At this point, who is the favorite for the Golden Ball?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
One ofoKane, Hazard, Kante or Modric. Not sure, depends on how far each get.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Same for me, Hazard, Modric, Kane and Kante. Hard to see anybody else from the first three countries, but if somebody from France makes a massive offensive contribution in the semis, he might edge out Kante.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe, Kante ant Pogba are possible winners for France. Griez if he wakes up for the last two games.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kane got to play ridiculously well in the last 2 to win. Been OK, but nothing close to deserving this award (he might of course end up top scorer).

For Modric to lose now in my opinion. Realistically only see Hazard taking it from him. Kante has been great, but those kind of players rarely win these kind of awards (or never).

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Kane got to play ridiculously well in the last 2 to win. Been OK, but nothing close to deserving this award (he might of course end up top scorer).

For Modric to lose now in my opinion. Realistically only see Hazard taking it from him. Kante has been great, but those kind of players rarely win these kind of awards (or never).

Ya Modric or Hazard right now

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Modric will win this.
As he should mind you I don't think he's head and shoulders above everyone but he's the biggest reason why his team is in the final. That and subasic pk heroics. It has to go to someone playing in the final and France do not have a standout save for maybe Kante but they have been a strong unit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Varane, Kante and Mbappe are all candidates. Heck, Lloris too.
And if Griez scores a brace or hattrick, he's back to being a candidate.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
As he should mind you I don't think he's head and shoulders above everyone but he's the biggest reason why his team is in the final. That and subasic pk heroics. It has to go to someone playing in the final and France do not have a standout save for maybe Kante but they have been a strong unit.
Kante is definetly the most deserving one of the French players, but sadly for him he doesn't have the narrative behind him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He should and he will.
Disagree.
Modric wasn't better than Kante or Varane in this WC and if he loses, there's absolutely no argument for him winning it, besides being the bigger name.
His team didn't exactly dominate the competition either (3 straight ET) with Modric delivering goal or assist left and right. His team is in the final because of team play, not him playing super-hero.

He's no more deserving than many french players, and he's in fact not more deserving than some of his teammates (Subasic comes to mind).

Of course, if he wins the final, then him or Subasic, or someone dominating the final. No argument there.
If he loses? There's no way he SHOULD win it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Disagree.
Modric wasn't better than Kante or Varane in this WC and if he loses, there's absolutely no argument for him winning it, besides being the bigger name.
His team didn't exactly dominate the competition either (3 straight ET) with Modric delivering goal or assist left and right. His team is in the final because of team play, not him playing super-hero.

He's no more deserving than many french players, and he's in fact not more deserving than some of his teammates (Subasic comes to mind).

Of course, if he wins the final, then him or Subasic, or someone dominating the final. No argument there.
If he loses? There's no way he SHOULD win it.
Well I beleive the GB should be given to the best player in the WC, not the best player on the winning team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, what made Modric any better than Kante or Varane or Lloris?
Nothing.

In fact, I think Subasic has had a better WC than Modric.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
These prizes are always as much about narrative as anything else. Gotta figure Modric is in the lead right now, but lots of room for other players to make their case tonight

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well, what made Modric any better than Kante or Varane or Lloris?
Nothing.

In fact, I think Subasic has had a better WC than Modric.
It's your prerogative to think that, just as it mine to disagree with it. Luka has dominated the midfield in all but one game where Denmark basically neutralized the midfield by punting the ball to Poulsen at all times.

Reactions: All Might

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's your prerogative to think that, just as it mine to disagree with it. Luka has dominated the midfield in all but one game where Denmark basically neutralized the midfield by punting the ball to Poulsen at all times.
And Kante dominated the midfield in every game of this tournament.
And Varane dominated defense throughout the tournament.
And Lloris and Subasic made superhuman saves that got their team to the final.

All of these are worthy candidates and Modric hasn't impressed more than them.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Come on Evilo. Modric has been the boss of an overachieving team and been clearly the MVP of the tournament. Can't believe you are arguing that Lloris should get it over him.

If Kante wins it that would at least be somewhat OK, but aside from him...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Kante has been the best player at this World Cup, followed by Hazard. Modric has had the best moments and will win if Croatia does.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Come on Evilo. Modric has been the boss of an overachieving team and been clearly the MVP of the tournament. Can't believe you are arguing that Lloris should get it over him.

If Kante wins it that would at least be somewhat OK, but aside from him...
I'm arguing that Modric doesn't deserve anymore than the guys I listed and thus the final should decide who gets it.
Don't know what's hard to understand :dunno:
Lloris had a totally dominant WC, can't believe you'd argue the contrary. :facepalm:

Croatia overachieved? How so? They beat (barely) inferior teams all the way to the final.
Croatia narroly escaped a disappointment (being beaten by an inferior team) and thanks to their team play and Subasic more than anything Modric has done.

Modric or Subasic if Croatia wins (give it to the player who was more key to winning that final).
Kante, Varane, Lloris and an outside shot for Mbappe and Griez depending as well on who dominates the final.

Seems totally fair.
Saying Modric should win if Croatia loses seems totally offbase to me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who votes on it? Not saying it’s deserved but if it’s the media Pogba definitely has a chance. They’ve been hyping him up like a god. He’s been fantastic but I don’t think he should be the favorite to win.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pogba has had a great WC, but I think the other french players I noted have a better chance.

In 2006, the best player was easily Zidane. Second was probably Vieira. They didn't win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad