ATD 2011 Draft Thread XI - The Aftermath

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
So, on a more draft related note, 70s challenged me via e-mail to figure where among 70s dmen Liapkin would place. I went ahead and looked at the draft list to figure this out, and this was the result:

1. Cognition - San Jose Sharks - Bobby Orr, D
10. Mr Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters - Denis Potvin, D
22. DoMakc - Detroit Red Wings - Viacheslav Fetisov, D (5 seasons)
23. markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks - Larry Robinson, D
35. Stoneberg - Halifax Mooseheads - Brad Park, D
63. MadArcand - Hartford Whalers - Borje Salming, D
66. BraveCanadian - Guelph Platers – Guy Lapointe, D
69. Reds4Life & Johnny D - Chicago Steelers - Serge Savard, D
82. Reds4Life & Johnny D - Chicago Steelers - Valeri Vasiliev, D
100. Rick Middleton & Sturminator - Gwinnett Gladiators - Jacques Laperriere, D (5 seasons)
105. hungryhungryhippy - Vancouver Maroons - Jean-Claude Tremblay, D
153. Nighthawks - New Haven Nighthawks - Alexei Kasatonov, D
156. Dwight - Battle Creek Battallion - Jan Suchy, D
164. BiLLY_ShOE1721 - Philadelphia Firebirds - Harry Howell, D (end of career, 2 WHA seasons)
179. arrbez & vecens24 - Inglewood Jacks - Alexander Ragulin, D

The criteria was at least 6 seasons in the 70s, so Laperriere and Fetisov might get 0.5 points. That would put 9% of the top-100 players as 70s dmen. If you split the players by forwards and defensemen, this should by far be the highest percentage showing by era of any single position. It dies down a bit going further, but the competition at the top in the 70s seemed to be incredibly high!

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
While you guys are fighting about....that....figured I'd throw down I finally got a chance to vote, and the Northey Divison (The one with TDMM and Eagle) is STACKED I think..

Derick*

Absolutely! I figured Seventies had a bunch of accounts, then he invented a wife and kid to lead us off his trail.

He has a child?

What third line winger from the 30s is the child named after?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He has a child?

What third line winger from the 30s is the child named after?

You're not from around here, are you? :laugh:

early in the draft I think it was established that Sturm and I are the only ones married and with kids. Although there are a couple others with kids and a couple others married.

and it's a 2nd line winger from the 30s, actually. Gottselig is her name.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You're not from around here, are you? :laugh:

early in the draft I think it was established that Sturm and I are the only ones married and with kids. Although there are a couple others with kids and a couple others married.

I do have a girlfriend and a dog :biglaugh:

( both are new in my life though )

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great post overpass, totally agree.

:laugh::laugh:

*phew*

I thought you meant that ex-GMs who are no longer here, like GBC, pappyline, BM67, etc, had abandoned the draft and taken its integrity along with them, leaving us with a gong show. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.

nah. Using the word "tarnished" I guess made little sense in that context. I miss those guys (or that guy?) for sure in this, as I'm sure many of us do, but they aren't the "integrity" of the ATD. Them plus another 20 GM's? More so.

Think of it in real life terms: If one owner of an NHL team was found to actually have under the table deals with 3 other NHL teams, and thus have a vested interest in those teams, or worse, having a say in how trades went for that team, he could quite easily create trades that, on the surface, don't look like they are colluded trades, but are a very clear win for the team he actually owns. This owner is found out later. Not only is the NHL now the laughingstock of the entire world, but the integrity of the NHL itself is shot to hell and back, and EVERYTHING this owner has ever had his hands involved with in the NHL is now questioned as legit. This is something the NHL would *never* fully recover from. Obviously, the situations are not really comparable here, but the principal is still the same, and *because* VI has had such a large hand in getting the ATD to where it is today, it makes this all the more worse.

And don't fool yourself.. he made those fake accounts to reach his own goals for the draft.. his goals, that only he cared about, and they ended up affecting the entire draft. Think about it. All the players that ZM/Sabre/etc. drafted, those players may have went to other GMs that were looking at those players. Even though VI's teams didn't go very far, his actions have had much further reaching effects than everyone is suggesting here - the playoffs of every ATD that VI has been involved with with proxy teams are now compromised, and all could have gone entirely different. We will never know now.

I suppose. I know you're exaggerating to get the point across, but the impact that a move like that would have in the NHL is very different then this situation, where I don't see how the butterfly effect would have changed much. Besides, Gary Bettman is a Pens/Phoenix fan while Campbell is an idiot/has his son on the Bruins, so maybe the ATD is taking a step towards becoming like the NHL. (jokes)

I'd like to liken this entire situation to an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad