News Article: Athletic interview with Dubas

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Issue being, the players are substantially tied down by agents, who essentially don't give a crap about the team and making the cap fit.

See the thing is... it doesn't matter if the agent disagrees with what the player wants or signs. If he doesn't like it that much he can be fired and replaced with someone who mesh's better with what the player wants. And make nothing.

There is nothing substancial about it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
See the thing is... it doesn't matter if the agent disagrees with what the player wants or signs. If he doesn't like it that much he can be fired and replaced with someone who mesh's better with what the player wants. And make nothing.

There is nothing substancial about it.
No player is going to fire their agent in the middle of negotiations

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
where did i here M&M wanted 12.5 and 10 ?

obviously the same media which speculated Willie's holding out for 8 that everyone had to problem believing so why shouldn't we also believe the numbers coming from them about M&M ?

For the same reason that Eck is not believable. This is nothing but pure and absolute speculation. Not a single player or agent had mentioned a number anywhere. Duby and company sure as hell have not either. But apparently some members of the "media"( I use that word lightly as its an insult to true media members to be lumped in with the endless rhetoric and lies being manufactored everyday)
They know all and better then actual gms. Most of the media is nothing more then washed up players and gms that are not good or smart enough to get a better job...

Anything is pure speculation and conjecture. Most times that's all it ends up being too....baseless rumors.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
One-on-one with Leafs GM Kyle Dubas: On Babcock, offer...

This part stood out to me the most

Q: Speaking of some of those younger players. Isn’t it a risk to wait on extensions for Auston and Mitch given their potential this year?

A: Well, I think every day that they go unsigned and then every night that they perform to their potential there’s going to be angst. And we’ve had excellent discussions with Darren Ferris on Mitch and Judd Moldaver on Auston. It’s everybody’s ambition to continue to work towards deals that will keep them here, we hope, for their entire careers. That remains our ambition, what we’re working towards. It’s not a ploy by us to say, “Ah, we’ll wait and see how they do for the year.” I think we like them a lot and they like being here. They’re complex decisions and the circumstances here, with the salary cap being a hard cap, they’re not just simple discussions. We have to make it all fit. The players have all pledged that they want to make it all fit. Now it’s just working towards something that is fair, and that they don’t get into it a year and think, “Well, what did I do?” And vice-versa for us. So it’s been a good process with all of them, with their families, with their representatives, and we’ll just continue to work towards it during the season. And obviously we’d like to have deals as soon as we can, but I also recognize that they’re big-time decisions for everybody — the organization, the players — and they take time.

-----------------------

With all the anxiety of signing these guys, I think it's awesome to know that everyone knows they have to maybe take a discount to keep everyone.

WOW

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All three will be sign and then all we are going to talk about is Hyamn playing on JT wing, Leafs need bigger physical players and defense.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
No player is going to fire their agent in the middle of negotiations
If an agent is not doing what a player wants, the player will fire them. Agents have zero power to dictate how a player wants to handle a negotiation. They work FOR the player. Their job is to serve their client.

Additionally, if an agent “bullies” a player into holding out and then can’t deliver on getting contract money up, you can bet that agent’s rep is going to suffer.

This is Nylander’s call. The agent does nothing but handle the negotiations, relay back to the player and does what the player instructs them to do.

Reactions: dsred

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
he's right. the player has to accept the offer sheet. If Nylander says he will not accept any offer sheets, then none will be offered. its that simple.
I diasgree. Teams would submit an offer sheet if they have interest in a player. Nylander could accept or reject them. We have no evidence of either.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
If an agent is not doing what a player wants, the player will fire them. Agents have zero power to dictate how a player wants to handle a negotiation. They work FOR the player. Their job is to serve their client.

Additionally, if an agent “bullies” a player into holding out and then can’t deliver on getting contract money up, you can bet that agent’s rep is going to suffer.

This is Nylander’s call. The agent does nothing but handle the negotiations, relay back to the player and does what the player instructs them to do.
That's how it should work but not all players are astute educated business people and rely heavily on the agents intellect come contract negotiations to get them the best possible deal they could get representing them. This is where agents become the snakes in the business. Manipulation comes in many different forms. Athletes most of them play there specific sport and hire an agent to take care of the business side and trust what the agent tells them the call or play is on that front.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
That's how it should work but not all players are astute educated business people and rely heavily on the agents intellect come contract negotiations to get them the best possible deal they could get representing them. This is where agents become the snakes in the business. Manipulation comes in many different forms. Athletes most of them play there specific sport and hire an agent to take care of the business side and trust what the agent tells them the call or play is on that front.

That may have been what it was like by and large back in the day. But with multi million dollar contracts on the line you can bet your ass the players are a lot more savvy and aware of what they deserve, what is possible and what might have to be sacrificed if you want to raise that cup over your head.

Agents do not lead everyone around and inform them of what they get and that's that.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
But i think now what's going to happen is they're all going to be delayed on signing and leafs will move marleau and horton contract (ie costing us picks/assets) next year more thinking towards when everyone else needs larger contracts

Nope, NMC.

yeah, and? think of this year as his last year. People keep thinking he's going to keep playing but i dunno.... contract was structured to get him more money but also structured to dump him on year 3

We'll see. He doesn't look like he's on his last leg and he's on the hunt for a cup. Can't see him walking away from that.

Marleau has years of productive hockey left & Toronto's only issue is his 2019-20 cap hit.
The only question is whether Marleau chooses to continue playing & I think he will because:
  • He's 2 seasons (192 games) away from Gordie Howes record: Most GP in NHL History.
  • He's 3 seasons (238 games) away from Doug Jarvis record: Most Consecutive GP in NHL History.
  • He's 2 seasons (roughly) away from the Top-20: Most Goals Scored in NHL History.
  • He's still looking for a Stanley Cup & the Leafs will be contenders for the next few years.
  • He's had virtually zero injuries throughout his career & he still skates like a 25 year old.

Dubas has an easy solution & I haven't seen anyone on HF mention it:

STEP 1) Toronto trades Marleau to any team with free cap-space in 2019-20:
  • The trade happens after Marleau is paid his $3,000,000 signing bonus (July 1st 2019).
  • Marleau will only have $1,250,000 remaining on his contract after the bonus is paid.
  • Marleau will never actually leave Toronto (and will not object to the trade) because:
STEP 2) The receiving team immediately buys Marleau out of his contract:
  • The total (dollar) cost of the buyout will only be $833,333 (a non-issue for virtually any team).
  • But they won't get cap-relief (35+ contract) so they're stuck with a $6,250,000 cap-hit for 1-year.
  • Many teams will have sufficient cap-space in 2019-20 (single year cap-dumps are easy to manage).
  • The team that buys out Marleau will also get a 2nd or 3rd round pick (or prospect) from Toronto.
STEP 3) Toronto immediately re-signs Marleau to a new contract:
  • Marleau's original 2019-20 salary was $4,250,000 (his contract was front loaded).
  • But the Leafs already paid his $3,000,000 bonus & the buyout will pay him another $833,333.
  • Any 1-year contract above $416,667 gives Marleau a higher total salary than his original contract.
  • My guess is that he signs a 1-2 year deal with a cap-hit under $1,150,000 (the most you can bury).
STEP 4) Toronto keeps Marleau while saving $5,000,000+ in cap-space:
  • Marleau's happy (he stays in Toronto & makes more money than his current deal would pay him).
  • Toronto's happy (they keep Marleau for the foreseeable future & save millions in 2019-20 cap-space).
  • TBD Team is happy (they get a good draft pick in exchange for 800K & unused 2019-20 cap-space).

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I diasgree. Teams would submit an offer sheet if they have interest in a player. Nylander could accept or reject them. We have no evidence of either.

We would have evidence if he accepts an offer sheet. It would be made public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad