ATD 2021 Draft Thread IV

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's always funny how no one brings up Thomas in those boilerplate debates about whether Sundin had wingers.

"Hoglund and Antropov sucked!"
"But Mogilny!"
"Mogilny was old!"
"Mogilny led the team with 79 points one year!"
"But I saw a game where he was injured and they put Paul Healey on the first line for some reason!"

And then for a few years Thomas was just this perfectly acceptable complementary winger that serves neither side of the debate.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
We'll take the third wheel of the French Connection line - a grinder and playmaker and the defensive conscience of the line who played the point on the Sabres' power play. Welcome to Portland, René Robert (RW)!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
He likely would have been my pick last round had Burrows not been available. Just a solid and dependable guy to have on the backend. Good pick.
Both of those guys were in the pool of options for me when I took Ted Harris. Ultimately, I think Harris is the one among them who had the recognition as an exceptional overall defenseman, and I'd lean towards Hajt if I really needed to fix a weak PK unit. As it was, with Gerard and Chelios as my first unit pair, am I really improving that by bringing in another guy, and am I getting the most out of Hajt if I throw him on the second unit?

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Team Canada would like to welcome, from Medicine Hat, Alberta, Captain Canuck, Trevor Linden.

upload_2021-2-22_12-57-55.jpeg

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I'll pick one of the toughest mofos to ever play the game, Mark Tinordi

Wrote about him before (ATD 2020 Draft Thread V) but I remember some questions about him, and some dismissal of him as just a goon, so I pulled up his rankings in the Hockey Digest yearbooks (they used to split between offensive and defensive defensemen).

1991-92 Yearbook defensive defenseman: first
1992-93 Yearbook defensive defenseman: fifth (with discussion in his profile that he'd be first if he hadn't had to deal with injuries he'd be first)
1993-94 Yearbook defensive defenseman: first again
(stopped making yearbooks after that year)

They also ranked in sub areas and Tinordi did well in all of them (except durability lol), coming at the top in checking and slot coverage.

Hockey Scouting Report wrote copious praise on Tinordi. Things like one of the best defenseman in the world and Norris candidate if he would have avoided the freak injuries. Referred to him in the mold of Ray Bourque without the complete set of high level skating and finesse skills offensively, but a more defensive version. Later after many of the injuries kept piling up he was still referred to as a blue collar Scott Stevens.

But the dismissal as a goon isn't entirely inaccurate. Tinordi did start off as a goon before adding considerably to his game, and he even improved in goonery, as he changed from a dude who could take a lot of punches to one of the best technical fighters in the game.

Just like Lindros was said to be able to score a couple of points and then beat up your enforcer, Tinordi would shut down your superstar and then beat up your enforcer too lol

I like him with Ted Green as well as with Coffey for some matchups. Consider him my number four after the big three on D

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We'll take the third wheel of the French Connection line - a grinder and playmaker and the defensive conscience of the line who played the point on the Sabres' power play. Welcome to Portland, René Robert (RW)!

Pretty rare and useful skillset. Not many bottom 6 style players excelled at playing the point on the PP

Reactions: Selfish Man

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
NJ fans can't stand Thomas because he replaced Claude Lemieux's Conn Smythe with stupid feet in the crease in the 1997 playoffs.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to him in NJ because I liked to stay awake but it looks like his GP and numbers in general were way down playing there. Bad fit?

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Steve Thomas was very well liked in the leafs dressing room. He was 8 yrs older then Mats Sundin. Thomas paid his dues in the AHL till he got tired of riding the busses in the mid 80s he got called up to the leafs and stayed in the NHL for good.

He was fast and had a great shot playing with a hunger to produce.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I pmed glitch to let him know he was up. I’ll make my final pick of the 2021 draft within a few minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad