ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have a question -

I have a young kid, a job, a wife, and a drinking problem, so my ability to do research and bios while juggling an ATD is generally... aspirational. Is there any convention against pulling some together during the offseason for players that I just want to learn more about?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I have a question -

I have a young kid, a job, a wife, and a drinking problem, so my ability to do research and bios while juggling an ATD is generally... aspirational. Is there any convention against pulling some together during the offseason for players that I just want to learn more about?

Nope by all means go ahead

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I have a question -

I did Gordie Howe and Eddie Shore biographies in the off-season before ever drafting them.

I think most people here just like talking and learning more about great players. That isn’t limited to the ATD.

Some of us have pretty extensive libraries at home. I used to think mine was ridiculous... until some other posters here got featured in the Hockey News.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
ATD-wise, I would now put Connor McDavid somewhere between Bill Cowley and Joe Malone.

Brad Marchand is having another incredible season. Such a weird career arc. He's closer to Busher Jackson level than my brain is able to process. How fast things change.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
ATD-wise, I would now put Connor McDavid somewhere between Bill Cowley and Joe Malone.

Brad Marchand is having another incredible season. Such a weird career arc. He's closer to Busher Jackson level than my brain is able to process. How fast things change.

This year, Marchand likely gets a 1st Team All-Star and another top-10 in Hart voting. That would certainly put him close to Busher Jackson. He's still a bit behind offensively, but he brings a better play-off resume, and a much more well-rounded game.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This year, Marchand likely gets a 1st Team All-Star and another top-10 in Hart voting. That would certainly put him close to Busher Jackson. He's still a bit behind offensively, but he brings a better play-off resume, and a much more well-rounded game.

Pretty much. Even if he only gets a 2nd AST, his competition is quite strong with Panarin up there scoring MVP level PPG numbers. Huberdeau also not so far behind. Not a weak year for LWers (though Ovechkin is gone).

Marchand is about the become a regular near the 100-120th spot in the ATD. Ideal 1st line glue guy at LW.

Why prefer Syd Howe over him after this year?

I see Brad Marchand as a very close comparable stylistically to Toe Blake, though not at his level yet. But from now on, if you miss out on Toe Blake in the 70s and 80s, getting Marchand near 100-120th is an OK consolation price and would get the same job done.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think its pretty remarkable how Marchand turned into a real player instead of just a pest who potted a few. He did it a bit late (in the sense that most players don't start reeling off career seasons at like 28) and I wonder how much of it was his own behaviour holding him back and how much of it was opportunity etc.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think its pretty remarkable how Marchand turned into a real player instead of just a pest who potted a few.
BraveCanadian, that is pure horse manure.

Over the decade 2010-2019 Brad Marchand is 5th in NHL goals (more than the two Penguins even).

Plus, 1st in shorthanded goals AND 1st in shorthanded assists (fewer easy powerplay goals than most over the decade - and remember he led the NHL in even strength playoff goals in his team's Stanley Cup victorious run).

And 2nd in game winners that entire decade to Ovechkin.

Marchand also led the 2016 World Cup of Hockey in goals, where the tourney all star scored the cup-winning goal shorthanded.

The remarkable thing is how you, BraveCanadian, could have that take. ... I guess if you are a Habs fan, or are diehard anti-Bruins, or if Marchand was nasty to a fav player of yours, your blind shot makes sense.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
BraveCanadian, that is pure horse manure.

Over the decade 2010-2019 Brad Marchand is 5th in NHL goals (more than the two Penguins even).

Plus, 1st in shorthanded goals AND 1st in shorthanded assists (fewer easy powerplay goals than most over the decade - and remember he led the NHL in even strength playoff goals in his team's Stanley Cup victorious run).

And 2nd in game winners that entire decade to Ovechkin.

Marchand also led the 2016 World Cup of Hockey in goals, where the tourney all star scored the cup-winning goal shorthanded.

The remarkable thing is how you, BraveCanadian, could have that take. ... I guess if you are a Habs fan, or are diehard anti-Bruins, or if Marchand was nasty to a fav player of yours, your blind shot makes sense.

What are you on about? He very clearly went up a whole notch in 2016-2017.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The main difference is that he started to get time on the PP. His ES scoring has been remarkably consistent for his whole career.

That is what I was wondering -- how much was it his opportunities changing and how much of it was individual. From what I can see his ES production is up fairly significantly as well but that might also be a function of more opportunity. Certainly a lot of his additional points come from a big boost in PP time.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Congratulations @Dreakmur !

Your contributions in the last few years have been exemplary and an inspiration, and what better way than a championship to cap it all off! This was long overdue as you had been one of the top GMs for many years.

@BraveCanadian What a great come back in the ATD to make the finals right away, and a tough road to get there too. I know how difficult it is to make it there (haven't been in the Finals for 5 years myself!), and I hope this will encourage you to give it another go, as your presence makes the draft better. You deserved a better fate, but ultimately one team had to win.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Congrats to Dreakmur for breaking two ancient ATD paradigms at once ("great goalies aren't worth picking, you should win by picking low-end goalie like Fuhr" & "you need a strong #1 D-man (or, in this case, any #1 D-man at all)").

It was quite unusual to have a high pick like Gretzky AND a great goalie.. obviously that left the defense lacking but it worked.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congrats @Dreakmur! It's great to see someone who has contributed so much to the ATD win a Cup, and you built a team that deserved it.

Also Congrats to @BraveCanadian for a building a strong team and making the Final, it was great to have you back after being away for a few years, I hope you'll be back again next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad