At this point (July 2014), are we a better team than October 2013?

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Vanek was a rental and he didn't scintillate in the playoffs. He was surpassed by Bourque, of all people. His salary of $6.5M from the Wild would have been a big problem with Subban still to be signed. Allowing Gionta and Gorges to leave also creates breathing room.

The team needs to find scoring from somewhere.we re just not good enough yet 5 on 5.if price is anything less than stellar , making the playoffs will be a challenge.now we ve taken a hit on defense with the loss of gorges.this team is the same as last year.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
come on now, you really think guys like Murray, Vanek and Parros had any kind of leadership ? a goon, a rental and a part time player who wasnt used in the PO...

you put way too much effort into finding reasons to believe we're no better...

and stop adding Vanek n your list, it's pretty clear for anyone who can read, comparing beginning of last season to right now... Vanek wasnt a Habs at the beginning of last season.

I already stated that I'm comparing the team that lost to the Rangers to the team we now have. If you want to compare this team to the team from last October or from 5 years ago go ahead. I think it's stupid. You do what you want, I'll do what I want...

Yes, I absolutely think veterans like Parros, Vanek, and Murray were helpful to our young players. Whether in the room or on the ice. Go watch 24CH reruns...

And again, since you were out to lunch on my post, I think whether we're better will depend on the young kids: can they fill the leadership/lack of veterans void and can one or more of them pick up the offense.

Vanek didn't have a good post season, but he was still tied for 2nd in goals and 1 point away from being tied for 2nd among forwards in points. And at the end of the season he gave us a true 1st line, allowing Gallagher to go to the 2nd line and Gionta to the 3rd, where they belong. He was instrumental in helping us get to the post season at all and playing well. I don't consider PA Parenteau an upgrade.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Assuming Cakes develop along expected line and convert well to the NHL, I personally think we might be better than during the playoffs. If only because we are trying much less to fit squares into round holes.

R/L Ds are are settled. Everybody plays on his side. No more Bouillon or Gorges on the Power Play.
- We have a 2nd RW. It's not making up for the loss of Vanek, but I'll take it.

If Cakes develops well, our team might just be more.. natural overall, if you see what I mean.

I don't mean to be a Butt.

But that is a really s****y nickname.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
sekac will be like the second coming of A.K. except not as bad to the bone. Which could be a good thing.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
sekac will be like the second coming of A.K. except not as bad to the bone. Which could be a good thing.

If he has half of the talent but twice the brain and three times more spine than AK, then it is the deal of the century.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I don't believe in linear progression, so we'll see. A lot hinges on finding scoring depth because the rest is pretty much a wash at this point.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I already stated that I'm comparing the team that lost to the Rangers to the team we now have. If you want to compare this team to the team from last October or from 5 years ago go ahead. I think it's stupid. You do what you want, I'll do what I want...

Yes, I absolutely think veterans like Parros, Vanek, and Murray were helpful to our young players. Whether in the room or on the ice. Go watch 24CH reruns...

And again, since you were out to lunch on my post, I think whether we're better will depend on the young kids: can they fill the leadership/lack of veterans void and can one or more of them pick up the offense.

Vanek didn't have a good post season, but he was still tied for 2nd in goals and 1 point away from being tied for 2nd among forwards in points. And at the end of the season he gave us a true 1st line, allowing Gallagher to go to the 2nd line and Gionta to the 3rd, where they belong. He was instrumental in helping us get to the post season at all and playing well. I don't consider PA Parenteau an upgrade.

We couldn't have started the previous season with Vanek in our lineup due to cap constraints. We accumulated cap space all year, in a manner that allowed us to acquire a 7M guy at the deadline plus Weaver. So it's a bit unrealistic to compare the playoffs lineup to this one. Perhaps you should compare the deadline lineup of 2013 to the deadline lineup of 2014.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
We couldn't have started the previous season with Vanek in our lineup due to cap constraints. We accumulated cap space all year, in a manner that allowed us to acquire a 7M guy at the deadline plus Weaver. So it's a bit unrealistic to compare the playoffs lineup to this one. Perhaps you should compare the deadline lineup of 2013 to the deadline lineup of 2014.
This is the reason why MB was sending players back to AHL.
Unless he hires someone else, he has more cap this season.

So he may even be able to get TWO players at trade deadline.
But we can not give up Collberg's every year.

In the mean time, vote:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1701657 - Voting station

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

well, since that's what the thread is about... you know...

Yeah I'm out, no youngster will be able to deal with the tremendous leadership lost now that Murray, Parros and Vanek are gone :laugh:

exactly, that's why Gallagher had to be put back with Patches and DD, cause Vanek was doing so well! :nod:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think we probably are a better club overall. Briere, Parros, Murray, Bouillion, Gionta vs. PAP, Tinordi, Weaver, Sekac, Beaulieu...

Most in the first group are addition by subtraction. I think our D will be vastly improved and the only forward we might miss is Gionta. So yeah, I think we're better.

Still wish we had a better coach though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think we probably are a better club overall. Briere, Parros, Murray, Bouillion, Gionta vs. PAP, Tinordi, Weaver, Sekac, Beaulieu...

Most in the first group are addition by subtraction. I think our D will be vastly improved and the only forward we might miss is Gionta. So yeah, I think we're better.

A team with Moen as 13th or 14th forward and not seeing the need to qualify Ryan White is a fairly good and deep team. They lack superstar scorers, though Pacioretty is a star scorer, but they have a superstar goalie and a superstar defenceman. If Galchenyuk can raise his game to the next level at 20 or even 21 years old, the Habs are going to be a real tough team to beat very soon.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

The changes since October 2013

Budaj - Tokarski/MacDonald (I assume)
Bouillon - Weaver
Murray - Tinordi
Diaz - Beaulieu
Gorges - Gilbert
Parros - Weise
Gionta - Parenteau
Briere - Bournival
White - Malhotra
Leblanc - Sekac

With the possible exception of Gorges and perhaps Briere..upgrades in every circumstance.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The changes since October 2013

Budaj - Tokarski/MacDonald (I assume)
Bouillon - Weaver
Murray - Tinordi
Diaz - Beaulieu
Gorges - Gilbert
Parros - Weise
Gionta - Parenteau
Briere - Bournival
White - Malhotra
Leblanc - Sekac

With the possible exception of Gorges and perhaps Briere..upgrades in every circumstance.

bolded 3 are the only ones that I'd view as definitive upgrades... all the rest remain to be seen.

for as average or worse that Diaz/Murray were, at this point it's a stretch to call Tinordi/Beaulieu upgrades... I suspect they'll quickly prove themselves to be, but then again MT has a knack for creating a challenging environment for young players (short leash, disproportionate punishments for mistakes, inconsistent messaging).

as much as parenteau should be an offensive upgrade over Gionta, ppl seem to vastly underrate how much gionta contributed defensively whereas Parenteau is notoriously deficient in that regard... toss up at this point imo.

bournival - briere another toss up... as much as I love bournival's game, he provides nothing offensively whereas Briere was actually a solid contributor in that area. another toss up in terms of impact.

Leblanc-Sekac... another MT special... do you really see MT giving Sekac the kind of flexibility/support a 22-year old making the transition to smaller ice/NHL game?

lateral moves for the most part, injuries, coaching & young players building confidence/progressing will be the biggest factors...

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
bolded 3 are the only ones that I'd view as definitive upgrades... all the rest remain to be seen.

for as average or worse that Diaz/Murray were, at this point it's a stretch to call Tinordi/Beaulieu upgrades... I suspect they'll quickly prove themselves to be, but then again MT has a knack for creating a challenging environment for young players (short leash, disproportionate punishments for mistakes, inconsistent messaging).

as much as parenteau should be an offensive upgrade over Gionta, ppl seem to vastly underrate how much gionta contributed defensively whereas Parenteau is notoriously deficient in that regard... toss up at this point imo.

bournival - briere another toss up... as much as I love bournival's game, he provides nothing offensively whereas Briere was actually a solid contributor in that area. another toss up in terms of impact.

Leblanc-Sekac... another MT special... do you really see MT giving Sekac the kind of flexibility/support a 22-year old making the transition to smaller ice/NHL game?

lateral moves for the most part, injuries, coaching & young players building confidence/progressing will be the biggest factors...

Lateral moves? Surely you jest.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Briere scored a few big goals in playoffs, ie. Bruins Game 7, assisted on Weiss' opening goal and made it 3-1 dying minutes of third period. But his skills were eroding, by next spring this time he will be less than he was this year. That's only time he helped us, by next year how much can he give us? At 4 million caphit its too much to carry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad