ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If you want your team to do better, you have two options:
1. Draft a better team.
2. Make better arguments for your team.

I’ll try not to take this to heart, coming from someone with 10+ years experience and zero titles to show for it. ;)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I trust the knowledge base of SIHR members, but I don't necessarily trust that they'll actually follow the ATD for months and read all the discussions, because why would they?

Yeah, you raise a good point. We’d have to insure the panel would follow the process from the beginning.

Again, my idea isn’t without flaws. But we should be allowed to bring them up for discussions to see what others think. Should be an open discussion for things like this. It’s just a general idea that we can spitball ideas around and go from there.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
If you want your team to do better, you have two options:
1. Draft a better team.
2. Make better arguments for your team.

3. Come up with bullshit VsX fancy stats to put your team on a pedastal.

Seems like quite a lot of us are out going forward unless changes are made. Outside voters need to come in for next year - that seems non-negotiable at this point. SIHR is certainly a good place to reach out and I'm sure they would even collaborate with such an elaborate historical exercise as the ATD is.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Change for the sake of change. Different results aren’t necessarily better results.

How does a panel make the results better?

A panel would bring an outside perspective, and it would be change from the exact same group of people voting on the teams built by the exact same group of people every single year.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I LOVE how any time someone brings up the idea of changes to the typical formula, or if you speak out in any way regarding an opinion of predictability, you’re labelled a whiner or a “sore loser.”

I knew I wasn’t going to f***ing win. Nor did I think I built a club deserving of the title this year. That’s not what this is about. It’s about expressing a valid opinion held by not just myself.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Well, to steer the conversation away from some of the more personal accusations, let's state it in a group dynamics way, there seems to be a plurality for a particular paradigm in this thing, and the dissenters are not at all in agreement on alternatives, so yeah, ain't nothing changed but the weather lol

Agreed with @nabby12 on this definitely not a good way to maintain participation, either more new people need to be bought in that already maintain or will accept the paradigm of the plurality, or just have a high bounce rate of new participants, and a slower attrition rate of older ones.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I created a thread for rules discussions for future drafts if anyone wants to use it. Because anything posted here is going to be mostly forgotten when we set up ATD2022.

As for the current discussion, past ATD GMs have always been allowed to vote, but most decline when asked, because they don't feel like they can adequately vote without following the draft from the beginning.

(In the ATD that happened in my year+ break from hfboards, seventieslord convinced me to vote for the regular season with the names of all the GMs redacted... ).

Reactions: seventieslord

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Folks,

I tested positive for covid. Been resting most of the afternoon/evening. Feel a lot better than I did 2 nights ago. So now just a waiting game. Hopefully the worst is behind me and thankfully I didn't have contact with my son since the end of last week so I'm hopeful he wasn't exposed once I had it.

Anyway, I'll get some discussion in my series, but it may not be the normal volume people are accustomed. I just want to focus on getting better as quickly as possible and that means I'll probably be away from the forum a good bit the next few days.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Folks,

I tested positive for covid. Been resting most of the afternoon/evening. Feel a lot better than I did 2 nights ago. So now just a waiting game. Hopefully the worst is behind me and thankfully I didn't have contact with my son since the end of last week so I'm hopeful he wasn't exposed once I had it.

Anyway, I'll get some discussion in my series, but it may not be the normal volume people are accustomed. I just want to focus on getting better as quickly as possible and that means I'll probably be away from the forum a good bit the next few days.

take it easy partner, hopefully it isn’t a serious case, pulling for you here

Reactions: ImporterExporter

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Folks,

Feel better, man. I suspect I had a mild case in March 2020 (before anyone could get tested), but I'll never know for sure.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Feel better, man. I suspect I had a mild case in March 2020 (before anyone could get tested), but I'll never know for sure.

Thanks sir! I think the only way to know would be an antibody test. I could be wrong on that though. I do know last fall a friend of mine went to get that done to determine if he had it at any point.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Folks,

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Anyway, I'll get some discussion in my series, but it may not be the normal volume people are accustomed.

Thank god! :laugh:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
It's been four days of radio-silence from ImporterExporter. I don't participate in major Social Media- but maybe someone who does might recall where we could find his page(s)- and see if they can discover anything further. If material thus found is personal/sensitive, then perhaps dissemination could be limited to PMs.

My feeling is- Big League Sports make re-schedulings and accommodations around COVID flare-ups. Why should our ATD triviality be any different?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's been four days of radio-silence from ImporterExporter. I don't participate in major Social Media- but maybe someone who does might recall where we could find his page(s)- and see if they can discover anything further. If material thus found is personal/sensitive, then perhaps dissemination could be limited to PMs.

My feeling is- Big League Sports make re-schedulings and accommodations around COVID flare-ups. Why should our ATD triviality be any different?

Agreed. I had been talking to him via PM, offering to hold back on arguments I was going to make and let him catch up, but haven’t talked to him in couple days now.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'd like to give him a chance to make his case if possible. I think we've got two outstanding matches here, and I'd hate to vote on either if all involved didn't at least have a chance to make their cases. I'll go either way though. If the decision is to go ahead and vote, I'll get one in either tonight or tomorrow, but I'd prefer a delay. I know I'd appreciate being given that chance.

Reactions: Dirt 101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad