ATD2019 - Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Midnight to 8 in Newfoundland.
The 3 picks before mine all happened after 11. :laugh:

Right, always forget that you guys have a slightly different timezone.

Must be windy in Newfoundland, everytime I go to Rimouski I'm amazed how windy it is.Also wild and rapid change of temperature.Like it's 15 celcius degrees, then 20 minutes later it's 5 degrees, then another 20 minutes and it's 15 again.Insane place.

You just don't see that in Montreal.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Right, always forget that you guys have a slightly different timezone.

Must be windy in Newfoundland, everytime I go to Rimouski I'm amazed how windy it is.Also wild and rapid change of temperature.Like it's 15 celcius degrees, then 20 minutes later it's 5 degrees, then another 20 minutes and it's 15 again.Insane place.

You just don't see that in Montreal.
I’ve never been to Rimouski, but I’d expect it to have a similar climate to Corner Brook, which is right across the gulf. St. John’s is substantially more windy and unstable - as evidenced by the fact that we couldn’t keep our ski hill at Logy Bay going despite having 10 times as many people here.
I’ve spent weeks here and there in winter in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and the 905 and just love it. I also lived in New Brunswick for a while and the winds going across the swamp are just excessive. Not as wacky and unpredictable as Newfoundland, but just relentless.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I’ve never been to Rimouski, but I’d expect it to have a similar climate to Corner Brook, which is right across the gulf. St. John’s is substantially more windy and unstable - as evidenced by the fact that we couldn’t keep our ski hill at Logy Bay going despite having 10 times as many people here.
I’ve spent weeks here and there in winter in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and the 905 and just love it. I also lived in New Brunswick for a while and the winds going across the swamp are just excessive. Not as wacky and unpredictable as Newfoundland, but just relentless.

St. John is that bad huh? It's really at the edge of the Atlantic ocean, next stop is basically... France.I wouldn't like living in such crazy weather.

Rimouski seemed like the relentlessly windy type, but then again I'm only there for a few days when I go.

Montreal is hotter, but it's humid as hell.Some summer days are excruciatingly suffocating, and some winter days the cold just penetrates the bones.Otherwise not so bad.

Unfortunately Montreal is changing for the worse I think.In a boiling frog way.Homelessness is sharply on the rise, and everytime I walk late at night I cross path with people with severe mental health problems.There is a decay going on and a ''laissez-faire''.There were always problems of this sort, but it seems more pronounced and consistent today.At least on the east side of the island.Most people I know who started a family got off the island to the periphery.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
St John's in Newfoundland might be my favourite foreign city I've ever been to and I've been to quite a few.

Might seem like an odd choice but there is something about being on the edge of the North Atlantic, big rolling hills and cliffs, lots of old European structures. And the people were always incredibly friendly.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was reading the book about the North Pole Hermit in Maine.The guy that lived for 27 years in the woods in Maine, survived by stealing from cabins, never started a fire (else his spot would be discovered), spent the entire winters at his spot else he'd leave traces in the snow, revealing his location.

This is a crazy achievement.Maine winters are basically Montreal winters.To live outside without fire all the time is insane.He stole propane tanks though.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Would @Doctor No be one of the goalies? :huh:

I played ACHA Division II and III in grad school - hopefully there's someone out there who can carry the load better than me (Killion's a good guess).

1930309_32223025630_46_n.jpg

I was a hell of a backup, though - no one opened and closed doors while pointing out girls in the stands like me (and I even broke up one fight between teammates on the bench).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Could we comment on ATD bios here?

(I don't want to waste my time commenting on the wrong thread only to see it immediately be deleted. We wouldn't want that.)

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Could we comment on ATD bios here?

(I don't want to waste my time commenting on the wrong thread only to see it immediately be deleted. We wouldn't want that.)

Yes,

We've never had comments made on the structure of bios in the bio thread in my time doing this...on top of that your comment wasn't useful or constructive

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
To separate the wheat from the chaff, what is significant from the noise, is both useful and hopefully constructive.

Should bios be as complete as possible?

You sliced out all the VsX and other scoring finishes because you don't find them important

@Dreakmur we're talking about your Kopitar bio, he sliced out about 75% of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad