Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Wally is my #7 defender
Ranked 66 out of 100 top leaf players of all time

Wally was the main cog defensively of the 42 leafs cup.
None of the players mentioned would ever be mentioned as the top dman on a Stanley Cup winner

In his prime he was a dominant player with superior skill set that was above that of most players during the 40s.

The Prime of his career was interupted by 3 years of service in World War 2

Comparable peer is Bucko MacDonald who had 123 points in 11 seasons
Wally had 111 points in 10 seasons...missing 3 yrs during the war.

This man could figure skate when most players couldn't even skate backwards

Suter- MacInnis
Tremblay-Howell
Thomson -Mortson
Stanowski

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to take a goalie who's far and away the best in a whole 10-year cohort, not even close. That's cool! But he's available as the 43rd goalie taken because the goaltending talent born between 1951 and 1961 is absolutely dire for a number of reasons, from developmental leagues adopting tandem systems, to new butterfly goaltenders pushing the younger half of that cohort out the door. Anyway, one guy from that sad group got all-star and Vezina support in both 1980 and 1990, which suggests he's a really talented and adaptable athlete who might have been even better had he been born even 6 or 7 years earlier or later (for different reasons in each case, of course).

The Verafin Huskies backup goaltender will be Mike Liut.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Liut.

I remember when I was in elementary school that his hockey card was coveted.

But i also remember when you couldn't give it away.

5 playoff berths in a 13+ NHL career?

My generation thought of Liut as a short-peak wonder. There are two undrafteds that were considered better.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Should we be putting quotes from elementary school students in our bios now?
Sort of sounds like you guys overreacted to a famously bad game Liut had. Which is a strike against him, but come on. Elementary school students.
5 playoff berths in a 13+ NHL career?
This might be the most easily verified incorrect statement I've ever seen in the ATD.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
All my centers have a goalscoring-bent, and are physical to different degrees, so Vincent Lecavalier, C would be a good short-term replacement up the center hierarchy.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Should we be putting quotes from elementary school students in our bios now?
Sort of sounds like you guys overreacted to a famously bad game Liut had. Which is a strike against him, but come on. Elementary school students.

And yet, five years later, in the middle of the 80s, he had a playoff season where he put up a .938 save percentage and a 1.91 GAA average, not to mention taking the eventual Stanley Cup champions to the wire. Do that somewhere other than Hartford, and I suspect there would have been a deserved reputation rebound.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
And yet, five years later, in the middle of the 80s, he had a playoff season where he put up a .938 save percentage and a 1.91 GAA average, not to mention taking the eventual Stanley Cup champions to the wire. Do that somewhere other than Hartford, and I suspect there would have been a deserved reputation rebound.

He had an 0.874 SP that year..

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
An island of calm in very rough waters.

Well, let's look at that. In 1984-85, the average save percentage in the NHL was .875 and the average GAA was 3.79. Liut's numbers were .885 and 3.59. In 1985-86, the league save percentage was .874 and the league GAA was 3.87. Liut's numbers were .874 and 3.61. In 1986-87, the league averages were .880 and 3.56. Liut's stats were .885 and 3.23. So, that's taking in regular seasons that year, the year before, and the year after for context, and he was better than average at every stat, except the 1985-86 save percentage which was dead on the league average. That's not very rough waters. And frankly, even with scoring today much lower than then, .938 and 1.91 would be considered a good playoffs. When an average team scored about four goals a game back then, roughly a full goal more than today, those numbers were absolutely stellar. Plus, if he's crucified for a single game disaster, shouldn't he be given that much more credit for eight sensational playoff games which, once again, included taking the eventual Stanley Cup champions to the wire (OT in game 7)? In fact, if he plays that whole series, who's to say it doesn't change the outcome? He wasn't in net on the night Montreal beat Hartford 5-3. It's hard to see Liut giving up that many goals as hot as he was.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Well, let's look at that. In 1984-85, the average save percentage in the NHL was .875 and the average GAA was 3.79. Liut's numbers were .885 and 3.59. In 1985-86, the league save percentage was .874 and the league GAA was 3.87. Liut's numbers were .874 and 3.61. In 1986-87, the league averages were .880 and 3.56. Liut's stats were .885 and 3.23. So, that's taking in regular seasons that year, the year before, and the year after for context, and he was better than average at every stat, except the 1985-86 save percentage which was dead on the league average. That's not very rough waters. And frankly, even with scoring today much lower than then, .938 and 1.91 would be considered a good playoffs. When an average team scored about four goals a game back then, roughly a full goal more than today, those numbers were absolutely stellar. Plus, if he's crucified for a single game disaster, shouldn't he be given that much more credit for eight sensational playoff games which, once again, included taking the eventual Stanley Cup champions to the wire (OT in game 7)? In fact, if he plays that whole series, who's to say it doesn't change the outcome? He wasn't in net on the night Montreal beat Hartford 5-3. It's hard to see Liut giving up that many goals as hot as he was.

So you are saying he's an average goalie in a very bad era for goaltenders and he got hot? I don't understand your argument. SP of course not being a very good stat.

[ok, i see his numbers compare to Fuhr's somewhat and Fuhr was definitely the best goalie mid-80s.]

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So you are saying he's an average goalie in a very bad era for goaltenders and he got hot? I don't understand your argument. SP of course not being a very good stat.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm not saying he was average. I'm saying that he was a clearly above average goalie during that time. The statistics clearly bear that out when five out of the six were better than the league average and the sixth was dead on it, and I don't think save percentage is as bad a stat as you make it out to be. Honestly, it's far more telling than goalie wins, and a lot of people tend to worship that stat. But even with the consideration that that was a weak era for goaltending, it still does absolutely nothing to change the fact that he was beyond stellar in that playoff appearance. It's also worth mentioning that the HOH board apparently gives his career some solid value since he did make the top 40 goalies of all time list. So, if the argument you're making is that he's not a worthy backup goalie here in a 24 team league, I'm not sure what that's based on.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think it's pretty clear that I'm not saying he was average. I'm saying that he was a clearly above average goalie during that time. The statistics clearly bear that out when five out of the six were better than the league average and the sixth was dead on it, and I don't think save percentage is as bad a stat as you make it out to be. Honestly, it's far more telling than goalie wins, and a lot of people tend to worship that stat. But even with the consideration that that was a weak era for goaltending, it still does absolutely nothing to change the fact that he was beyond stellar in that playoff appearance. It's also worth mentioning that the HOH board apparently gives his career some solid value since he did make the top 40 goalies of all time list. So, if the argument you're making is that he's not a worthy backup goalie here in a 24 team league, I'm not sure what that's based on.

It's not a good stat at all, but that should work in his favor not against him.

Go Habs Go

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I think it’s important to have a reliable #7 on the back end. A guy you can comfortably slot in at moments over the course of a playoff series without there being a noticeable dropoff in ability or intangibles.
I agree with the bolded- but my leading reasons are probably a little different. First- after 12 F, 6D, the next most plausible starting set-up is 11 F, 7D. Secondly, a depth man is helpful to fill in for injury, and/or for cold-and-flu season.

Yeah- you're right- the seventh Defenceman is sine qua non- so I'd better get mine.

I will select the points/assists leader among Blue-Liners in the Summit Series-

Yury Lyapkin D

He's interesting and uncommon among rear-guards... primarily an LD who is also a RHS:

Have a look-

Yury Lyapkin1965-1966: LD (RD: [redacted])
1966-1967: mostly LD (RD: [redacted], but frequent line shifting and side changing by Khimik coach [undrafted])
1967-1968: LD...
1968-1969: LD...
1969-1970: LD...
1970-1971: LD...
1971-1972: LD...
1972-1973: LD...
1973-1974: LD...
1974-1975: LD...
1975-1976: LD...
1976-1977: LD...
1977-1978: LD...
1978-1979: LD...

PM sent to @Professor What

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm going to change my fourth line makeup a bit with a guy that primarily played center, but was also capable of playing on the wing. He'll be the right wing on that fourth line, but he'll take draws for a third PK unit. The Gallifrey TARDIS welcomes Pit Martin!

pit-martin-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-skates-against-the-washington-picture-id1253182289

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad