At this point (July 2014), are we a better team than October 2013?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yes.

We've got the same core and much better puck movement. Galchenyuk and Beaulieu will be huge improvements on last year.

We lost Gorges, but we've also lost Murray and Bouillon. Our defense can skate, move the puck, and isn't a huge difference.

Pleks will have a decent year if he's not married to Gionta.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Indeed we do.

We need to add one more RW player and we are set.

I feel like we can contend however I will not be disappointed if we have a little slump since there is a transition going on.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
BTW, we could also answer to this question when we compare our team to other teams in the EC.
Like Boston, NYR, Pens, TBL, CLB, PHL, DET, WAS.

Of course, we can not compare to Kings, St-Louis, Col, Dallas, SJS and Min.
West was better than East and top teams in the West have improved significantly, much more than teams in the East...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd say we're better than Oct 2013 but noticeably worse than post deadline/playoffs 2014.

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
We're in a great situation cap-wise, there is flexibility for sure. Love some of the moves made. Parenteau > Briere. Sekac could be a great (cheap) pickup. Now lockup Subby and Eller and we'll be in even better shape.

There aren't any free agents I really like (Dany Heatley? haha) so I'd maybe look at a trade or rolling with a competition in camp. IMO Eller or Plekanec could/should be flipped for a winger.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
it's not su much the talent that makes this team better than the one we had at the start of last season, it's the structure put in place that makes us (slightly) better now, but MUCH better in the future...

- no more 4th line C at 4Mil, 850K just like top teams have
- 4th, 5th and 6th D makes less (Gilbert at 2.8 instead of Gorges at 3.9), wich is also the case on top teams
- we got bigger (not more physical though), wich is what we see in top teams
- we now have 3 C who are at worst decent defensively, like top teams have
- we didnt sign the new guys long term, preventing us from a fiasco ala Ehrhoff or Richards
- by trading Gorges and letting Gionta go, the younger guys that we developped are offcially the core, meaning that winning or losing goes trough them, wich in turn means we wont need to spend ridiculous amounts on UFA or make crazy trades
- we made room for a young D by not re-signing Cube/Murray
- we also have room for a youngster upfront while we could still manage if no youngsters make it.

all in all, I wouldnt say we built a contender for next season, but the way MB played with the structure, everything is in place for the Habs to be very good for a while...

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Exactly my thought. Losing Vanek hurts.
I posted the poll to exclude Vanek.
We can get another Vanek at trade deadline 2015.

More important, we tried Vanek before bidding for him. Before having him in PO, we could have bid for him...

But Vanek would have been great.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
it's not su much the talent that makes this team better than the one we had at the start of last season, it's the structure put in place that makes us (slightly) better now, but MUCH better in the future...

- 4th, 5th and 6th D makes less (Gilbert at 2.8 instead of Gorges at 3.9), wich is also the case on top teams
- we didnt sign the new guys long term, preventing us from a fiasco ala Ehrhoff or Richards
- by trading Gorges and letting Gionta go, the younger guys that we developped are offcially the core, meaning that winning or losing goes trough them, wich in turn means we wont need to spend ridiculous amounts on UFA or make crazy trades
- we also have room for a youngster upfront while we could still manage if no youngsters make it.

all in all, I wouldnt say we built a contender for next season, but the way MB played with the structure, everything is in place for the Habs to be very good for a while...
I agree with everything but I would add a caveat:
We built a contender in the East for next season...

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Absolutely. The question is if we're better than April Habs. All depends on the steps forward Galchenyuk take. If Eller plays with more confidence or is giving more ice time/stable linemates. If Parenteau stays healthy. If Bourque ups the amount of games he tries to 15 from 5. List goes on and on. I'm optimistic about the team on July 3rd. Don't think I had the same feeling last year. I guess our moves this year are a thousand times better than signing Briere and Murray. Also re-signing Bouillon and Drewiske.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with everything but I would add a caveat:
We built a contender in the East for next season...

we'll see, we know what the guys we already have can bring, now let's see if the new comers are up to the task ;)

we have a chance though as the good teams didnt improve
- BOS lost players, didnt replace them
- NYR lost Stralam who was part of their top 4D and a few others, didnt replace anyone
- Flyers didnt move
- Pens lost offense (Neil trade), lost Niskanen as well.
- TO, well... lol
- TB acquired a few players, but not sure they improved much, B Boyle is a slow 4th liner and D Boyle isnt the same as he was 5 years ago

so yeah, "east contender" is possible I agree

highstick14*

We're pretty much the same.

However, lots of Eastern teams that were below us last year, got significantly better. Lighting, Caps, Panthers, Sabres (need a goalie), and even the Islanders, all got better, and aren't far behind the Habs.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Better than October 2013 but worse than what we had during the playoffs...

I'd try to get Yakupov out of Edmonton...if we could trade Eller + (maybe Pateryn, 2nd and a mid-prospect) for Yakupov then great...otherwise I'd trade Plekanec for Yakupov (add some picks here and there) and then try and sign Ott for 3-4 years...

Patches - Desharnais - Parenteau
Yakupov - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Ott/Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weisz/Moen/Bournival

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver/Tinordi

Price
Budaj/Tokarsky

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Our lineup as of right meow is:

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Pleks-Parenteau
Sekac/Bourny-Eller-Bourque
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gilbert
Beaulieu-Weaver

The season opener vs the Laughs last year was:

Pacioretty-DD-Briere
Bourque-Pleks-Gio
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-Prust-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Bouillon-Tinordi

Quite easily we are better then that team of last year. The first thing that jumps out at me is Plek's line which generated **** all for offence, now that shouldn't be a problem as I suspect both Parenteau and Galchenyuk will be 50+ points IMO. Now we have more depth and probably one of the best 4th lines in the game on paper. The defence also looks much improved with mobility and we will exit the zone more smoothly, no more 96 icings a game :clap: . I give a pretty big edge to the 14-15 crew and when you account for the improvements that will happen to Galchenyuk,Gallagher,Beaulieu,Bournival, and perhaps even Eller the two lineups look like night and day in a good way. I like the way this team is trending but I think our D will suffer from a lot of mental lapses with Gilbert,Emelin, and Beaulieu on D, but thankfully we have Price in net :nod: .

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Better than October 2013 but worse than what we had during the playoffs...

I'd try to get Yakupov out of Edmonton...if we could trade Eller + (maybe Pateryn, 2nd and a mid-prospect) for Yakupov then great...otherwise I'd trade Plekanec for Yakupov (add some picks here and there) and then try and sign Ott for 3-4 years...

Patches - Desharnais - Parenteau
Yakupov - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Ott/Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weisz/Moen/Bournival

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver/Tinordi

Price
Budaj/Tokarsky

5 guys on our top 6 who'll need sheltering, that looks like a recipe for success... :amazed:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Out:
Gorges
Gionta
White
Briere
Parros
Murray

In:
Weise
Pap
Mahlotra
Gilbert
Sekac

+ roster space for Beaulieu/Tinordi/Bournival to play more consistent roles

100% dependent on how much our young players improve... safe bet that Galch/Eller/Gally/Subban wiill improve, so not a bad gamble.
nevertheless, not so exciting that our veteran group has at best shifted laterally but perhaps with better "fits", at worst downgraded in talent.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Bottom 6 looks a lot better so sure why not

I don't understand this whole 'Vanek needs to be replaced' business comes from. Since when do 40 goal scorer deadline rentals 'need' to be replaced? Yes, a 40 goal scorer or two would be a pretty good addition but Vanek was aquired for the very short term.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'd say we're better than Oct 2013 but noticeably worse than post deadline/playoffs 2014.

Exactly, defense got a little better but we lost quite a bit of scoring and it looks as though we may give the youth a try. Lars Eller will get his chance in many key situations this year including the pp and lets see what he can do.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Let's see:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere vs Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta vs Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher vs Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Moen - Prust - Parros vs Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Markov - Emelin vs Markov - Subban
Bouillon - Subban vs Emelin - Gilbert
Gorges - Diaz vs Beaulieu - Weaver

Goaltending is the same...

All in all, I would say this year's team is significantly better, if we look at both rosters line per line. We certainly are younger and quicker on D.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I agree with everything you said, and in regard with the bolded part, the east is weak, we're in my estimation clearly in the mix for a SCF spot if we play to our potential. From there gotta hope that the LAK or Hawks don't make it, for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad