Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Leafs were really good in this series. They had worse Offence Defence and goaltending on paper but still competed really good. I think they should look for trades that make them better. Marner for Saros should been the most obvious one that I would have made last year already.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and mddnh

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Kudos for the Leafs for making this a series. I know Boston did everything they could do to lose series but the Leafs were done and basically out after game 4. They played very well after that and showed courage. The best player of the series was Swayman by far.

I dont know if it was already mentioned but there was a rumor on the bruins board, that the Bruins were very high on a goalie and wanted to draft him in the fourth round of the NHL draft in 2017. Unfortunately or fortunately the goalie was drafted one spot before the Bruins would have picked him. His name is Ian Scott and the Leafs drafted him. So the Bruins went with the next name on their list and picked Jeremy Swayman. So after the Rask/Raycroft debacle, the Leafs had kind of helped again the Bruins in getting another elite/franchise goalie.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Today will be somewhat a quiet day for Leaf media. But when the eastern media realize they now will have to reports on other Canadian teams--that is when they fangs will come out and they will create THINGS TO talk about. The only thing Sportsnet and TSN hate talking bout other Canadian teams and they will have to do that for the next two rounds at least and you know the eastern media does not like that.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Am i the only one who thought Pastrnak looked offside on that OT goal?

They never even showed a proper replay of it where you can tell for sure.

Im not saying he definitely was or trying to use an excuse, but he came in so fast, watching it live I definitely got the impression he might have been offside. Im surprised there was no proper replay shown

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Am i the only one who thought Pastrnak looked offside on that OT goal?

They never even showed a proper replay of it where you can tell for sure.

Im not saying he definitely was or trying to use an excuse, but he came in so fast, watching it live I definitely got the impression he might have been offside. Im surprised there was no proper replay shown
Lindholm has finished his wrist shot way before Pasta even reached the blue line.
Screenshot (154).png

Reactions: bobholly39

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Leafs were really good expect game 1 and 3. Bruins struggle offensively, especially Coyle and Zacha need to produce more, if they want to have a chance against the Panthers.
Bertuzzi is still a loser haha.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some panic moves are gonna be made this summer. Not sure if it’s for the best

I don't even really see what "panic moves" the Leafs will even have available to them tbh.

What are you gonna do, trade Marner? Like...who is going to pay full value for the guy at this point? Nobody with serious playoff aspirations. Maybe Dubas would trade a bunch to get him to Pittsburgh...but then...the Penguins don't have anything even in the ballpark to trade for him. So...who out there would step up to make that deal?

Matthews really just isn't going anywhere.

Nylander is the only one who really showed up, so it'd be asinine to trade him.

Rielly is still the Leafs only good defenceman.

Tavares is old and expensive and not going anywhere unless he wants to.

So what type of big "panic moves" are even viable? They're basically locked into just, more tinkering. They were "right there" as they say. In reference to making it out of the first round of the playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Samsonov looked decent in the first period - but I thought he looked extremely shaky past that. He seemed to be chasing the puck all night.

He's lucky the puck kept hitting him, but it seems on so many plays he was flopping around looking to see where puck ended up, and just breating a sigh of relief it missed net/was in corner or something.

Can't really blame him though for a loss where he only lets in 2 goals on 30+ shots, but he probably could have done a better job on that play in OT.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah that goal kinda came out of nowhere. Puck just bounced to the right spot. Nice little move by Pastrnak on the goal. Watching it over again it almost looks like he knew what was going to happen somehow.
Probably because it was a practiced play. Boston was at home so they have the advantage of knowing exactly how the boards are going to react to every shot.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Can't believe people are blaming Samsonov for this. If you were given the option before the game to either pick Samsonov to start, with the knowledge that he would let ONE goal in during regulation, or, gamble on Woll, but you didn't know anything about his performance, any person saying they would've gone with Woll is lying to themselves. This team is handicapped offensively and lost because they can't score for the life of them. 2 goals or less in 13 of the last 14 games. No goalie is to blame for that.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Can't believe people are blaming Samsonov for this. If you were given the option before the game to either pick Samsonov to start, with the knowledge that he would let ONE goal in during regulation, or, gamble on Woll, but you didn't know anything about his performance, any person saying they would've gone with Woll is lying to themselves. This team is handicapped offensively and lost because they can't score for the life of them. 2 goals or less in 13 of the last 14 games. No goalie is to blame for that.

I'm not blaming Samsonov. I'm saying he looked like shit and got lucky. Doesn't matter - in the end it's results that matter, and I'd rather a goalie have the worst game of his life and luck himself into only one goal in regulation vs the best game of his live but still allow 3 or 4 goals. So I agree - it's not his fault they lost game 7.

Samsonov looked shaky though. I kept saying it throughout the game. If you were a Leafs fan - you had to be worried everytime a puck got near him. Maybe I'm just spoiled as a Habs fan - but it's the exact opposite feeling I would get when the puck gets near Price in a playoff game - I'd be super confident he'd stop it.

But no - Samsonov definitely didn't cost them this loss.

It was a close game. Could have gone either way

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I'm not blaming Samsonov. I'm saying he looked like shit and got lucky. Doesn't matter - in the end it's results that matter, and I'd rather a goalie have the worst game of his life and luck himself into only one goal in regulation vs the best game of his live but still allow 3 or 4 goals. So I agree - it's not his fault they lost game 7.

Samsonov looked shaky though. I kept saying it throughout the game. If you were a Leafs fan - you had to be worried everytime a puck got near him. Maybe I'm just spoiled as a Habs fan - but it's the exact opposite feeling I would get when the puck gets near Price in a playoff game - I'd be super confident he'd stop it.

But no - Samsonov definitely didn't cost them this loss.

It was a close game. Could have gone either way

Nah, wasn't targeting you with that. I agree with what you wrote.

Reactions: Summer Rose

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't even really see what "panic moves" the Leafs will even have available to them tbh.

What are you gonna do, trade Marner? Like...who is going to pay full value for the guy at this point? Nobody with serious playoff aspirations. Maybe Dubas would trade a bunch to get him to Pittsburgh...but then...the Penguins don't have anything even in the ballpark to trade for him. So...who out there would step up to make that deal?

Matthews really just isn't going anywhere.

Nylander is the only one who really showed up, so it'd be asinine to trade him.

Rielly is still the Leafs only good defenceman.

Tavares is old and expensive and not going anywhere unless he wants to.

So what type of big "panic moves" are even viable? They're basically locked into just, more tinkering. They were "right there" as they say. In reference to making it out of the first round of the playoffs.
At this pt Marner is a Hyman own rental. He will price himself out anyway and demand NMC. Then Tre could get fired before a new GM steps in and says Mitch won't be back. Two things, get a goalie, get a real coach. Then let Bert walk. For $5.5 million we need more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad