ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'll pick Todd Bertuzzi, W

Always good to have a goon who can play as an extra forward. Bonus that he can play both wings.

Was he actually a heavyweight fighter? I always thought he just kind of bullied guys he knew he could take.

Still a physical player and intimidating presence, but I don't think he can go toe-to-toe with any of the real tough guys.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
sorry! I'll go with:

C Kris Draper

kris-draper-doesnt-expect-an-apology-from-claude-lemieux-two-decades-later.jpg

SH%....TmSH
33%0.82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
56.7% lifetime FO%

1997 Stanley Cup Champion
1998 Stanley Cup Champion
2002 Stanley Cup Champion
2003 World Championship Gold Medalist
2004 World Championship Gold medalist
2004 Selke Trophy
2004 World Cup Champion
2008 Stanley Cup Champion

Legends of Hockey:
Upon his arrival with the Wings, Draper quickly became recognized as one of the fastest skaters in the league and one of its premier penalty killers. [While in Detroit he played on] one of the league's premier checking lines and was instrumental in leading the Wings to back-to-back Stanley Cup titles in 1997 and 1998.

Known for his durability, injuries limited the speedy centreman to 51 games in 1999-00 and over the course of the next three seasons, would miss a mere 7 games while playing a key role in the Wings third Stanley Cup title in six years.

Known for his durability, injuries limited the speedy centreman to 51 games in 1999-00 and over the course of the next three seasons, would miss a mere 7 games while playing a key role in the Wings third Stanley Cup title in six years. Having already established himself as one the premier defensive players in the league, Draper's offensive numbers began to take notice. After establishing a career high in assists (21) and points (35) in 2002-03, Draper established a career in goals (24) in 2003-04 and surpassed his point total with (40), while capturing the Selke Trophy as the games top defensive forward. Over the next two seasons, Draper's offensive output would decrease, however he still managed to stay healthy and appear in nearly every one of the club's games. In the 2007-08 season, Draper competed in his 900th game, scored his 300th career point, and suffered a few minor injuries before he appeared in all 21 playoff games during the Red Wings drive to Cup. The Cup victory was the fourth of Draper's successful career in Detroit.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As per PM:
BenchBrawl said:
Montreal picks Mark Stone, RW. Stone has a Selke record of 2, 5, 6, which is solid for a RWer at this point. He's currently playing his 7th season, which should enter him into the VsX best 7 years leaderboard.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
540th overall, the Jackals select 6'2 tall HHOF forward Bruce Stuart, the captain of the 1909 and 1911 Stanley Cup champion Senators after winning the cup in 1908 as a Montreal Wanderer. The top scorer and 1st team all-star of the 1903 WPHL, was a 1st, 2nd, 2nd all star in the first pro league, the FHL (where he also led in penalties twice), ending up a 1st team all star again in 1909 in the ECHA. Hockey history's first great power forward.

8770edde764603a2ffa1726bdfc3a8e0_XL.jpg

Montreal Gazette game report said:
... Stuart's face was covered with blood, but he continued to mix it up roughly... He was the best puck carrier for Ottawa and bored in more successfully than any forward on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreakmur

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Man, you just DON'T find any worthy Hall-of-Famers at this level of the draft...

Oh, wait-

With their penultimate pick in the 2021 Main ATD, the Philadelphia Phantoms add a face who will be very familiar to Nighbor, Denneny, and coach Gorman- listed as "Forward" in the Retro-Smythe project (where he may be found, cited twice), utilized as an RW in previous ATDs, yet someone who has played all three Forward positions (but doesn't figure to get any looks at Center [another one of them- I don't need])...

W Jack Darragh

In the past half-dozen main ATDs, he's been picked this lower than this but once. His average slotting in the last six ATDs had been 494, which suggests that he would have been a creditable selection two Rounds ago.

The fact that he's selected this low seems to be enduring testament to his possible branding with the 'Scarlet-Letter-S' (soft) which received some push-back in the closing paragraph of @overpass ATD-bio found here.

My impressions of Darragh:
1) Even though post-season Playoffs of Darragh's era are an incredibly thin sample-size to make conclusions about clutch-time performance, soft players do not receive believable credit for being the most important Playoff-performer in back-to-back years.
2) His work-ethic and attitude are questioned by (as-far-as-I-can-tell) no-one, which makes him an example to others, and a Coach's dream.
3) H-R, invaluable though it is, mistakenly lists him as an RHS. He is, in actuality, an LHS who's perhaps the 'ur'-version of the off-handed shot RWer.
4) Accepting in advance his primary position is RW, I can conceive scenarios where he'd get looks at LW- but (as mentioned earlier) Philly won't be using him at the Center position- as I suppose he's the primary "without" option in the "with-or-without-you" analysis that helped skyrocket Nighbor's reputation.

PM sent to @Leaf Lander

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
540th overall, the Jackals select 6'2 tall HHOF forward Bruce Stuart, the captain of the 1909 and 1911 Stanley Cup champion Senators after winning the cup in 1908 as a Montreal Wanderer. The top scorer and 1st team all-star of the 1903 WPHL, was a 1st, 2nd, 2nd all star in the first pro league, the FHL (where he also led in penalties twice), ending up a 1st team all star again in 1909 in the ECHA. Hockey history's first great power forward.

8770edde764603a2ffa1726bdfc3a8e0_XL.jpg

This picture was mistakenly printed when Hod Stuart died, which has led to a lot of people thinking this is him.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs are proud to select

Creative playmaking center
2 time Stanley cup winner and 3 time Allstar who was the straw that stirred the drink for the leafs in the 1950s

Tod Sloan C

Delvecchio -Trottier-Kurri
Shutt - Sittler- Armstrong
Propp-Draisaitl -Vaive
Klukay-Kasper- Nevin
Sloan

Suter- MacInnis
Tremblay-Howell
Thomson -Mortson
Stanowski

Smith
Quick

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Man, you just DON'T find any worthy Hall-of-Famers at this level of the draft...

Oh, wait-

With their penultimate pick in the 2021 Main ATD, the Philadelphia Phantoms add a face who will be very familiar to Nighbor, Denneny, and coach Gorman- listed as "Forward" in the Retro-Smythe project (where he may be found, cited twice), utilized as an RW in previous ATDs, yet someone who has played all three Forward positions (but doesn't figure to get any looks at Center [another one of them- I don't need])...

W Jack Darragh

In the past half-dozen main ATDs, he's been picked this lower than this but once. His average slotting in the last six ATDs had been 494, which suggests that he would have been a creditable selection two Rounds ago.

The fact that he's selected this low seems to be enduring testament to his possible branding with the 'Scarlet-Letter-S' (soft) which received some push-back in the closing paragraph of @overpass ATD-bio found here.

My impressions of Darragh:
1) Even though post-season Playoffs of Darragh's era are an incredibly thin sample-size to make conclusions about clutch-time performance, soft players do not receive believable credit for being the most important Playoff-performer in back-to-back years.
2) His work-ethic and attitude are questioned by (as-far-as-I-can-tell) no-one, which makes him an example to others, and a Coach's dream.
3) H-R, invaluable though it is, mistakenly lists him as an RHS. He is, in actuality, an LHS who's perhaps the 'ur'-version of the off-handed shot RWer.
4) Accepting in advance his primary position is RW, I can conceive scenarios where he'd get looks at LW- but (as mentioned earlier) Philly won't be using him at the Center position- as I suppose he's the primary "without" option in the "with-or-without-you" analysis that helped skyrocket Nighbor's reputation.

PM sent to @Leaf Lander

Well, there goes that idea for my last pick.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Steve Thomas, RW/LW

latest

Stumpy Thomas was a great clutch scorer. His 78 game winning goals are good for 38th all time, and his 13 OT goals are tied for 15th all time. At one point he was the all time leader in regular season OT points with 21.

He really did play both wings, which makes him a good fit as a spare forward here. He played mostly RW with the Islanders and then played LW in his second stint with the Leafs, for example.

Thomas was nothing special on the power play or penalty kill but he was a very good even strength scorer. His 7 year EV VsX is 50, the same as Todd Bertuzzi, Rod Brind'Amour, and Rick Middleton.

Toronto Maple Leafs Legends: Steve Thomas
"Thomas was a high energy player, relying on explosive speed bursts to key a ferocious fore-check. With his low center of gravity and tree trunk legs, he was almost impossible to remove from the puck once he took it from a player. He possessed and absolutely lethal shot, a weapon that allowed him to score 421 times in the NHL. Unfortunately he always thought shot, and he could have benefited from developing a passing game after forcing turnovers on the forecheck."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad