official interest in the ASG package by a group from Quebec.

Don't get your hopes up. By the way, excellent job keeping this thread on topic and holding posters accountable for rumors and source-less "facts". :handclap:

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Since 2005, the Thrashers have been sold and moved to Canada about 800 times. Here's what we know as fact, as summarized by SilverRiver89 over on the Thrashers board.....

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports 5 NDAs have been signed....2 of those want to buy the whole shooting match; Thrashers, Hawks and Philips Arena. The AJC also reports that one of these groups has interest in developing "The Gulch," and empty lot next to Philips Arena and the Georgia Dome.

Via Craig Custance and Chris Vivlamore, Current AJC Thrasher beat writer, there are three groups interested in buying the Thrashers and keeping them in Atlanta. Two are groups, one is an individual. Two of the groups are from Atlanta(Per AJC) and one is from Michigan(Per Toronto Sun). One group hasn't contacted the team in a while(team reports via AP and AJC). most Thrasher fans believe this to be the Rollins group.

Then there's #TheBalkan....
#TheBalkan is a party that became interested after hearing current Atlanta Septoturd member Michael Gearon Jr. on the radio. he contacted Kincade, who introduced #TheBalkan to the Septoturds. Kincade is the only person reporting on #TheBalkan, and says #TheBalkan syas the the Septoturds are lying....That there is noone interested in just buying the Thrashers....That it's everything or nothing. Kincade is by far the most accurate source of info on the Thrashers.

Chris Vivlamore is acting like a 12 year old because he keeps getting scooped by Kincade. As for anything from Atlanta Septoturd Group.....Don't believe a word they say. Bruce Levinson has shown time after time that he'll lie through his teeth and blame the fans.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Since 2005, the Thrashers have been sold and moved to Canada about 800 times. Here's what we know as fact, as summarized by SilverRiver89 over on the Thrashers board.....

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports 5 NDAs have been signed....2 of those want to buy the whole shooting match; Thrashers, Hawks and Philips Arena. The AJC also reports that one of these groups has interest in developing "The Gulch," and empty lot next to Philips Arena and the Georgia Dome.

Via Craig Custance and Chris Vivlamore, Current AJC Thrasher beat writer, there are three groups interested in buying the Thrashers and keeping them in Atlanta. Two are groups, one is an individual. Two of the groups are from Atlanta(Per AJC) and one is from Michigan(Per Toronto Sun). One group hasn't contacted the team in a while(team reports via AP and AJC). most Thrasher fans believe this to be the Rollins group.

Then there's #TheBalkan....
#TheBalkan is a party that became interested after hearing current Atlanta Septoturd member Michael Gearon Jr. on the radio. he contacted Kincade, who introduced #TheBalkan to the Septoturds. Kincade is the only person reporting on #TheBalkan, and says #TheBalkan syas the the Septoturds are lying....That there is noone interested in just buying the Thrashers....That it's everything or nothing. Kincade is by far the most accurate source of info on the Thrashers.

Chris Vivlamore is acting like a 12 year old because he keeps getting scooped by Kincade. As for anything from Atlanta Septoturd Group.....Don't believe a word they say. Bruce Levinson has shown time after time that he'll lie through his teeth and blame the fans.

Either that guy doesn't have a clue what is really going on with Atlanta right now, or he's just posting rumors to get clicks. Either way its utter hogwash.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just for a larf, check out this headline:

Coyote delays jets at busy Atlanta airport

(from msnbc.com's travel section)

That is bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Just for a larf, check out this headline:

Coyote delays jets at busy Atlanta airport

(from msnbc.com's travel section)

That is bizarre.

I saw that this morning in the local news, and somehow knew it'd make its way to the BoH board before long ;)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pardon my ignorance but what is the current asking price of JUST the Thrashers?

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Pardon my ignorance but what is the current asking price of JUST the Thrashers?

I don't believe a figure has been released, as yet. It can't be a lot, though, given the value of the team itself is rather low.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't believe a figure has been released, as yet. It can't be a lot, though, given the value of the team itself is rather low.

Well, the Coyotes price is artificially fixed @ 170 million. The NHL had to overpay in BK court in order to win. The Thrashers would be the far more appealing buy, I would think.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, the Coyotes price is artificially fixed @ 170 million. The NHL had to overpay in BK court in order to win. The Thrashers would be the far more appealing buy, I would think.
From my understanding, there are a number of team looking for minority and majority ownership. You would figure that anyone wanting to buy an NHL team would go to a market where it would be a guaranteed slam dunk (IE St. Louis). Atlanta in Phillips arena with Atlanta Spirit owning the arena is most likely a bad investment and wouldn't fetch close to the $170 asking price.

Hulsizer is basically paying $70 million for the Coyotes.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Not that I think this is going to happen, but what would prevent the owners of a team like Atlanta from simply moving their teams to other markets (with an existing stadium or setup for NHL hockey)?

The NHL has shown in the past that owners can move their teams if they want (Carolina). These owners wouldn't be selling, just moving.

Once the teams move, they can build value in the new, hopefully more successful, market and eventually sell?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not that I think this is going to happen, but what would prevent the owners of a team like Atlanta from simply moving their teams to other markets (with an existing stadium or setup for NHL hockey)?

The NHL has shown in the past that owners can move their teams if they want (Carolina). These owners wouldn't be selling, just moving.

Once the teams move, they can build value in the new, hopefully more successful, market and eventually sell?

Any move must be sanctioned by the BoG. So if ASG the Thrashers wished to move to, say, Yellowknife, then they must first get permission from the League.

However, unless it is something silly (like my example, or the Blues to Saskatoon), then the League will probably not block it. But they can, if they so choose.

Also, most owners don't hold the steadfast belief that moving a team to Canada will magically fix all of a franchises' problems, and add three zero's to the franchise value, so to speak, that seems to grip many on this board.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

Absolutely nothing is stopping an Owner from doing that other than his respect for other members of the NHL and his business standing in his current market.

The NHL has never blocked a move and they likely never will...because no law supports it. The one thing that would prevent it is an arena lease that an owner might have to pay dearly for if broken.

[mod del]

Anyway....nothing prevents an Owner from moving whenever they please except leases.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Any move must be sanctioned by the BoG. So if ASG the Thrashers wished to move to, say, Yellowknife, then they must first get permission from the League.

However, unless it is something silly (like my example, or the Blues to Saskatoon), then the League will probably not block it. But they can, if they so choose.

Also, most owners don't hold the steadfast belief that moving a team to Canada will magically fix all of a franchises' problems, and add three zero's to the franchise value, so to speak, that seems to grip many on this board.

The league didn't block the move of the Blues to Saskatoon FYI. The NHL has NEVER blocked a move.

And I agree...simply moving to a Canadian market won't, by default, increase your franchise value. But, if you had a buyer lined up before the move...you would know what you could fetch and that there would at least be people interested. In some of these markets today you can't even find a willing buyer....never mind getting a decent offer. It has been made quite public how poorly some of these franchises are doing....people aren't interested in getting involved.

It isn't like the Thrashers, Coyotes or Panthers could say "We want to sell...we want at least $190M for the franchise." The response would be..."Uhh...ok. You might find one or two people interested....and you'll get whatever they are willing to pay for the franchise."

Bettman can go on and on about how revenues league-wide are up...and everything is hunky dory....but the Lightning sale, Dallas bankruptcy and Phoenix bankruptcy say otherwise. People don't want to own NHL franchises where they are right now. They want to buy them for a much much much better market....or they aren't interested. Buyer's market.

The actual franchise values of some of the teams in the NHL right now are probably below $65M. Which is pathetic.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
There are 5 ownership groups interested in keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta, three for just the Thrashers and two that want to purchase all ASG assets.

So it appears there is plenty of interest in them, and this is all withou the NHL making a big point of finding possible owners like they have in Phoenix.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
There are 5 ownership groups interested in keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta, three for just the Thrashers and two that want to purchase all ASG assets.

So it appears there is plenty of interest in them, and this is all withou the NHL making a big point of finding possible owners like they have in Phoenix.

The Coyotes have had 3 "interested" ownership groups too....and that isn't counting the "unnamed local group" crap either.

Does anyone expect to really see an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution saying "Not a single person interested in Thrashers or Hawks" or "Thrashers look to sell...not even a nibble as of yet"???

I seem to recall a couple articles discussing an interested group being fronted by Anson Carter. That should tell you how credible some of this "plenty of interest" stuff is.

Teams that have "plenty of interest" are sold like the Sabres were. Team is for sale...This guy is interested in buying them...he buys them. End.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
If you choose to just ignore media reports, not just the AJC, backed up with facts not conjecture. That is your business.

However the fact are what they are. Several groups have expressed interest in purchasing the Thrashers(Anson Carter rumored to be part of one group, certainly not a lead investor). Many of them have signed NDA, and are in due diligence talks right now.

The property around Philips Arena has gained quite a bit if interest with a new transit hub and plans for an outdoor stadium for the Falcons in place.

Like I said, there is interest. It may not pan out to anything, but several groups think the can do a better job that the current owners.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
If you choose to just ignore media reports, not just the AJC, backed up with facts not conjecture. That is your business.

However the fact are what they are. Several groups have expressed interest in purchasing the Thrashers(Anson Carter rumored to be part of one group, certainly not a lead investor). Many of them have signed NDA, and are in due diligence talks right now.

The property around Philips Arena has gained quite a bit if interest with a new transit hub and plans for an outdoor stadium for the Falcons in place.

Like I said, there is interest. It may not pan out to anything, but several groups think the can do a better job that the current owners.

All I was saying is when media reports say that several groups are "interested"....you have to put it in perspective. People "kick the tires" on sports franchises all the time....

You are making the leap that "media reports" equal "facts".

A group signing a non-disclosure agreement doesn't mean they are interested in purchasing the franchise....it means they are checking it out.

I dunno about you...but before I buy real estate I look at A LOT of real estate. That doesn't mean I am "interested" in purchasing all of them.

Possibly a simple difference of opinion on what certain words mean.....I was just implying that when you read there are 'several interested parties' that doesn't mean much of anything since you don't know how many or how serious they are.

Think about it...if you were interested in buying NHL Team A....and NHL Team B (Thrashers) are up for sale.....I'd sign a NDA and check the the Thrashers out...it would good me a very solid idea of how things in this league REALLY are...before I pursue Team A any further.

Happens all the time....teams that aren't even for sale (publicly) have people checking them out from time to time. The Thrashers situation is an issue because they have been shopping the team for years and because things aren't moving quickly. Like I said...look at the Sabres deal. They're for sale? This dood is interested. This dood is buying the Sabres? This dood bought the Sabres? Done.

None of this "interested parties" and "NDA" or "kicking the tires" bull-plop. By the time you know the team is for sale a buyer is already lined up and he buys the team. That isn't the case in Atlanta....which gives very good support to think that the sale isn't going to go all nice and smooth. Not to say it won't...just that it isn't.

Pro sports teams change hands all the time...they only get big media attention when the seller becomes desperate and a lot of lukewarm potential buyers become involved.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Sorry, but having NDAs in place are not just "kicking the tires." It's certainly not actually buying the team, but it's more than just saying "We're interested in buying." You don't bring in legal documents if there's nothing there. Besides, we already know one group, maybe two, have met with the NBA and NHL.

Depending on your agenda, you can choose to believe the sale is going well, or the sale is going roughly. The truth of the matter is we really don't know at this point.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This team needs to stay in ATL. Sespite what many Canadians say the 8th largest TV market lost is a blow to the image.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
A group signing a non-disclosure agreement doesn't mean they are interested in purchasing the franchise....it means they are checking it out.

I dunno about you...but before I buy real estate I look at A LOT of real estate. That doesn't mean I am "interested" in purchasing all of them.

They are checking it out. Because they want to buy an NHL team, an NBA team, and one of the top ten busiest arenas of its class in the world. Next to a transit hub that is about to be built in a top ten US Metro. This isn't just "real estate". The few interested parties that want the whole package are deadly serious about getting it, and they've probably been waiting for a while to have the Atlanta Spirit ownership issues come to some resolution.

Now, there are also interested parties that just want The Thrashers. Even then, there are only a handful of teams that are on the market right now. There isn't a lot of real estate to look at.

If you're a player in this at this stage, you're in it to win it. You're not some guy looking at houses checking out your options. These interested parties are too busy to be toying with ideas or kicking tires. They either want in or they're not playing.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Happens all the time....teams that aren't even for sale (publicly) have people checking them out from time to time. The Thrashers situation is an issue because they have been shopping the team for years and because things aren't moving quickly. Like I said...look at the Sabres deal. They're for sale? This dood is interested. This dood is buying the Sabres? This dood bought the Sabres? Done.

Rather disingenuous to compare the Thrashers situation to that of the Sabres, don't you think? The Sabres were never in danger of being moved. Their owner never came out and said "we need a buyer, or we're going to move to Nut Mountain, SK"

One of the Septotards, however, came out and said Atlanta may end up moving if a local buyer isn't found. That is why this is all in the news, while the Sabres deal was not. Hell, the deal with the Sabres probably took over a year to finalize. All these "reports" coming out saying the Thrashers have "weeks, not months or years" to get something done is absolute "bull-plop."

Atlanta has not been on the market for a buyer, simply because Atlanta's ownership has been in question since 2004. This is because of the rather lengthy litigation that took place between the Septotardsâ„¢ and that Other Idiotâ„¢. Rather, the Septotards were searching for an investor or two.

The lawsuit was settled in December 2010, and the "alarm" from Gearon was rang in January 2011. Only when the lawsuit was settled could the Septotards begin looking to actually sell the team.

Wanting to sell, and having the ability to sell, are two different things.

With NDAs signed, it's more than just "kicking the tires." It's "I'm interested. Let's talk money. What are your financials like? Hmm. This is what mine are like." etc etc.

The facts support the perspective of Atlanta fans. Yes, all three of us. :P

Dado

Assuming the case where only the Thrashers are sold off...one kind of arena deal will ASG need to make with the new owner to keep ASG in Cristal and bunnies?

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Assuming the case where only the Thrashers are sold off...one kind of arena deal will ASG need to make with the new owner to keep ASG in Cristal and bunnies?
I'm thinking somewhat like the Verizon Center / Wizards / Capitals here in DC.

The Caps owner also had a rather sizable minority interest in the Verizon Center, and the right of first refusal to purchase the Wizards and Verizon Center. Abe Pollin passed away about a year ago, and now Ted Leonsis owns the whole kit and kaboodle.

If Atlanta Spirit decides to sell only the Thrashers, they'll probably have to bubble in a minority share of the Philips Arena as well so that the deal is much more palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad