At Practice today... Good News IMO

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I expected more leadership from veterans like Kane, Perron, Compher, Maata. Keep the group together while Larkin is out. Even if Larkin was Steve Yzerman himself in leadership, there's no excuse for nobody else stepping up. You can have some bad games, but getting blown out twice in one week by inferior teams is inexcusable.

This team needs both better leaders and better players.
You forgot coaching too...But you are right though - the performance by the so called 'vets' on this roster has been subpar...I would be surprised to see any of the pending UFAs returning next season - including Kane.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yea maybe Kane could show a little more leadership, but despite all the shit he gets around here, he is a nice surprise and has held up his end of the bargain. The other guys are known middling quantities. If they were genuine leaders they wouldn't be in Detroit or where they are in the lineup.

I've said it before, but their inability to bang bodies at all really hampers our ability to turn around the momentum in these games. If the pucks aren't bouncing our way Newsy should be able to send a line over the boards that will be flying all over the place and hitting everything in sight. That intensity just doesn't exist in the lineup or apparently in the coaching vocabulary. We just don't have enough for a clean skilled game to rely on it solely.
Dude, the Wings have lacked toughness since the 2000s started. Back then they got away with it because of talent. This last decade has been a lack of skill and grit.

Their 4th line is basically three players not good enough to play consistently on the top lines. There's no checking line. No hitting. They think they can just overrun teams by throwing out four lines with smaller, speedy players. Maybe that would work if the defense wasn't slow and clumsy. They're getting pushed around by more physical groups. That's also not a blueprint for playoff success. You need to win puck battles in the playoffs. We're not the 1984 Oilers like we're just going to dominate with speed and skill.

I think a better mix of speed, size, and toughness would be ideal. Other teams have that.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Dude, the Wings have lacked toughness since the 2000s started. Back then they got away with it because of talent. This last decade has been a lack of skill and grit.

Their 4th line is basically three players not good enough to play consistently on the top lines. There's no checking line. No hitting. They think they can just overrun teams by throwing out four lines with smaller, speedy players. Maybe that would work if the defense wasn't slow and clumsy. They're getting pushed around by more physical groups. That's also not a blueprint for playoff success. You need to win puck battles in the playoffs. We're not the 1984 Oilers like we're just going to dominate with speed and skill.

I think a better mix of speed, size, and toughness would be ideal. Other teams have that.
I honestly think the US Women's National Soccer team has more snarl than this current Red Wings roster.

• Haha
Reactions: 13to40

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Gonna be annoying though if the media makes a big deal out of this. Kind of understand why cameras aren't allowed sometimes.
Let 'em make, if they want. Let's get some shame into the mix, since nothing else seems to be working. Nothing wrong with a little shame - it's a healthy thing, to be forced to measure your expectations against everyone else's, a little.

As a fan it's frustrating to watch a team doing nothing for 60 minutes. I mean, if after this run of games you could say "they've spent too much time proving they can be physical and forgetting to play the actual game" or "they are so defensively-minded that they let waves and waves charge the zone and can't outscore the inevitable goals against" or "they are trying to outscore their defensive lapses and cannot" or... or... anything coherent.

Instead I've "been forced" to watch 18 periods of hockey where they bumble around like freshmen leaving their first college party accomplishing nothing.

It's insulting. They are professionals and need to act like it.

I've always maintained that in order for me to enjoy a game, I need to see actual decent hockey being played, not necessarily a victory. Do I want the Wings to win every game? Of course I do. Do I think they will? Of course I don't. When my friends ask me "how was the game?" I'll often respond with "they lost but they played some good hockey so I'm happy enough." And that's been the case practically all season, even in December's Blunder Run where they were hammered by holes in the lineup and a blistering schedule.

I have no clue what's wrong in that factory, but the product they've turned out recently has been asstastic.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Let 'em make, if they want. Let's get some shame into the mix, since nothing else seems to be working. Nothing wrong with a little shame - it's a healthy thing, to be forced to measure your expectations against everyone else's, a little.

As a fan it's frustrating to watch a team doing nothing for 60 minutes. I mean, if after this run of games you could say "they've spent too much time proving they can be physical and forgetting to play the actual game" or "they are so defensively-minded that they let waves and waves charge the zone and can't outscore the inevitable goals against" or "they are trying to outscore their defensive lapses and cannot" or... or... anything coherent.

Instead I've "been forced" to watch 18 periods of hockey where they bumble around like freshmen leaving their first college party accomplishing nothing.

I've always maintained that in order for me to enjoy a game, I need to see actual decent hockey being played, not necessarily a victory. Do I want the Wings to win every game? Of course I do. Do I think they will? Of course I don't. When my friends ask me "how was the game?" I'll often respond with "they lost but they played some good hockey so I'm happy enough." And that's been the case practically all season, even in December's Blunder Run where they were hammered by holes in the lineup and a blistering schedule.

I have no clue what's wrong in that factory, but the product they've turned out recently has been asstastic.
Well said.

This is/was the 1st season of the past several where our beloved Red Wings didn't resemble a High School JV team...Now that's not the case as they seem intent on bumblef**king their way thru what's left of this season.

And I was sooooo looking forward to 'April in the D' - aka playoff hockey.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

Yup. As you said, the December stretch was nothing compared to this. For one, they were severely shorthanded. Two, they generally were still competing. This - I don't know what this is.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well said.

This is/was the 1st season of the past several where our beloved Red Wings didn't resemble a High School JV team...Now that's not the case as they seem intent on bumblef**king their way thru what's left of this season.

And I was sooooo looking forward to 'April in the D' - aka playoff hockey.
It would have been an exciting thing to watch, even for only five games.

I forgot what playoff hockey used to feel like. This team hasn't played a single big game in almost 8 years now.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

Their 4th line is basically three players not good enough to play consistently on the top lines. There's no checking line. No hitting. They think they can just overrun teams by throwing out four lines with smaller, speedy players. Maybe that would work if the defense wasn't slow and clumsy.
Well, the unskilled guys aren't that small and there is nothing saying they couldn't play physically. And if they are shitty as it seems, why not deploy them in a more dynamic manner? If we burn through them, so what? x's and o's should not be the only tool in the box.

"Anyone over 6 ft tall go out there and give me three hard checks and then get off the ice or you watch from the box."

It doesn't have to be a gameplan, just a tool to get the guys engaged and push back. This just feels like Blash hockey where the sentiment is "why push back? the script is already written."

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well, the unskilled guys aren't that small and there is nothing saying they couldn't play physically. And if they are shitty as it seems, why not deploy them in a more dynamic manner? If we burn through them, so what? x's and o's should not be the only tool in the box.

"Anyone over 6 ft tall go out there and give me three hard checks and then get off the ice or you watch from the box."

It doesn't have to be a gameplan, just a tool to get the guys engaged and push back. This just feels like Blash hockey where the sentiment is "why push back? the script is already written."
I hear you. Too bad our biggest player is a 6'6 teddy bear.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Tyler Bertuzzi fought someone years back, forget if it was rookie camp or NHL camp?

Hopefully it's a sign of guys caring and getting on each other/holding each other accountable. That's what's needed. No more feeling sorry for yourself, Larkin isn't here. Suck it up.

didn't Bertuzzi straight up break Jensen's hand in a preseason practice or something once?

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
team is on a huge losing streak. of course theyre frustrated and pissed. take it out on the other team though. LGRW

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
To me it's a temper tantrum by a young fella and an older dude, but to others it's "emotional" character... No punches, it's not a fight, Idk what's being said but Chiarot clearly talking to him.

Reactions: 13to40 and theYman

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Good healthy competitiveness that's all. They're pissed as much as us fans are right now. It's good to see. That is all.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think this was the 2013 development camp. And if I remember right, Jensen tore his labrum here and was out for several months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
As was I. Stupid clickbait title.

Good news would be the whole team being forced to wear my dumpster fire patch until they win a game. That would be good news.
I don't know if you can get them to wear the whole dumpster image, but if you design a burning Priority logo by itself... well, they're wearing trash right now, so they'll wear anything, right?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Would love to see a goal set up by Chiarot to Raymond tonight to quiet all the nonsense… in winning fashion of course.

Time to end to this dumpster fire losing streak.

Still in the thick of a playoff race. Not many teams can go on such a skid (in any year) and still be in the hunt for a spot. A win tonight can turn everything around for the better.

Will be really interesting to see the starting line up tonight.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
IMG_0287.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad