News Article: Athletic interview with Dubas

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
One-on-one with Leafs GM Kyle Dubas: On Babcock, offer...

This part stood out to me the most

Q: Speaking of some of those younger players. Isn’t it a risk to wait on extensions for Auston and Mitch given their potential this year?

A: Well, I think every day that they go unsigned and then every night that they perform to their potential there’s going to be angst. And we’ve had excellent discussions with Darren Ferris on Mitch and Judd Moldaver on Auston. It’s everybody’s ambition to continue to work towards deals that will keep them here, we hope, for their entire careers. That remains our ambition, what we’re working towards. It’s not a ploy by us to say, “Ah, we’ll wait and see how they do for the year.” I think we like them a lot and they like being here. They’re complex decisions and the circumstances here, with the salary cap being a hard cap, they’re not just simple discussions. We have to make it all fit. The players have all pledged that they want to make it all fit. Now it’s just working towards something that is fair, and that they don’t get into it a year and think, “Well, what did I do?” And vice-versa for us. So it’s been a good process with all of them, with their families, with their representatives, and we’ll just continue to work towards it during the season. And obviously we’d like to have deals as soon as we can, but I also recognize that they’re big-time decisions for everybody — the organization, the players — and they take time.

-----------------------

With all the anxiety of signing these guys, I think it's awesome to know that everyone knows they have to maybe take a discount to keep everyone.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
if they wanted to take discounts the deals would have been done by now and with a 80m cap it isn't an accomplishment to get MNM signed

and deals don't take much time if the parties are interested in making them , geez the Dube makes it sound like he's mediating middle east peace talks

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
if they wanted to take discounts the deals would have been done by now and with a 80m cap it isn't an accomplishment to get MNM signed

and deals don't take much time if the parties are interested in making them , geez the Dube makes it sound like he's mediating middle east peace talks
"Now it’s just working towards something that is fair"
Think that's the negotiating part and why it's taking so long. They can still be good deals and take a while, in fact the longer the talks go on with RFA's the better it is for the team recently.

It also sounds like normal hockey management talk...

Reactions: iSophagus

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
"Now it’s just working towards something that is fair"
Think that's the negotiating part and why it's taking so long. They can still be good deals and take a while, in fact the longer the talks go on with RFA's the better it is for the team recently.

It also sounds like normal hockey management talk...
lots of rfa's sign the season before their elc's expire so it doesn't need to be a year long process to get a deal done

i also don't see how we'll get Marner and Mathews any cheaper next summer than now and if they're so committed to "making it fit" why the delay

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nylander, Marner, Matthews: “We want to make it work”

Dubas: “Excellent, Nylander, you’re up first.”

*Marner and Matthews leave*

Gross: “So we’d like 8.5M per season”
Marner wants 10 and Mathews wants 12.5

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

Leafs get Nylander at a lower cap hit long term if he signs his deal after the season starts.

This is all according to plan, most likely. Pridham cap wizardry at work.

If Nylander wasn't interested in making a deal he'd have signed an offer sheet by now, too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs get Nylander at a lower cap hit long term if he signs his deal after the season starts.

If Nylander wasn't interested in making a deal he'd have signed an offer sheet by now, too.

What is Pridhams plan? I don't follow.

Who has presented him with an Offer Sheet to sign?

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Offer sheets have to be tendered by a team first. Have you heard of any?

Reactions: Al14

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

sorry i doubt very much the game plan was to have Willie sit this long , never mind miss regular season games

and if Willie had an offer sheet he'd have signed it since it would have to had to be high enough to make the Leafs squirm and at least think about not matching

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

i was thinking the plan would be nylander doing the delay, with marner/matthews going straight just to save assets

but i think now what's going to happen is they're all going to be delayed on signing and leafs will move marleau and horton contract (ie costing us picks/assets) next year more thinking towards when everyone else needs larger contracts

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
i was thinking the plan would be nylander doing the delay, with marner/matthews going straight just to save assets

but i think now what's going to happen is they're all going to be delayed on signing and leafs will move marleau and horton contract (ie costing us picks/assets) next year more thinking towards when everyone else needs larger contracts
Nope, NMC.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Nope, NMC.

yeah, and? think of this year as his last year

people keep thinking he's going to keep playing but i dunno.... contract was structured to get him more money but also structured to dump him on year 3

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
yeah, and? think of this year as his last year

people keep thinking he's going to keep playing but i dunno.... contract was structured to get him more money but also structured to dump him on year 3
We'll see. He doesn't look like he's on his last leg and he's on the hunt for a cup.
Can't see him walking away from that.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Offer sheets have to be tendered by a team first. Have you heard of any?

You do realize players have to actually *accept* an offer sheet, right?

You haven't heard of any offer sheet because Nylander won't accept any offer sheet.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
sorry i doubt very much the game plan was to have Willie sit this long , never mind miss regular season games

and if Willie had an offer sheet he'd have signed it since it would have to had to be high enough to make the Leafs squirm and at least think about not matching

Or, he wouldn't have signed it because he doesn't want to leave the Leafs or screw over the Leafs for a bigger contract?

Seeing as we know that the players all committed to making it work on the Maple Leafs....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->