ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have a few months worth of food here and am seriously contemplating a self-quarantine starting tonight.

More people (who can afford it) should do this to reduce the first wave peak. Need to help the health care system handle this.

I'm young and strong, so I'm not overly worried about getting the virus myself, but I might infect others that are more vulnerable.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
NEWSFLASH:

The ATD Board is coronovirus-safe!

All-time drafts are sterile and ideal healthy social distancing activities.

May we hunker down in our abodes and spend some free time (and no money!) on a hobby built for the times.
I was just musing yesterday that I was practicing safe sports by following along with this!
I have a few months worth of food here and am seriously contemplating a self-quarantine starting tonight.

More people (who can afford it) should do this to reduce the first wave peak. Need to help the health care system handle this.

I'm young and strong, so I'm not overly worried about getting the virus myself, but I might infect others that are more vulnerable.
It's an idea that sounds good on its face. The problem, however, is that Civilization needs a skeleton crew. The water-treatment that we count on to stay clean and have our toilets flush, the energy that's powering our devices right now- the telecommunications grid that allows us to stay in touch this very moment- they all rely upon on-site labor power to continue functioning.

If we ALL had off-grid capability (e.g. battery power or generators with sufficient fuel, personal wells from which to draw water, out-houses to take a dump), we could all do this. We don't, so we can't.

In my personal case, it's a moot point, anyway. In certain previous natural and man-made disasters, my employer has designated yours truly an "essential employee," expected to find a way to get to work whatever/whenever/however. I get paid to do a job- I knew that such things could be expected when I voluntarily agreed to perform the responsibilities for which I am compensated.

Now, if I actually get sick, I AM mandated to stay home (naturally). If not, though- my presence is expected. Volitional quarantine is not an option for me. Prefer not to go into details- but I'd consider myself one of the "skeleton crew" that would play a role in keeping modern society sputtering along...

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

This is about where I'm at, thankfully I don't really go anywhere except from home to work and back so until I'm sick or they close down the office just keep bouncing back and forth

My girlfriend is an elementary school teacher....so I'm bound to get exposed

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
In a few weeks, maybe a month this will be over. Mark my words.

Less people will die (that we know of since places like China, Iran, and a few others will never give the true count) from this than cancer, seasonal flu, car accidents, etc, etc.

Please do not fall victim of the media drama and yellow journalism that is nothing more than an effort to drum up hysteria, fear and viewership since that = more money.

This insane spread of disinformation is deliberate and the media are just puppets of a much, much larger evil which is government. This is nothing more than a f***ing test run for clamp down on personal freedoms. Look around the world and see people having man rights stripped, more and more each day. The National Guard is deployed in areas. George Orwell was a very, very smart man and saw this shit coming 70+ years ago.

Be cautious and aware but DO NOT PANIC. This is not Ebola, or VX. There is a minuscule chance you'll even contract the virus and an even smaller fraction of a single % that it'll will lead to anything serious. Fact. There are 7+ billion people on earth. Do the math. It's not hard. If you want to stay home, fine. But buying up products of whatever and hoarding stuff is absolutely insane.

The internet and technology that helps us stay connected is also used to scare the living shit out of people and sadly the masses, especially the younger generations are falling right into the trap.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In a few weeks, maybe a month this will be over. Mark my words.

Less people will die (that we know of since places like China, Iran, and a few others will never give the true count) from this than cancer, seasonal flu, car accidents, etc, etc.

Please do not fall victim of the media drama and yellow journalism that is nothing more than an effort to drum up hysteria, fear and viewership since that = more money.

This insane spread of disinformation is deliberate and the media are just puppets of a much, much larger evil which is government. This is nothing more than a f***ing test run for clamp down on personal freedoms. Look around the world and see people having man rights stripped, more and more each day. The National Guard is deployed in areas. George Orwell was a very, very smart man and saw this shit coming 70+ years ago.

Be cautious and aware but DO NOT PANIC. This is not Ebola, or VX. There is a minuscule chance you'll even contract the virus and an even smaller fraction of a single % that it'll will lead to anything serious. Fact. There are 7+ billion people on earth. Do the math. It's not hard. If you want to stay home, fine. But buying up products of whatever and hoarding stuff is absolutely insane.

The internet and technology that helps us stay connected is also used to scare the living shit out of people and sadly the masses, especially the younger generations are falling right into the trap.

The bolded isn't remotely true, especially if our governments don't step up to contain the virus.

It's been found to be highly contagious even in people exhibiting light symptoms.

For healthy reasonably young people we should be fine, but we can't allow it to overwhelm our medical systems to the point those who are imuno-compromised or otherwise seriously injured/sick can't receive adequate care without the risk of contracting the disease and facing even more risk.

We clearly have fundamentally different ideas about how society functions, so I won't bother to engage on your talk about "tyranny".

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Prediction:

The panic will come from America.
Apocalypse-expecting bunkering down.
Slow, inefficient containment.
The heat will kill it 25+ C in the summer.
Sanity will return there in July but not mostly until September.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Prediction:

The panic will come from America.
Apocalypse-expecting bunkering down.
Slow, inefficient containment.
The heat will kill it 25+ C in the summer.
Sanity will return there in July but not mostly until September.

Reporting indicates that it might not be seasonal and that the heat won't help since Australia is hovering in the low to mid 20s and is still experiencing an outbreak.

But I hope you're correct

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hope everyone and their families are doing well. People are going crazy, completely wiping out grocery store shelves. We went this morning and focused mostly on supper items (few bags of spaghetti noodles, box of white rice, couple of whole chickens, oatmeal, frozen pasta’s, some soups etc..). Predictably, no toilet paper at all because people have lost their minds in regard to stocking up on that for some strange reason.

My main concern is people continuing to flood grocery stores and constantly wiping the shelves clean. People are being totally unreasonable and buying 30+ bags of spaghetti noodles at a time for example. We have a 15 month old to feed and he’s obviously our number 1 priority. I just worry about people continuing to panic and supplies will seriously be low if this keeps up..

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The bolded isn't remotely true, especially if our governments don't step up to contain the virus.

It's been found to be highly contagious even in people exhibiting light symptoms.

For healthy reasonably young people we should be fine, but we can't allow it to overwhelm our medical systems to the point those who are imuno-compromised or otherwise seriously injured/sick can't receive adequate care without the risk of contracting the disease and facing even more risk.

We clearly have fundamentally different ideas about how society functions, so I won't bother to engage on your talk about "tyranny".

I never said it's NOT highly contagious. That has already been confirmed.

My point is that there are 7 billion people on this earth and in 3+ months a fraction of a single % has been infected. Think about that. Do you realize how large a number 7 billion is? Do people understand how large the earth is, and even with people coming and going to all corners of the earth, every day, this has directly impacted an incredibly miniscule amount of people physically.

I have never in 30+ years seen this sort of hysteria over a virus. Not even close. My parents, who are in their 70's, have never seen this level of paranoia.

The difference between you an I, seems to be you think government exists to actually benefit people and help them. It's an illusion. George Orwell, among others, has fleshed this out numerous times over the ages. The government is only reacting because people panicking threatens the government itself. If the government (of the US for example) really, truly cared about people, there wouldn't be MILLIONS of homeless.

Have you ever been to LA? San Fran? Seattle? Just to name a few major urban population centers? We have no problems letting millions die on the streets, alone. We have no problem letting tens of thousands die from drug epidemics, every year, DESPITE A 30+ YEAR WAR ON DRUGS. Do you know how many agencies the US has now, compared to just a generation ago?

I've been on 4 continents, over 30 countries, some for an extended period of time.

There is evidence, everywhere of governments oppressing freedoms of entire genders (women in the Middle East comes to mind immediately given I've been to almost every nation there), number tens of millions. Genocides, all over the world, etc, etc. And these happen, all under the umbrella of a "government".

With that being said, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. That's the beauty of being human. I do not wish to live in a world where groupthink and echo chambers rule the day. People are unique individuals. Not robots. But we have been programmed, more and more to become the latter.

This is jus the latest entry IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I've been in the house all week - luckily I work from home. Have to go out for supplies today, but am going to keep my gloves on and stay away from all y'all.

I have found that wearing gloves reminds me not to touch my face in public.

Wearing glasses also helps me. Not going to touch my contacts until this is over.

Reactions: tinyzombies

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I never said it's NOT highly contagious. That has already been confirmed.

My point is that there are 7 billion people on this earth and in 3+ months a fraction of a single % has been infected. Think about that. Do you realize how large a number 7 billion is? Do people understand how large the earth is, and even with people coming and going to all corners of the earth, every day, this has directly impacted an incredibly miniscule amount of people physically.

I have never in 30+ years seen this sort of hysteria over a virus. Not even close. My parents, who are in their 70's, have never seen this level of paranoia.

The difference between you an I, seems to be you think government exists to actually benefit people and help them. It's an illusion. George Orwell, among others, has fleshed this out numerous times over the ages. The government is only reacting because people panicking threatens the government itself. If the government (of the US for example) really, truly cared about people, there wouldn't be MILLIONS of homeless.

Have you ever been to LA? San Fran? Seattle? Just to name a few major urban population centers? We have no problems letting millions die on the streets, alone. We have no problem letting tens of thousands die from drug epidemics, every year, DESPITE A 30+ YEAR WAR ON DRUGS. Do you know how many agencies the US has now, compared to just a generation ago?

I've been on 4 continents, over 30 countries, some for an extended period of time.

There is evidence, everywhere of governments oppressing freedoms of entire genders (women in the Middle East comes to mind immediately given I've been to almost every nation there), number tens of millions. Genocides, all over the world, etc, etc. And these happen, all under the umbrella of a "government".

With that being said, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. That's the beauty of being human. I do not wish to live in a world where groupthink and echo chambers rule the day. People are unique individuals. Not robots. But we have been programmed, more and more to become the latter.

This is jus the latest entry IMO.

Exponential growth can and will make up those numbers a lot faster than you'd think.

I'm not even saying you're wrong about the rest of your post, the government, etc. It's just that the math of exponential growth works out the same way no matter what the intentions of government are. We've seen what can happen in Wuhan, Italy, and Iran. We're just a few weeks or months behind them. The only way we get a different result is by reducing the rate of transmission through social distancing.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I am not saying do nothing. But shutting society down to the levels we are seeing now is asinine. It's counterproductive as it's causing more panic, more surplus buying, which is in turn causing shortages, which wouldn't be happening if the government wasn't selling this as the 2nd coming of the bubonic plague. Schools closing everywhere, including rural America. Places that are dozens, if not hundreds of miles from any known cases. It's ridiculous.

The panic happening is tied directly back to world government and by extension, the media which are nothing more than bullhorns for the political "elite".

I hope everyone stays safe regardless of your feelings. I'll continue to live my life and go where I choose. I'll wash my hands more than normal, and be cognizant of those around me. If I start feeling ill, I'll stay home. But I won't allow this to make me a prisoner in my home.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Italy has a long history of fascism.

I am in South Korea, in a town one hour from Daegu, the epicenter of the Korean outbreak.

Listen. This is what has stalled the spread.

1) Near universal use of face masks and adversion to social gatherings.
2) Immediate government testing: we have a DRIVE THRU for testing! The govt quickly passed a billion+ dollar plan of containment and treatment.
3) Schools, concerts and other gathering events were immediately cancelled over three weeks ago.
4) everyone knows the 24 hour hotline for emergency response. It is everywhere.

South Korea erupted quickly and has come down greatly in rate. Italy and Iran has exploded, France and Spain increasing.

Look at the death rate in South Korea. Here treatment is in a matter of minutes!

Americans talking about triage? How poor or BROKEN DOWN is a healthcare system to have that happen.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Italy has a long history of fascism.

I am in South Korea, in a town one hoyr from Daegu, the epicenter of the Korean outbreak.

Listen. This is what has stalled the spread.

1) Near universal use of face masks and adversion to social gatherings.
2) Immediate government testing: we have a DRIVE THRU for testing! The govt quickly passed a billion+ dollar plan of containment and treatment.
3) Schools, concerts and other gathering events were immediately cancelled over three weeks ago.
4) everyone knows the 24 hour hotline for emergency response. It is everywhere.

South Korea erupted quickly and has come down greatly in rate. Italy and Iran has exploded, France and Spain increasing.

Look at the death rate in South Korea. Here treatment us in a matter of minutes.

Americans talking about triage? How poor or BROKEN DOWN is a healthcare system to have that happen.

Italy is triaging. The US is several weeks behind and hopefully won't get there.

I read somewhere that Rudy Gobert's stupidity might have saved us. Once the NBA shut down, everything else followed.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I haven't taught in over three weeks due to this. We are scheduled to resume on the 23rd a week from now, I'm optimistic based on the huge reduction in rate of infections in this country over the last ten days.

That said, Samsung two weeks ago shut down its s20 smartphone factory IMEEDIATELY after ONE (1) worker tested positive, thus delaying the worldwide launch of their new product.

Hyundai likewise shutdown its car plant when ONE worker tested positive.

This country looked like it was overreacting a few weeks ago. But the data shows... it's savings lives and greatly reducing the rate of new infections. In fact, from Tuesday to Thursday this week, the rate of full recoveries finally surpassed the rate of infections.

Hope it continues as such here.

Reactions: MadArcand

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
How are countries like North Korea and Iran not infected 100% across the board? How are nations with no real structure of any kind, not collapsing under social disorder, with masses dying?

Just curious on that front.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How are countries like North Korea and Iran not infected 100% across the board?.
Lol.

1. South Korea is a democracy with a free press (which is why prez wins are in 51-54% range and the previous prez was impeached and is still in jail over the Sewol ferry sinking). North Korea is a pithole dictactorship with no trustworthy info.

2. Iran?

Iran 10,075 infections, 429 deaths
S. Korea 7,979 infections, 72 deaths

And S.Korea had over 5,000 more infections than Iran two weeks ago.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I haven't taught in over three weeks due to this. We are scheduled to resume on the 23rd a week from now, I'm optimistic based on the huge reduction in rate of infections in this country over the last ten days.

That said, Samsung two weeks ago shut down its s20 smartphone factory IMEEDIATELY after ONE (1) worker tested positive, thus delaying the worldwide launch of their new product.

Hyundai likewise shutdown its car plant when ONE worker tested positive.

This country looked like it was overreacting a few weeks ago. But the data shows... it's savings lives and greatly reducing the rate of new infections. In fact, from Tuesday to Thursday this week, the rate of full recoveries finally surpassed the rate of infections.

Hope it continues as such here.

I work in event production and just had every job for the next 2 weeks cancelled one by one over the course of 24 hours. So I feel you about the lack of work.

Reactions: seventieslord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad