At Moment ,Canes 9th place in Eastern Conference, Leafs 6th place but Canes have more points

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is a major flaw in the League and not fair at all.Yes it could still right itself but I think the 1 vs 8 format needs to be brought back.There are 3 teams behind Leafs with more points.It is almost laughable that these smart people that draw this up think this is good having teams with more pts potentially missing playoffs over teams with less points..Leave your thoughts but you have mine.Thanks p.s. If this was Bruins I would still feel the same way too.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Since the current playoff format was introduced, in no cases has a team missed the playoffs while having more points than a team in their own conference who made it. Maybe this'll be the first year for that.

There's certainly been a lot of other dumb things over the years though, interestingly enough pretty much all of it in the east.

15-16 had the 97 point Lightning hosting the 93 point Red Wings while the 100 point Islanders had to be the visitors against the 103 point Panthers.
16-17 had the 98 point Senators hosting the 95 point Bruins while the 102 point Rangers had to be the visitors against the 103 point Habs and the 108 point Jackets were on the road against the 111 point Penguins. (#2 vs #3 in the conference, #2 vs #4 overall)
17-18 had the 105 point Leafs having to be on the road to the 112 point Bruins while the 100 point Penguins got to host the 98 point Flyers.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Since the current playoff format was introduced, in no cases has a team missed the playoffs while having more points than a team in their own conference who made it. Maybe this'll be the first year for that.

There's certainly been a lot of other dumb things over the years though, interestingly enough pretty much all of it in the east.

15-16 had the 97 point Lightning hosting the 93 point Red Wings while the 100 point Islanders had to be the visitors against the 103 point Panthers.
16-17 had the 98 point Senators hosting the 95 point Bruins while the 102 point Rangers had to be the visitors against the 103 point Habs and the 108 point Jackets were on the road against the 111 point Penguins. (#2 vs #3 in the conference, #2 vs #4 overall)
17-18 had the 105 point Leafs having to be on the road to the 112 point Bruins while the 100 point Penguins got to host the 98 point Flyers.

I like the playoff format as I really think it builds rivalries but I can see how fans find it frustrating when it works against your particular team

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I like the playoff format as I really think it builds rivalries but I can see how fans find it frustrating when it works against your particular team
Agreed. Sometimes it helps your team, sometimes it hurts them. But bringing rivalries back is important in my opinion.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
*I have no dog in the fight regarding the teams in this thread.*

I grew up with the 1-8 playoffs and I think that is the best way to go. The NHL has tried creating rivalries since the 04-05 lockout in various forms and it has never really worked IMO.

I would like to go back to the old system with one change. Under the old system, 1-3 seeds were all the division winners, with the rest of the field lined up behind them. Bring back the 1-8 format but seed them according to points. The division winners will all have a guaranteed playoff spot but not a top seed unless their points dictate so.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes this is how divisions work.

Yes, divisions suck.

*I have no dog in the fight regarding the teams in this thread.*

I grew up with the 1-8 playoffs and I think that is the best way to go. The NHL has tried creating rivalries since the 04-05 lockout in various forms and it has never really worked IMO.

I would like to go back to the old system with one change. Under the old system, 1-3 seeds were all the division winners, with the rest of the field lined up behind them. Bring back the 1-8 format but seed them according to points. The division winners will all have a guaranteed playoff spot but not a top seed unless their points dictate so.

I agree completely. Another other system worth considering is 1-16 which was done at one point, was awesome, not sure why they scrapped it.

Better yet would be instead of fixed seeding, having the #1 team choose their opponent, then the number 2 team choosing etc. This would be good for a number of reasons, one issue is that sometimes it's clear that the teams don't finish the season standings in order of their strength at the time the season ends. There would be no more tanking the last game of the season to get a better opponent. And if the 8th place team is on a roll but the 6th place team is on a huge downturn due to injuries or whatever else, why shouldn't the #1 team be able to choose them as their opponent? It also mitigates the travel issue in a 1-16 system as if a team doesn't like the travelling they'd have to do, pick a different opponent.

The opponents would be chosen in a playoff draft the day after the season ends. Just imagine the drama and the TV ratings!! And after each round there would be a new draft.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This happens occasionally during the season, can't remember if a team has actually ended up missing the playoffs with more points than a team from a different division since this new realignment. It'd probably take that for them to make any sort of adjustment.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I'd like it more if the wildcards stuck to the divisions when possible. ie, the only time the Atlantic winner plays a metro team is when both wildcards are metro teams and they always player the lower of those or the only time a Metro winner plays an Atlantic team is when the two wildcard's are both Atlantic teams.

Basically turn it into a true division setup where 4 teams from each division make it with the exception that if the 5th place team from one division is better than the 4th place team from another, they make it ahead of them and are transferred into that division.

TBH, at that point, I'd even reseed for the former conference finals. Have 2 rounds of division playoffs to result in 4 teams which get reseeded for the cup semis theoretically allowing for 2 East or 2 West teams to make it into the cup finals in the same year. Once you're down to 4 years, the scheduling and cross country trips aren't near as big a deal.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This happens occasionally during the season, can't remember if a team has actually ended up missing the playoffs with more points than a team from a different division since this new realignment. It'd probably take that for them to make any sort of adjustment.

Within conferences it hasn't happened, but there's been times when a non-playoff team in the east had more points than a playoff team in the west and vice-versa

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There is one team not in a playoff spot behind the Leafs that has more points.

If you're going to include wildcard teams then why not bring up the 16-17 Bruins who shared 95pts with Toronto while the 105pts Rangers were in a wildcard spot behind them.

The Leafs would be tied for 4th in the west right now.

The issue isn't a weak division (florida and the leafs are decent), it's that the west has a lot of good, but not great teams, and few bad ones

Reactions: Rob Brown

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Within conferences it hasn't happened, but there's been times when a non-playoff team in the east had more points than a playoff team in the west and vice-versa

Yeah but that's even less likely to ever be addressed. West and East are separated come playoff time.

I wouldn't mind a 1-16 ranking, or 4 division winners and the next 12 best teams, but that's likely a pipe dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad