Not open for further replies.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
From King Clancy's autobiography:

IMG_1595_Redacted.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
To continue on the topic of my Round 1 list from the Top 100 Project—which is far from a finished product—I had Mark Messier at 17th overall, over Mikita, Esposito, Clarke, Trottier, Taylor, Sakic and all the rest. I also had Sprague Cleghorn at 42th overall, over Chelios, Park, Pilote, Clancy, Coffey, Pronger and all the rest. At least I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

I would probably rank Clancy over Cleghorn today though, since I worked on the Ottawa Dynasty project and realized how important Clancy was to the 1923 and 1927 Stanley Cup championships. But I'll work on a Cleghorn bio and I might change my mind again (positively or negatively). Who knows? Less likely I change my mind about Messier though.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
To continue on the topic of my Round 1 list from the Top 100 Project—which is far from a finished product—I had Mark Messier at 17th overall, over Mikita, Esposito, Clarke, Trottier, Taylor, Sakic and all the rest. I also had Sprague Cleghorn at 42th overall, over Chelios, Park, Pilote, Clancy, Coffey, Pronger and all the rest. At least I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

I would probably rank Clancy over Cleghorn today though, since I worked on the Ottawa Dynasty project and realized how important Clancy was to the 1923 and 1927 Stanley Cup championships. But I'll work on a Cleghorn bio and I might change my mind again (positively or negatively). Who knows? Less likely I change my mind about Messier though.

Look at Trottier's ppg. I love how I now have to debate a player I used to detest. He always seems to defer to Bossy, but Trottier provided the speed, muscle and possession (with help from Potvin, of course). Bossy made the possession pay off.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Look at Trottier's ppg. I love how I now have to debate a player I used to detest. He always seems to defer to Bossy, but Trottier provided the speed, muscle and possession (with help from Potvin, of course). Bossy made the possession pay off.

I love Bryan Trottier a lot too. It's no insult for a player if I rank Mark Messier over him. Messier did it for longer, that's basically it.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I love Bryan Trottier a lot too. It's no insult for a player if I rank Mark Messier over him. Messier did it for longer, that's basically it.

I haven't been convinced by the anti-Messier arguments on here. I saw with my eyeballs and he has the hardware to back it up. The back end of his career should just be cleaned off the counter and thrown in the trash.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I haven't been convinced by the anti-Messier arguments on here. I saw with my eyeballs and he has the hardware to back it up. The back end of his career should just be cleaned off the counter and thrown in the trash.

Messier brought the goods. The package was delivered and received—in time ! I'm less open to intellectual (statistical) arguments for players I saw play with my own eyes, especially players of Messier's mold.

Though I didn't watch him all the time like @VanIslander who probably never missed a game lol.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Double-reply.

As for his late-career resume; yeah right? Who cares?! I never understood people wanting to take away from his resume for things he did after age 37. The guy wanted his money after a work well-done. Let the man have it.

To this day I find the Vancouver fanbase silly for this reason (not making generalization, but as a group it's the strongest thing uniting them: Hating on 37+ years old Mark Messier).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Double-reply.

As for his late-career resume; yeah right? Who cares?! I never understood people wanting to take away from his resume for things he did after age 37. The guy wanted his money after a work well-done. Let the man have it.

To this day I find the Vancouver fanbase silly for this reason (not making generalization, but as a group it's the strongest thing uniting them: Hating on 37+ years old Mark Messier).

Well, I mean the guy cashed in big and then completely mailed it in. He clearly didn’t give a crap at that that point. Did it hurt his overall legacy? No, it really shouldn’t. But do I blame Vancouver fans for their hatred of his stint there? Absolutely not.

If anything though, Vancouver’s management should also be to blame there. Taking a 37 year old Messier and essentially selling that to the fanbase as big things were on the way..Well, that’s not all on Mess..

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So this must have been before my time started here but i was skimming old draft threads and saw somebody once drafted an arena!?!?! :laugh::D:thumbu::popcorn:

What in the actual f***? I'd vote for that guy just for having the stones to pull that shit. That'd be like me drafting Gordon f***ing Bombay in round 24 here. :naughty:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So this must have been before my time started here but i was skimming old draft threads and saw somebody once drafted an arena!?!?! :laugh::D:thumbu::popcorn:

What in the actual ****? I'd vote for that guy just for having the stones to pull that ****. That'd be like me drafting Gordon ****ing Bombay in round 24 here. :naughty:

That was me in my first draft in ATD2011 when I drafted the Montreal Forum and protested when they refused to allow it.

I also tried and almost succeeded in getting both Gretzky and Lemieux in that same 40 teams draft. Thankfully the trade was vetoed but it took a lot of debates. I ended up making another trade and got Gretzky and Lidstrom.

And wasn't that the year I also drafted Georges Laraque?

All in all, a successful entry into the ATD world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Clancy also said Gerard was a heckuva piano player and somehow they managed to steal a piano and sneak it onto the train at one of their westbound stops on the way to defend the Cup. Clancy was a rookie and didn't drink but they made him kick in and it cost him all his money at the time. So they weren't in the best shape when they arrived, but played well.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Did anyone in the top 100 voting have Nighbor over Morenz? I always viewed Morenz as a clear tier ahead, no? I mean maybe not a big gap, but a tier ahead nonetheless.

From all my research and reading, I can’t recall a single historical opinion ranking Nighbor as the superior player of the two.

Of course I could be missing something. Could it be possible that while Morenz was the “bigger name” and flashier player, Nighbor was quietly the more superior player?

Could it be similar to the Crosby and Ovechkin situation over the years? Ovechkin is the flashier player and to the casual fan may more easily pass the eye test as the “better” player, but those who really follow and study the game knows that it’s without a doubt Sid The Kid.

Could the situation very well have been the same with Morenz and Nighbor?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Did anyone in the top 100 voting have Nighbor over Morenz? I always viewed Morenz as a clear tier ahead, no? I mean maybe not a big gap, but a tier ahead nonetheless.

From all my research and reading, I can’t recall a single historical opinion ranking Nighbor as the superior player of the two.

Of course I could be missing something. Could it be possible that while Morenz was the “bigger name” and flashier player, Nighbor was quietly the more superior player?

Could it be similar to the Crosby and Ovechkin situation over the years? Ovechkin is the flashier player and to the casual fan may more easily pass the eye test as the “better” player, but those who really follow and study the game knows that it’s without a doubt Sid The Kid.

Could the situation very well have been the same with Morenz and Nighbor?

Except that everyone said Morenz was solid at both ends and could get back in a flash a la Orr and went up and down the ice endlessly.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
So, as I wait for my next turn to pick (and wait, and wait... 40 teams, yeesh!) I'm struck by an unanticipated consequence of going goalie with my first pick -- I'm having to prioritize players with captain experience (who might be slightly lesser players to others on my board) so that I can get a suitable captain. I don't have buyers remorse yet, but my life would be easier if I pulled the trigger on Sakic/Trottier/Clarke/Esposito in that first spot -- and I almost did, but changed my mind.

Edit: I guess Espo and Trottier wouldn't have solved my issue, but the point remains for the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad