At this point, who is the favorite for the Golden Ball?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Mbappe has had one truly good game, although it might be the performance of the tournament thus far.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
For Sweden its certainly not Forsberg. It would be Granqvist and then Nilsson Lindelöf/Robin Olsen before Forsberg.

Granqvist is going to take Sweden to the final at least.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think people are slightly overrating Mbappe's performance in this tourney based on his assault on Argentina. He's been good but I think there are a couple of guys who have been clearly better.

Also it took way too long for someone to mention Coutinho. He's been the best for me.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think people are slightly overrating Mbappe's performance in this tourney based on his assault on Argentina. He's been good but I think there are a couple of guys who have been clearly better.

Also it took way too long for someone to mention Coutinho. He's been the best for me.

Oooh, I ain't swimmin' in that Mbappe' pool.

Coutinho's been one of the best, not sure the best. That said I'm not sure there's a conclusive answer just yet. Anyway, can you imagine if they'd waited until after the WC to buy him?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Coutinho has easily been Brazil's best player in the tournament so far although he had a mediocre game against Mexico. But he should definitely be ahead of Neymar in any discussions as of this moment.

Mbappé was fantastic against Argentina but ho-hum for the rest. France's best player in the tournament has been Kanté and it's not even close.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
For Sweden its certainly not Forsberg. It would be Granqvist and then Nilsson Lindelöf/Robin Olsen before Forsberg.

Granqvist is going to take Sweden to the final at least.

I agree with the first part of your post. Especially on Granqvist. He’s been monumental. I actually think Forsberg has been somewhat wasteful. I’m not sure I agree with the second part of your post.

Reactions: Casanova

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It's been Modric so far, and if Croatia beat Russia then he'll get it, I think - however, the missed penalty against Denmark makes that harder.

Kanté's been better than Mbappé IMO, but voters will pick Mbappé over Kanté if they go for a Frenchman. I think they'll just give Kylian Young Player, however.

Kane hasn't been England's best player, but he'd obviously be a sexier pick than Trippier.

Granqvist for Sweden is low-key a no-brainer.

If Cavani can come back, him for Uruguay.

Golovin for Russia.

Should be Coutinho over Neymar, but won't be if they go deep.

Hazard for Belgium pretty easily, I think.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In what way, or world, has Coutinho been Brazil's best player?

Neymar's theatrics, and the tired coverage of them, has really distracted from the fact that he has probably easily been the best player at the WC. He's created the most chances, had the most dribbles (actually Isco and Messi had more), been fouled by far more than any other player, and he was decisive for them against Mexico. This is all while other players on his team are afforded even more space because of how much attention he draws, and how other teams gameplan against him.

For many he's not likeable, but that's beside the point.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Neymar won't get it because he's out but honestly he deserves it. Diving was bad but he's the best in this tournament

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Neymar best at what exactly? He is a bit like Moussa Dembele. Insanely talented, but not nearly as effective as his skill level suggests. Neymar has been good, but the best? Arrogant of me to say of course, but if he wasn’t called Neymar no-one would have thought so.

Unfortunate for Brazil that Neymar is so hyped. Would have been much better for the team if he played like Costa - set him up one on one and ask him to get passed his man. In such situations no-one is better than Neymar these days (not even Messi), but ask him to be a playmaker and it all falls apart a bit (still good of course).

For a comparable player Hazard has been in my opinion better than Neymar. He is almost as skilled, but far more effective in style.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Unfortunate for Brazil that Neymar is so hyped. Would have been much better for the team if he played like Costa - set him up one on one and ask him to get passed his man. In such situations no-one is better than Neymar these days (not even Messi), but ask him to be a playmaker and it all falls apart a bit (still good of course).

Funnily enough, I think there's a degree to which Neymar has hung on to the ball too much for the good of himself and his own team. But based on the games I've seen- which excludes Mexico, I must point out- he's occupied the inside forward-type positions unsuccessfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad