ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Bellows, in the couple years before and after his draft, was talked about the way Jonathan Toews was talked about. He ended up being your run-of-the-mill 1000 point scorer with some size and jam, but nothing special physically, defensively, or in the leadership department. My bio from 2017 has it all.

Spent the past 25 minutes reading your bio on Bellows. Great stuff. Thankfully the search engine seems to be working again.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
7072f1765b50e363bbf00cc92e967feb.jpg

Whoever made that is a genius. I remember thinking something along these lines when Chara was raging with the Cup IN Vancouver after winning the Cup in a game 7. Shit being thrown from all directions. Small pockets of the city on fire afterwards.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I highly recommend a Newspapers.com subscription.

If you're looking for something to fill the time, there is a MOUNTAIN of information on early era players. It has been thoroughly rewarding doing research with such a tool.

Glad to see you guys finally seeing the light about this.

For three years it seemed only @Sprague Cleghorn and I were aware of what a goldmine it was. I tried to promote it but people didn't seem ready to make the jump.

This is (mostly) what I've used in my research on the Ottawa dynasty, which enabled me to collect one or multiple sources for every single game.

If you guys are interested, here's another goldmine for western canadian newspapers (especially Winnipeg and Edmonton), this one free: Newspapers

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Gretzky had 6 Hart trophies before Ovechkin was born.

I just saw online the old man beat OV at a hockey video game (it was earlier in April i think but i just came across it).

As one might expect, OV tried to get his guy to deke and shoot himself while 3 of Gretz's 5 goals were tic-tac-toe passing.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Calvin Ridley or Julio Jones?
Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb?
Route runner or after catch performer?

Make the catch or go for the TD.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
An All Time NBA draft community I've recently joined are doing sort of a unique draft which could be a good idea for an offseason draft.

White elephant draft, they're doing single season
- You pick a player
- The next person has the option of picking someone else or stealing your player
- Once a player has been stolen twice they are locked in and can't be taken anymore
- Players lock in at the end of each round. So the first person in round 2 cannot steal a player from round one

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We never done a...

NON-HHOF Draft
"The Best of the Rest"

Either limit the number of active players (e.g., 3 starters) or have a minimum number of games played by active players requirement (e.g., 300 NHL games).

That would be interesting and productive (suss out and highlight yet to be appreciated greats).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wear a mask, don't touch your eyes (if you have glasses you are protected against unmasked open coughs too) and when you take off your mask immediately wash your hands with sanitizer or 3-minute sink rigorous wash. And change into after-work clothes when you get home.

Then you will be fine.

Now is the time to be disciplined.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wear a mask, don't touch your eyes (if you have glasses you are protected against unmasked open coughs too) and when you take off your mask immediately wash your hands with sanitizer or 3-minute sink rigorous wash. And change into after-work clothes when you get home.

Then you will be fine.

What's the latest in SK good sir?

Hope you are well Van.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Foreigners in the Seoul neighbourhood of Itaewon (the ex-US military base area) often congregate for shopping, restaurant and temple services.

But when the gov't let down the restrictions two weeks ago (after weeks of single digit infections nationwide, less than 9 per day in a country of 50,000,000+)... a lot of 20-something Koreans AND notably FOREIGNERS went to night clubs in Itaewon, especially a couple of gay clubs where the virus suddenly re-emerged.

Now there are again a spike in infections (30+ a day) and the public schools decided to delay starting the March 1st new school year until June!! (They were set to te-open in May.) All because young adults stupidly couldn't avoid congregating at night in small rooms to socialize. Ugh.

I live in a small town far from Seoul (3.5 hour drive) but I worry about the fallout from the Seoul neighbourhood antics.

Young people don't care a lot. This is the achilles' heel.
How much will respect for elders and ancestor worship limit behavior domestically?

My town in South Korea is still FAR safer than hometown Vancouver. But for how long?

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Then you will be fine.

Thanks bud. I’m mostly concerned with the airborne aspect of it all. I know there is still a lot of unknowns, but they say that someone carrying the virus can infect someone simply by talking a few feet away from them. I will certainly wear a mask, but from everything I have read that is more for the safety of others. They would have to be wearing a mask as well for myself to be protected. At least that’s how I understand it.

Either way, I suppose being paranoid won’t help a thing. And we can’t live life in a bubble. Just have to be as safe and cautious as possible and hope this craziness goes away eventually.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thanks bud. I’m mostly concerned with the airborne aspect of it all. I know there is still a lot of unknowns, but they say that someone carrying the virus can infect someone simply by talking a few feet away from them. I will certainly wear a mask, but from everything I have read that is more for the safety of others. They would have to be wearing a mask as well for myself to be protected. At least that’s how I understand it.

Either way, I suppose being paranoid won’t help a thing. And we can’t live life in a bubble. Just have to be as safe and cautious as possible and hope this craziness goes away eventually.

Here's a really good article on the relative risks of various activities, including diagrams to show how the virus spreads through the air: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Is your job indoors with other people sharing the same office space? Are there windows in the space that can be opened? All of these seem to be important factors.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Here's a really good article on the relative risks of various activities, including diagrams to show how the virus spreads through the air: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Is your job indoors with other people sharing the same office space? Are there windows in the space that can be opened? All of these seem to be important factors.

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

I work in a warehouse/factory type of setting, with about 25 co-workers. It’s a large enough space but there are no windows except for a large door at the very back where there is a loading dock for trucks to unload supplies. So I am in fairly close contact with all of my co-workers, sometimes working directly beside 3-4 people. I assume masks will be mandatory so that should at least lower the risk.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

I work in a warehouse/factory type of setting, with about 25 co-workers. It’s a large enough space but there are no windows except for a large door at the very back where there is a loading dock for trucks to unload supplies. So I am in fairly close contact with all of my co-workers, sometimes working directly beside 3-4 people. I assume masks will be mandatory so that should at least lower the risk.

Yes, if at all possible, do not stand face to face with someone who is not wearing a mask. Hopefully, your job will do mandatory temperature checks before each shift, as well. I know that's what Asian countries that have their shit together are doing...

Good luck! I'm getting an antibody test on Sunday. I suspect I had a mild case of it in mid-March, but my girlfriend didn't have any symptoms, so who knows?

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
An All Time NBA draft community I've recently joined are doing sort of a unique draft which could be a good idea for an offseason draft.

White elephant draft, they're doing single season
- You pick a player
- The next person has the option of picking someone else or stealing your player
- Once a player has been stolen twice they are locked in and can't be taken anymore
- Players lock in at the end of each round. So the first person in round 2 cannot steal a player from round one

oooh. I like it. Too gimmicky to replace the main draft IMO, but as an offseason draft? Sounds fun.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am in a country that had thousands of infections that were reduced to zero for days on days (until last week foreigners at a gay club in Seoul sparked a huge new outbreak).

How did South Korea go from 2nd in the world in infections to 43rd?

The citizens wore masks, used sanitizer, stayed away from crowds as instructed and the government tracked infections closely: providing quick testing, monitoring smartphone location data from telecommunication companies and demanding quarantine for those infected.

I teach 100+ virus-riddled children. Most just get a cold or the flu but there's always someone coughing or sneezing.

I haven't gotten sick at all lately because we all have to wear masks, clean our hands with sanitizer and not share pencils, erasers, etc.

Precautions work.

We may not see the virus. But we know how it's transmitted and can reduce the risk of infection to single digits (9% or less).

BE CAREFUL.

The new normal.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
oooh. I like it. Too gimmicky to replace the main draft IMO, but as an offseason draft? Sounds fun.

Here were the "official" rules

1. Make pick
2. If pick is stolen pick again.
3. If not stolen move to next gm.
4.If your pick is stolen later, pick again.
5. Players locked in after they are stolen twice.
6. Picks lock in at end of round
7. If your player is stolen, you must pick a new player, not steal

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Here were the "official" rules

1. Make pick
2. If pick is stolen pick again.
3. If not stolen move to next gm.
4.If your pick is stolen later, pick again.
5. Players locked in after they are stolen twice.
6. Picks lock in at end of round
7. If your player is stolen, you must pick a new player, not steal

That sounds really slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->