At time of draft - who would be drafted first? Eichel/Matthews/Mack/Dahlin/Lafreniere?

At time of draft - who would be drafted first? Eichel/Matthews/Mack/Dahlin/Lafreniere? No Hindsight

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Imagine all 5 players were eligible for draft in the same year. No hindsight available. We're talking strictly about hype and expectations at time of draft.

Who do you think would be drafted #1?

Try to also rank them, 1 to 5.

This is meant to be in a vacuum, not for a specific team in a specific year, but you can comment on that aspect as well if you like.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Personally, I'd go like this:

Dahlin
Matthews
Eichel
Lafreniere
MacKinnon

The 2 I hesitate most on are Eichel/Matthews, who I feel could be flipped. It's crazy close though.

Reactions: eli4spetterss0n

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mackinnon
Matthews
Dahlin
Eichel
Lafreniere

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why is Eichel in here? He's not a 1st pick and never would be, with these guys as his competition.

He's not a first overall but why wouldn't he be picked? As a prospect he definitely belongs in this group imo. How would you rank them 1 to 5?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He's not a first overall but why wouldn't he be picked? As a prospect he definitely belongs in this group imo. How would you rank them 1 to 5?

How I would rank them as "who's best" and "who had the draft hype" are obviously different.

Who's best NOW
McKinnon
Matthews
Dahlin
Eichel
Lafreniere

Who had the DRAFT HYPE
Matthews
Dahlin
McKinnon
Eichel
Lafreniere

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Eichel won the Hobey Baker during his draft year he had an absurd amount of hype coming in. That said Dahlin undoubtedly had the most hype and was even touted as a generational defender unlike the other who were more hyped as Franchise players. So I’d have to go with Dahlin

1.)Dahlin
2.) Eichel
3.)Matthews
4.)Mack
5.) Laf

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There's years of evidence demonstrating that C>D>W in terms of perceived draft value. One of the centers would go first no question.

MacKinnon/Eichel/Matthews
Dahlin
Lafreniere

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This is about draft time projections and expectations. Not sure how anybody could put Mackinnon at the top.
MacKinnon wasn't even the consensus #1 pick. Really any of the top 4 could have gone #1 that season (although he's obviously proven Colorado right).

But unlike say 2011 where RNH was the #1 pick but not a particularly sexy prospect, generally the top 4 in 2013 were all considered *really* good, so not being the consensus pick wasn't like a knock against him - just a really strong top of the draft that year.

Reactions: Voight

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin
Eichel/Matthews
MacKinnon/Lafreniere

Dahlin was considered a clear 1OA, generational defensive prospect type of player. I think he'd clearly go 1OA without much contest.

Matthews might have a better reputation on this website because his fanbase is more aggressive than Eichel's, but they were considered very similar level prospects. The only difference is that Eichel was in the same draft as the best recent draft-eligible prospect, so he went second. There's a minimal difference between Eichel/Matthews, regardless of which one you preferred.

MacKinnon wasn't that highly rated at the draft. He was still good enough to go 1OA, but he wasn't considered on the tier with the most recent best draft prospects. He elevated his stock once he got into the NHL. Lafreniere doesn't stack up with these other top draft prospects either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How I would rank them as "who's best" and "who had the draft hype" are obviously different.

Who's best NOW
McKinnon
Matthews
Dahlin
Eichel
Lafreniere

Who had the DRAFT HYPE
Matthews
Dahlin
McKinnon
Eichel
Lafreniere

You've changed your mind. You started off saying he couldn't be grouped with this group of players, and now you are saying he's better than Lafreniere.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see a lot of people in this thread are ignoring the question of who would be drafted first at the draft. It's not your own personal list of which players you like the most.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You've changed your mind. You started off saying he couldn't be grouped with this group of players, and now you are saying he's better than Lafreniere.

LOL. Lafremiere is not even in the league, and may never even play a game in the league. Therefore he is LAST on both lists.

So no, I didn't "change my mind" at all.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I see it as:
Dahlin
Eichel
Matthews
Laf/Mack

Eichel was really highly regarded and in any other draft would have got way more hype except that he was overshadowed by McDavid.
Dahlin was easily the most highly regarded though of this group and had the high end Franchise D label.

Reactions: Lebowski

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LOL. Lafremiere is not even in the league, and may never even play a game in the league. Therefore he is LAST on both lists.

So no, I didn't "change my mind" at all.

You don't seem to understand what the question is asking, if thats your response.

Also, it's a rubbish response because you included a pre-draft list and had Eichel ahead of Lafreiere. Which is it? Does he not belong in a grouping with all these players or does he?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You don't seem to understand what the question is asking, if thats your response.

Also, it's a rubbish response because you included a pre-draft list and had Eichel ahead of Lafreiere. Which is it? Does he not belong in a grouping with all these players or does he?

Uh no, again.

The poll asks who would be drafted FIRST, based on hype, etc.

Lafreniere comes in last.

I also showed who I think is simply "best".

Lafreniere comes in last.

It's pretty simple?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
There's years of evidence demonstrating that C>D>W in terms of perceived draft value. One of the centers would go first no question.

MacKinnon/Eichel/Matthews
Dahlin
Lafreniere
There is years of evidence of that?!?!?!

Centres generally get drafted higher. Youre assuming thats because theyre valued higher. Thats not necessarily true. Its just not as easy for a dman to clearly set themselves apart, especially at that age. Its harder to predict how well their games will translate to the NHL. Junior teams also often have their best players playing centre regardless of where they end up in the pros.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt Dahlin would be picked ahead of Matthews.
Matthews is the clear 1 here. He had a phenomenal year playing in the Swiss against me.
Dahlin goes at 2. (Yes, he’s not deserving of that now, obviously, but no hindsight)
Eichel at 3. He was great then, and is still.
Mac is at 4, because he’s a centre.
Lafreniere is 5. Winger, and he’s a man amongst boys right now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There is years of evidence of that?!?!?!

Centres generally get drafted higher. Youre assuming thats because theyre valued higher. Thats not necessarily true. Its just not as easy for a dman to clearly set themselves apart, especially at that age. Its harder to predict how well their games will translate to the NHL. Junior teams also often have their best players playing centre regardless of where they end up in the pros.
Centres and D have more value than wingers. I’m not sold on Lafreniere improving a lot. Like Dahlin, he’s already a man, so could be a guy who is a very good player, but gets passed by several of his draft class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad