At time of draft - who would be drafted first? Eichel/Matthews/Mack/Dahlin/Lafreniere?

At time of draft - who would be drafted first? Eichel/Matthews/Mack/Dahlin/Lafreniere? No Hindsight

• Total voters

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Dahlin is easily the top choice based on the pre-draft history in this order.

Dahlin (possible franchise DMan)
Eichel (actually picked 2nd)
Matthews (Size & Shot in Euro Mens League)
Lafreniere (won every award since Crosby)
Mackinnon (doubts until Memorial Cup)

Redraft with their NHL performance:

Mackinnon (only McDavid/Crosby is better)
Eichel (right behind Mackinnon)
Dahlin (Sophomore slump)
Matthews (Injury Prone ahead for being a 1C)
Lafreniere (Dominant Winger)

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Mackinnon (doubts until Memorial Cup)/QUOTE]
I agree with this although I do think Dahlin's position gave off a bit more uncertainty at the time of the draft. Forwards just have a higher success rate for translating pre-draft hype to actual results. It's just rare to see a D-man taken at #1. I think it's possible to argue Eichel/Matthews up with him, although have no problems with him at #1.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Dahlin (Sophomore slump)
Eichel has missed more games in his career due to injury than Matthews has but yeah ones right behind MacKinnon and the other is injury prone.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Dahlin (Sophomore slump)

If Matthews is injury prone, so is Eichel. Through the first 4 seasons, they've played 282 and 286 games respectively.

Not once in 5 seasons has Jack played a full 82 game season.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Eichel has missed more games in his career due to injury than Matthews has but yeah ones right behind MacKinnon and the other is injury prone.

If Matthews is injury prone, so is Eichel. Through the first 4 seasons, they've played 282 and 286 games respectively.

Not once in 5 seasons has Jack played a full 82 game season.
Still calling Matthews "injury prone" today shows how some people don't bother to realize how someone like Eichel has been injured more often. In Eichel's second year he played only 61 games and in his third year he only played 67 games.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Dahlin (Sophomore slump)
hwBz-nn7msjyxar17QdkuOnR4TIMiASOtkh8JE6P2-oYKSUqyPLgM1AZL3OsLxMCaOjiLXhs3ATsUmihH9nFeFnDhjr2-cv1JRc3JMBS9a2E5Zhw49Z6-UrKOJgvliUHzMBZl2dr1WUQQwodw_32vJptBXeBXZrjJmA

Matthews has missed 34 games over 4 seasons, for an average of 8.5 games a season.

Eichel has missed 43 games over 5 seasons, for an average of 8.6 games a season.

And even though he isnt in the poll, Connor Mcdavid has missed 48 games over 5 seasons, for an average of 9.6 games a year. Is Connor Mcdavid considered injury prone?

I fail to comprehend how Matthews is considered injury prone.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
hwBz-nn7msjyxar17QdkuOnR4TIMiASOtkh8JE6P2-oYKSUqyPLgM1AZL3OsLxMCaOjiLXhs3ATsUmihH9nFeFnDhjr2-cv1JRc3JMBS9a2E5Zhw49Z6-UrKOJgvliUHzMBZl2dr1WUQQwodw_32vJptBXeBXZrjJmA

Matthews has missed 34 games over 4 seasons, for an average of 8.5 games a season.

Eichel has missed 43 games over 5 seasons, for an average of 8.6 games a season.

And even though he isnt in the poll, Connor Mcdavid has missed 48 games over 5 seasons, for an average of 9.6 games a year. Is Connor Mcdavid considered injury prone?

I fail to comprehend how Matthews is considered injury prone.
Nathan MacKinnon has been injured more as well. In 2014-15 he played 64 games, 2015-16 he played 72 games, and in 2017-18 he played in 74 games.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Nathan MacKinnon has been injured more as well. In 2014-15 he played 64 games, 2015-16 he played 72 games, and in 2017-18 he played in 74 games.
He also has 3 full seasons over 7 years. He has missed 37 games over 7 seasons, for an average of 5.3 games a year. So he hasnt missed as much as the others.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not based on Hype but on who i would take,

Dahlin
MacKinnon
Eichel-Matthews
Lafreniere

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Dahlin (Sophomore slump)
I'm kind of surprised you weren't able to think of a way to rank Matthews last in a redraft. It seems like you really tried though by claiming his only advantage over Laf is his position

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Matthews had the 2nd best P/GP (>11 GP) that season in a professional league, as an 18 year old. Against men. The best U20 season by anybody in that league ever. Produced similar to what NHL superstars had done in their prime during lockouts. That's pretty special.

I don’t put much stock in some Nhler bumping off rust and playing casually during the lockout. The greatest U20 season ever who’s the competition of prospect he’s beating out? List a name of high end prospect that came out of the Swiss league?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don’t put much stock in some Nhler bumping off rust and playing casually during the lockout. The greatest U20 season ever who’s the competition of prospect he’s beating out?
It's not like the NCAA has been a super popular route either for top-end prospects. Most prospects can't handle a professional league at that age. Matthews beat out Eichel every step of the way, and his draft year was equally impressive, and displayed an ability to excel against men. Your claim of super competitive NHL superstars not trying is laughable.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm kind of surprised you weren't able to think of a way to rank Matthews last in a redraft. It seems like you really tried though by claiming his only advantage over Laf is his position

Matthews can only win a poll for the most bloated contract.

HF has a poll Matthews against Eichel and it wasn’t close. I believe 75% would choose Eichel.

I wouldn’t accept 1 for 1 for Laf with that hideous contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad