ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Price by a wide margin again 41%... that should help bolster his ATD record. He's probably won a ton of these.

Even as a Habs fan I can admit that Price likely isn’t even a top 5 goaltender anymore. Of course the piss poor team that our inept and clueless general manager puts in front of him every year doesn’t help. But Price being #1 in a player poll is based strictly off reputation at this point, nothing more.

We wasted Price’s prime when he was clearly the best goaltender on the planet, and that’s a damn shame.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Even as a Habs fan I can admit that Price likely isn’t even a top 5 goaltender anymore. Of course the piss poor team that our inept and clueless general manager puts in front of him every year doesn’t help. But Price being #1 in a player poll is based strictly off reputation at this point, nothing more.

We wasted Price’s prime when he was clearly the best goaltender on the planet, and that’s a damn shame.

I do wonder what he'd do on a w/a loaded team in front of him rather than average to shit.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So we did this little game over at my page:

What is the post 1975-76 Habs all-time roster for a winner-take-all game 7 vs this all-time Oilers lineup? And would you tweak the Oiler lineup? The game is in Montreal, if that matters.

Coach: Glen Sather

Hall - Gretzky (C) - Kurri
RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Tikkanen - Messier (A) - Anderson
Smyth - Weight - Hemsky

Pronger (A) - J. Smith
Coffey - Lowe
Klefbom - Mironov
Extra?

Fuhr
Joseph

We came up with:

Coach: Scotty Bowman

Shutt - Lemaire - Lafleur
Naslund - Damphousse - Recchi
Gainey (A) - Jarvis - Carbonneau
Muller - P.Mahovlich - Lemieux

Robinson - Savard (C)
Lapointe - Chelios
Markov- Weber (A)
Schneider

Roy
Price

PP1:
Recchi (23)
Weber (23) - Lafleur (28) - Lemaire (21)
Markov (25)
PP2: Schneider (23), Lapointe (23), Damphousse (22), P.Mahovlich (19), Naslund (20)
PK1: Robinson (45%/.85), Savard (58%/.82), Gainey (45%/.83), Jarvis (55%/.79)
PK2: Lapointe (53%/.76), Chelios (57%/.85), Lemaire (13%/.74), Carbo (53%/.91)​

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just arrived. Definitely added to the quarantine reading list.

73B87CDB-0B5B-4379-B5AE-BB744AFA9E5A.jpeg

Reactions: Namba 17

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I highly recommend the autobiographies of Frank Selke & Conn Smythe. I learned so much about the pre-O6 and O6 NHL from those books. There's more on chicken and horses than i like though: the hobbies of their generation i guess.
Just arrived. Definitely added to the quarantine reading list.
AFTER that guy whose book you have that we have on our extra skater shortlist, eh?

Reactions: seventieslord

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I highly recommend the autobiographies of Frank Selke & Conn Smythe. I learned so much about the pre-O6 and O6 NHL from those books. There's more on chicken and horses than i like though: the hobbies of their generation i guess.

AFTER that guy whose book you have that we have on our extra skater shortlist, eh?

There are definitely a few things on my to-read list, including the one that you’re referring to. :)

And yes, both the Selke and Smythe books are in my collection and are fantastic reads. Punch Imlach has 2 books as well which were nice reads.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
There are definitely a few things on my to-read list, including the one that you’re referring to. :)

And yes, both the Selke and Smythe books are in my collection and are fantastic reads. Punch Imlach has 2 books as well which were nice reads.

Which Punch Imlach books are those? I read Heaven and Hell in the NHL many years ago but I'd be interested to read another book on him. C1958 kept recommending the Selke book to me and I need to finally get it.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
C1958 kept recommending the Selke book to me and I need to finally get it.
Yes, you do.

WARNING:

1. You will learn more about raising chickens than you care to;

2. You will think less of the Leafs of the 1930's, especially the defensive neglect of the Kid line (i haven't wanted to draft Jackson or Conacher since).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
50E95879-25C7-4EC0-A20A-6EC03B04C71F.jpeg

Here are the 2 Imlach books @kruezer

And @VanIslander I would love to be able to send these to you, but as a collector I don’t part with anything in my collection unless I have doubles. I can check my doubles bin but I don’t think I have any doubles of these. What I can do is check my local used book store (I’ve bought many hockey books there over the years and I’m good friends with the owners) and see if they have a copy. Don’t quote me on it but I’m pretty sure I seen at least 1 Imlach book the last time I was there a few weeks ago. If it’s still there I can scoop it up and mail it to you.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I checked online and there’s paperback copies of Heaven and Hell in the NHL for about $8 or $9.

If you don’t have an amazon account I can order it and have it delivered to your house as a gift. I assume amazon delivers to your area? It’s from the marketplace, so I might not be able to put your address. I might have to get it shipped here and then mail it to you. Let me know. It would be much easier if you have an amazon account but again not sure if they ship to South Korea.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I don't have a credit card.
I don't eat crow.
I decline.

I should also say that my collection will one day belong to my son. I’ve spent a lot of money and time over the years accumulating what I can only assume is one of the largest hockey publication and book collections in the world. A complete run of The Hockey News dating back to 1947, plus over 1,100 hockey books & others hockey publications/magazines...it all equals up to over 3,600 total pieces at the present time. I hope to share this passion and interest for hockey history with him as he grows up, and the plan is for me to pass it all down to him one day.

So that’s why I don’t part with anything. But I’m always willing to help find a specific book for you. And like I mentioned I can keep an eye on my local book shop.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I should also say that my collection will one day belong to my son. I’ve spent a lot of money and time over the years accumulating what I can only assume is one of the largest hockey publication and book collections in the world. A complete run of The Hockey News dating back to 1947, plus over 1,100 hockey books & others hockey publications/magazines...it all equals up to over 3,600 total pieces at the present time. I hope to share this passion and interest for hockey history with him as he grows up, and the plan is for me to pass it all down to him one day.

So that’s why I don’t part with anything. But I’m always willing to help find a specific book for you. And like I mentioned I can keep an eye on my local book shop.

This is incredible. Such passion should be highlighted and celebrated.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This is incredible. Such passion should be highlighted and celebrated.

Thanks bud!

I was actually “featured” in a small article in The Hockey News magazine about 6-7 years ago. Toews/Kane in Team Canada jersey’s were on the cover of that particular issue. My collection has grown quite a bit since then. I didn’t have the first 11 volumes back then and my book collection wasn’t nearly as large. The picture they used only featured the THN issues anyways.

Anyways, here’s a pic. Not sure if anyone will be able to read it. On a phone you’ll definitely have to zoom in. I’ll see if I can find a quality scan.

As you can imagine, this was like a dream come true for me! As a kid I would read THN religiously, so to actually be in the magazine was a huge trip.

4FA2D0B3-8964-4269-B406-71DC23EDA464.jpeg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

I remember Selke explaining what a "chicken fancier" was!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Analytics Mailbag: How responsible is Carey Price for Canadiens' woes? - Sportsnet.ca

Andrew Berkshire:
"@SMC459: With Price again voted the NHL’s best goalie by the players, what statistics do you have that suggests the blame for the team’s struggles should be taken off his shoulders and perhaps placed elsewhere?

Age is definitely a factor in Price’s numbers falling off in recent seasons. After being one of the most consistent goaltenders in the league through his prime, he’s starting to have at least one stretch each season where he really struggles, and each year that stretch gets longer.

With that said, at 5-vs-5 last season (2018-19), Price had posted an essentially identical save percentage to
Tuukka Rask — while facing more than two extra slot shots per game — and nearly 20 per cent more pre-shot movement. Among starting goaltenders, Price was sixth in save percentage from the inner slot, and 10th in save percentage from the slot overall.

While short-handed:
only Andrei Vasilevskiy had a better save percentage from the inner slot, and Price had the top save percentage in the league from the slot overall at 88.5 per cent.

This season is a different story, as Price is 23rd among starters from the inner slot at 5-vs-5, 23rd from the slot overall and he’s actually faced fewer scoring chances than he did last season. Strangely, Price remains one of the league’s top short-handed goalies, but at 5-vs-5 the Canadiens have actively worked to make things easier on him — it hasn’t worked out, though.

Part of the issue for Price might simply be he’s playing too much. Over the last two seasons, he leads all goaltenders with 7,320 minutes played, 400 more minutes than the next most-played goalie in Connor Hellebuyck, and he’s nearly seven years older than Hellebuyck. His numbers aren’t terrible, but even last year they were vastly better. I wouldn’t call him the problem, but he hasn’t been the solution either."

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
VHL league standings: NHL94 Online.com | Standings
League scoring leaders: NHL94 Online.com | Player Stat Leaders
team stats (one of many stat panels, this one sorted by Goal dif): NHL94 Online.com | Team Stats
team stats (misc panel, sorted by FO% - yes I need to work on this): NHL94 Online.com | Team Stats
B-side playoff bracket: NHL94 Online.com | Playoffs
Game sheet from game 1 of my semifinal series (I swept the #1 seed): NHL94 Online.com | Playoff Box Score

Including regular season and playoffs across 2 seasons (including a stint in the A league filling in for someone), I'm 46-57-2 all-time online* - and I had zero experience playing 94 before this. I had the transferable skills from countless hours of 93, 96 and 97, but still it's a different game with different mechanics and ways to score, so I was quite the noob. I've made great strides in a short time, and so can you!

*just thought I'd point out for the stats geeks, that I've managed to be 11 games under .500 despite a goal differential of just -4. I have 265 GF, and 269 against. Certainly about 5 one-goal losses should have been one-goal wins for me but that's the way she goes. I used to be very non-clutch but I've gotten better at this. For example: My first round series. I was the 4th seed up against the 5th, who had swept the season series against me. he had me on the ropes, up 3-2 in the series, up 2-0 in game 6. I thought back to the 2002 Toronto Maple leafs, who were in the exact same scenario and bounced back. So I did like them, minus the taking advantage of an ill-timed 5-minute boarding major, of course. I found myself down 2-0 early in game 7 as well, but fought back yet again to take the series.

I finally got the Genesis controller delivered. Going to set it up today or tomorrow.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was offered a one-year work contract extension yesterday, and just two hours ago officially received the work visa to do it. :) I can finally teach after having been laid off without pay since Feb. 21st. Yeah, I had to accept $500 a month less pay (biz is at 40% of preCOVID19 level) but at least I can teach, stay in my free apartment and get an income. That half a thou a month i lose is no biggie since i usually used it for traveling, a hobby i won't be doing over the next 12 months i expect anyways.

Last edited:

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I was offered a one-year work contract extension yesterday, and just two hours ago officially received the work visa to do it. :) I can finally teach after having been laid off without pay since Feb. 21st. Yeah, I had to accept $500 a month less pay (biz is at 40% of preCOVID19 level) but at least I can teach, stay in my free apartment and get an income. That half a thou a month i lose is no biggie since i usually used it for traveling, a hobby i won't be doing over the next 12 months i expect anyways.
Congratulations! Nice to hear some good news!

Reactions: Elvis P
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad