At this point (July 2014), are we a better team than October 2013?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We lost a lot of veterans.

Out of the regulars, we lost Gorges, Gionta and Vanek. Low minute or semi-regulars, we lost Brière, Murray and Parros.

Regular veterans added: Gilbert, Malhotra and PAP.

Don't know how much impact Brière, Murray and Parros may have had.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
The "first" line is looking good with Parenteau on DD's right side. Could lack the ability to dig pucks out of the corners.

Then you've got Eller or Plek centering the Gallys which should also be an improvement considering added experience.

But, we'll have Bourque+Sekac/Andrighetto/Bournival/DLR centered by either Plekanec or Eller on the 3rd line. That could be decent depending on the adaptation to the NHL of the youngster that will win that spot and depending on Bourque's effort level throughout the year. But, it could also be a seriously weak sauce line if Bourque continues with his RS no show act and if none of these youngsters are ready to contribute. Eller's problems last year stemmed in large part from being saddled with an invisible Bourque and with another offensively incompetent winger like Prust/Moen/etc. And I doubt Plekanec will be able to face top opposition while contributing offensively with either of these winger combinations.

The fourth line looks more solid with Malhotra than Brière too.

The defense corps on paper looks more balanced and pretty mutch better all around.

The success of our 3rd line will be critical this year.

Analyzer*

Better than October 2013 but worse than what we had during the playoffs...

I'd try to get Yakupov out of Edmonton...if we could trade Eller + (maybe Pateryn, 2nd and a mid-prospect) for Yakupov then great...otherwise I'd trade Plekanec for Yakupov (add some picks here and there) and then try and sign Ott for 3-4 years...

Patches - Desharnais - Parenteau
Yakupov - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Ott/Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weisz/Moen/Bournival

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver/Tinordi

Price
Budaj/Tokarsky

Ott sucks and so does your trade proposal.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Sekac looks very interesting, good skater, strong on his skates, good size and has a long reach. Very good passer and has a knack for the net. He is not a kid anymore and I think he is ready for nhl. Will just have to wait and see at training camp.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
I'd say we're better than Oct 2013 but noticeably worse than post deadline/playoffs 2014.

Disagree seeing we have our young core getting older, more experienced, gaining confidence, and given a bigger role. their potential is greater than that of the seasoned guys that were traded away. There will be an adjustment period, but by next year playoffs we should be in good shape.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Out of the regulars, we lost Gorges, Gionta and Vanek. Low minute or semi-regulars, we lost Brière, Murray and Parros.

Regular veterans added: Gilbert, Malhotra and PAP.

Don't know how much impact Brière, Murray and Parros may have had.

Losing Gionta, Gorges, Briere, Vanek, Paros, Murray, and perhaps Bouillon is a big loss in the locker room. Part of what made our team successful was how we competed. I think the veterans, even the ones who didn't play a lot or put up big points, were model citizens.

I haven't seen anything from PAP and Gilbert to say they're in the same category leadership wise as the 7 players we just lost. Even Vanek, Pacioretty talked about how much he learned from Vanek about getting open and positioning in the offensive zone.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Losing Gionta, Gorges, Briere, Vanek, Paros, Murray, and perhaps Bouillon is a big loss in the locker room. Part of what made our team successful was how we competed. I think the veterans, even the ones who didn't play a lot or put up big points, were model citizens.

I haven't seen anything from PAP and Gilbert to say they're in the same category leadership wise as the 7 players we just lost. Even Vanek, Pacioretty talked about how much he learned from Vanek about getting open and positioning in the offensive zone.

And yet our hardest working players in the playoffs were our young core.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
We got better if only by not screwing around with guys on the bad side of 30 in key position and letting the kids grab that ice time instead. The immediate result could be a step back followed by three step forward. My prediction is a rocky start but ultimatly a 95 points season followed by a deep playoff run again.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Depends on the youngsters. If Galchenyuk and NB progress, things should look better.. but I do wonder about the leadership with the departure of Gio and even Gorges to a point. I think they brought a lot of it.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Depends on the youngsters. If Galchenyuk and NB progress, things should look better.. but I do wonder about the leadership with the departure of Gio and even Gorges to a point. I think they brought a lot of it.
There already plenty of leadership on that team. Markov, Plekanec*, Prust, Malhotra... And for a relatively young team almost everybody has a lot of playoff experience.

*If he still here by September.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Will boil down to leadership or lack of it.
If the Habs want to be considered better, the kids need to take another step...Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Bournival.

The young vets are truly the key though...Pacioretty, Subban, Eller, DD, Price.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There already plenty of leadership on that team. Markov, Plekanec*, Prust, Malhotra... And for a relatively young team almost everybody has a lot of playoff experience.

*If he still here by September.

Pleks will be here, Habs need his two way game, his leadership.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

come on now, you really think guys like Murray, Vanek and Parros had any kind of leadership ? a goon, a rental and a part time player who wasnt used in the PO...

you put way too much effort into finding reasons to believe we're no better...

and stop adding Vanek n your list, it's pretty clear for anyone who can read, comparing beginning of last season to right now... Vanek wasnt a Habs at the beginning of last season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Not too worried about leadership. Price and PK are the two biggest leaders. We still have a bunch of veterans with leadership too.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know I think the organization feel they could flip him for a really good winger and let Eller take that line. That how I read their moves so far. It time for Eller and Galchenyuk to play top line minutes at centre.

what exactly gives you this impression ? anything said by either the coaches or GM ?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Considering Montreal's biggest problem last year was scoring goals, I'm not sure if they improved.

I think the bottom 6 is much more balanced this year that it was at the start of last season and so is the bottom pairing on defense. Gilbert is good, I like him, but I'm not sure if he will be a drastic improvement over Gorges. The biggest wild card on D is Emelin. If he plays better on his proper side than the defense is looking good. If he continues to struggle like he did last year even with the switch, the Canadiens will once again have a flawed top 4 on D.

Whether or not the team is better will depend on Galchenyuk, Eller, Beaulieu and Gallagher taking the next step in their developments. If they stagnate, the Canadiens will probably have the same goal scoring issues they had last season before the Vanek trade.

I don't think PAP covers the collective goalscoring of Gionta, Briere (who I disliked, but still produced decently) and Vanek.

In short, whether or not the team is better depends on Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu and Emelin improving upon their performances last. In the case of the former 4 players, each need to take the next step in their development.

also, there is always the enigma that is Bourque, perhaps he awakens and solves the goal scoring issues.

One thing though, the Canadiens after Markov and Subban had terrible offensive contribution from their D core. Perhaps adding Gilbert and a fulltime Beaulieu to the lineup provides the Canadiens more scoring from the backend which is a huge bonus for a team that struggles to score up front.

Don't worry so much about the goals. Compare last season's roster with the season before. One of those was a much better goal scoring team and the roster changes didn't have much to do with it.

Never thought the problem with the current habs was forwards. The habs rarely get a good breakout, and when you have markov and subban on your team, that's not acceptable. We always look like we're breaking out for the first time as a team. There's no chemistry there. Compare it to even the rangers and we look like a pee-wee team. I think not starting the year with franky boo/murray in our top 6 will help a lot on it's own. That's a lot of possession that was given up voluntarily by icing a worse roster.

I think the improvements on D will make up for any losses in forwards. How much we improve will depend on the growth of the kids.

The problem isn't that we had Bouillon/Murray it's that even when Markov and Subban are on the ice we struggle with breakouts more than we should. We rely way too much on stretch passes instead of of breaking out as a team with short passes. That's a system/coaching problem more than a personnel problem, though certainly Beaulieu/Gilbert will improve things no matter what.

The three of you are all focusing on what I think is key: A revitalized defence, which will create a stronger offence. The Gorges era is over, and we're transitioning towards the Beaulieu, Tinordi and Gilbert style of puck-moving. From cautious and systematic to faster, younger, bigger.

With improved speed in our back end, I think we'll see a return to the 2013 style of quick transition, something we lost in 2014. Last season we were older and slower. Our D laid back and allowed the opposition to enter our zone and claim the boards, leaving us hemmed in. Aside from Subban and Markov, the D wasn't able to move the puck out confidently, claim the neutral zone, make quick passes out. We waited for opportunities instead of creating them. We're about to see that trend reversed with our two rookie dmen plus Gilbert, and possible call-ups for Nygren and Pateryn.

The downside: expect mistakes. Glaring 2-on-1s, wide-open slots and lost games because of inexperience. No way around it. Hopefully we don't blow a playoff spot while these guys learn the ropes. But even while we allow more goals, expect to score more too, thanks to a changeover in our defensive system.

As to the forwards, Parenteau will help somewhat, but a lot depends on our young guys development, an unknown KHL player and a prospect stepping up. Our D might push the play, but we still need guys to put pucks in the net. But even if they do no better than last year, I still expect better 5-on-5 scoring.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't know I think the organization feel they could flip him for a really good winger and let Eller take that line. That how I read their moves so far. It time for Eller and Galchenyuk to play top line minutes at centre.

The chances of Plekanec being traded vanished the moment Gorges and Gionta did. No way can the Habs afford to lose Plek's two-way skill when they've already dumped so much defensive skill from the roster.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
what exactly gives you this impression ? anything said by either the coaches or GM ?

Just look at the roster they already traded Briere for Paranteau but also added two more centre.
Montreal already had Eller, DD, Bournival, Galchenyuk, Plekanec as centre and added Maholtra and Sekac to that mix.

I don't expect Maholtra to play more than fourth line duty but I don't expect anybody to take that line from him either. Sekac will probably start on the wing. So four or five guys, three top spot see a patern here. Plekanec on the third line would be a waste of money and cap. DD is locked with Paciorety but that might not last if Sekac look good enough to take over the third DD might also be on his way out. My prediction Eller is getting the third line, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will get the second with probably Sekac and Bourque getting the left wing duty on either of those line. Bournival will play on the left of Maholtra with Weise on his right. I look at that roster and I see a need for a left winger and a glut of centre so who would you move to get a bonafide top six left winger? None of the guys that Bergevin acquired this week were under six feet by the way. Except Weaver but he was already here.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Exactly my thought. Losing Vanek hurts.

Vanek was a rental and he didn't scintillate in the playoffs. He was surpassed by Bourque, of all people. His salary of $6.5M from the Wild would have been a big problem with Subban still to be signed. Allowing Gionta and Gorges to leave also creates breathing room.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Just look at the roster they already traded Briere for Paranteau but also added two more centre.
Montreal already had Eller, DD, Bournival, Galchenyuk, Plekanec as centre and added Maholtra and Sekac to that mix.

I don't expect Maholtra to play more than fourth line duty but I don't expect anybody to take that line from him either. Sekac will probably start on the wing. So four or five guys, three top spot see a patern here. Plekanec on the third line would be a waste of money and cap. DD is locked with Paciorety but that might not last if Sekac look good enough to take over the third DD might also be on his way out. My prediction Eller is getting the third line, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will get the second with probably Sekac and Bourque getting the left wing duty on either of those line. Bournival will play on the left of Maholtra with Weise on his right. I look at that roster and I see a need for a left winger and a glut of centre so who would you move to get a bonafide top six left winger? None of the guys that Bergevin acquired this week were under six feet by the way. Except Weaver but he was already here.

Bournival has been used as a winger last season and Galchenyuk has only been used as a C at the beginning of his first season - since then he's been used as a winger...

so, we removed Briere and added Malhorta, that's it.

besides, 3 C who can play in the defensive zone is a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad