News Article: Athletic interview with Dubas

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I hate that I can't reveal my sources on this one, but I have it on very good authority that the holdup on the Nylander deal is that he wants a personal hair stylist to travel with him at all times while the Leafs have countered with a personal grooming kit. Both sides very much want to make this work, but neither seems willing to budge on this issue.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Do you think Dubas has pitched a deal to all 3 at once.
?

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
?

No because they all have different agents. I doubt dubas is talking to them directly at all, im fairly certain a gm approaching a player at the rink and talking contract is frowned apoun, they have legal repsentation and you need to go through them. Im almost certain the players cant just bust into dubas office either and circumvent the agent. The players signed deals with the agent and the process is the process.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No surprise. With Nylander..if he signs October 3rd ..his agent should be fired. As Brian burke said he did the same with Gaudreau. Only to give in.

Nylander has right to ask for good money, but Dubas called Gross's bluff. I feel like Mitch will be the easiest one to sign just because he is from the area and his attitude. Matthew's is harder because he was hurt last year, now if he stays healthy this time and gets over 80 90pts, I'm thinking McDavid money. It wont be more than McDavid, and wont be less than JT.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
?

No. As someone said to you, it goes GM calls agent, who talks to the player. Did dubas sit with them or call them in the off season/before signing JT ..yes he did. He admitted that

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Show me where marner has said he wants 10m and Matthews has said he wants 12.5m I Don’t recall either of them saying this.

Neither have said they want 10 and 12.5 respectively. Articles have been written where its been speculated that Marners agent will use Eichels contract as a comparable.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
One-on-one with Leafs GM Kyle Dubas: On Babcock, offer...

This part stood out to me the most

Q: Speaking of some of those younger players. Isn’t it a risk to wait on extensions for Auston and Mitch given their potential this year?

A: Well, I think every day that they go unsigned and then every night that they perform to their potential there’s going to be angst. And we’ve had excellent discussions with Darren Ferris on Mitch and Judd Moldaver on Auston. It’s everybody’s ambition to continue to work towards deals that will keep them here, we hope, for their entire careers. That remains our ambition, what we’re working towards. It’s not a ploy by us to say, “Ah, we’ll wait and see how they do for the year.” I think we like them a lot and they like being here. They’re complex decisions and the circumstances here, with the salary cap being a hard cap, they’re not just simple discussions. We have to make it all fit. The players have all pledged that they want to make it all fit. Now it’s just working towards something that is fair, and that they don’t get into it a year and think, “Well, what did I do?” And vice-versa for us. So it’s been a good process with all of them, with their families, with their representatives, and we’ll just continue to work towards it during the season. And obviously we’d like to have deals as soon as we can, but I also recognize that they’re big-time decisions for everybody — the organization, the players — and they take time.

-----------------------

With all the anxiety of signing these guys, I think it's awesome to know that everyone knows they have to maybe take a discount to keep everyone.

Let's see what happens. It's easy to say that in a public interview, its another to get pen to paper on these guys. Matthews could easily get 100 points this year. It'll be interesting to see how much of a discount he's willing to take. Same with Marner.

All three will get done, it's just a matter of how much the rookie GM is able to save us by selling the notion of a hometown discount. He had to pay top dollar to get JT in here, he's struggling with nylander. If anything Matthews and especially Marner will be more challenging because of their potential ceilings.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Let's see what happens. It's easy to say that in a public interview, its another to get pen to paper on these guys. Matthews could easily get 100 points this year. It'll be interesting to see how much of a discount he's willing to take. Same with Marner.

All three will get done, it's just a matter of how much the rookie GM is able to save us by selling the notion of a hometown discount. He had to pay top dollar to get JT in here, he's struggling with nylander. If anything Matthews and especially Marner will be more challenging because of their potential ceilings.
no, he did not pay Tavares top dollar. he left money on the table to play here

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Show me where marner has said he wants 10m and Matthews has said he wants 12.5m I Don’t recall either of them saying this.
where did i here M&M wanted 12.5 and 10 ?

obviously the same media which speculated Willie's holding out for 8 that everyone had to problem believing so why shouldn't we also believe the numbers coming from them about M&M ?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I wonder how fans will spin it when Nylander doesn't get 7+ once the deal is done.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No surprise. With Nylander..if he signs October 3rd ..his agent should be fired. As Brian burke said he did the same with Gaudreau. Only to give in.

Nylander has right to ask for good money, but Dubas called Gross's bluff. I feel like Mitch will be the easiest one to sign just because he is from the area and his attitude. Matthew's is harder because he was hurt last year, now if he stays healthy this time and gets over 80 90pts, I'm thinking McDavid money. It wont be more than McDavid, and wont be less than JT.
Ferris is harder to deal with than Gross, and I don't think Mitch is likely to take a discount. I would expect Matthews to be the easiest to wrap up. The gap is basically 11 to 12.5 over 8 years. Matthews has the biggest endorsements that are localized that give him significant reasons to stay.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
no, he did not pay Tavares top dollar. he left money on the table to play here

Tell us more about the other offers and how they compared to the Leafs. How many of them were as front loaded with bonuses? I'll wait while you make something up.

What we know is he's the second highest paid player in the league and he's not the second best player in the league. If that's not top dollar I don't know what is.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tell us more about the other offers and how they compared to the Leafs. How many of them were as front loaded with bonuses? I'll wait while you make something up.

What we know is he's the second highest paid player in the league and he's not the second best player in the league. If that's not top dollar I don't know what is.
yeah, that's obvious. To help you out, it would be the highest paying contract

Reactions: dsred

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The whole interview was interesting even though he doesn’t really give anything away.

Was fascinating to see him talk about the R&D Guyana though and how they use modeling to project players. Days of just thinking with your gut are long iver

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Neither have said they want 10 and 12.5 respectively. Articles have been written where its been speculated that Marners agent will use Eichels contract as a comparable.

Eichel is a center and doesn't have the luxury of the quality of team mates that Marner has

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ferris is harder to deal with than Gross, and I don't think Mitch is likely to take a discount. I would expect Matthews to be the easiest to wrap up. The gap is basically 11 to 12.5 over 8 years. Matthews has the biggest endorsements that are localized that give him significant reasons to stay.

Marner is doing commercials with intact insurance and chevrolet; all of that just because he is a Leaf FYI

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Marner is doing commercials with intact insurance and chevrolet; all of that just because he is a Leaf FYI
I don't think either approach what Matthews got from Scotia for a national tv campaign that is associated with the renaming of the ACC. Matthews got a significant long-term deal in that case.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't think either approach what Matthews got from Scotia for a national tv campaign that is associated with the renaming of the ACC. Matthews got a significant long-term deal in that case.

I guess. Hopefully that should lower the cap for Auston.

Was browsing through the agents profiles on linkedin and the website; didn't see Matthews with Orr Hockey Group

Players Archive - Orr Hockey Group

I hope things work out......

that said;

tv commercials that marner is doing is only possible because he is a Leaf; if Marner wasn't a Leaf he wouldn't have gotten those commercials and quite frankly those may not be as big as what Matthews got but they are still "significant" compared to wht he would have gotten if he was on any other team not named Toronto Maple Leafs

Also, Matthews is the face of the franchise; Marner is not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad