At Moment ,Canes 9th place in Eastern Conference, Leafs 6th place but Canes have more points

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even in the 1-8 there was still issues remember how the weakest conference vision winner would get that third spot even if the teams 4th,5th had more points.

Carolina or Washington usually did this I think? Usually a southeast team as that division was by far the worst.

but I still like the 1-8, 1v16 would be crazy I know they wouldn’t do it (they did that I believe in 1980ish) because of travel and such
I doubt they care about travel. The main issue is they want games at 7pm and at 10pm. But, they also want the anchor markets playing at the time where they will get the most ratings. The last thing the NHL wants is the Leafs or Rangers having playoff games at 10 o'clock est, or the Kings playing at 4pm pst. So, then they may have to cram a bunch of games into 8:00 or 8:30 starts which isn't really great for either market. The entire issue is maximizing playoff viewership to maximize revenue.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The moment Seattle gets into the league they need to go back to 1-8 with the two division winners getting the 1 and 2 seeds.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
How much sympathy did Leaf fans get when they complained about the division system matching them against the 2nd conference seed the last two seasons?

I don't especially like the system either but it's the system we've got.
It’s almost like not being in the playoffs at all is worse than being in but not playing the team you probably should

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Just gotta take solace in fact that the Canes are the better team. Hopefully the NHL shakes things up.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Weren't Leafs 5th I. The east last year and had to play 2nd in the east?

Lol, what the hell is this thread

Brownies

Each system will have its injustice but I do agree that the previous one (1-8) felt better... I don't know if teams who travel more prefer the new one... Lots of people have talked of the rivalry between the Alberta teams recently and of ways to bring back HATE into the game and the Wild Card system definitely increases the number of times a pair of teams will meet in the playoffs, like what we are seeing with the Bruins and Leafs. Not sure of which I prefer.

One thing is sure : please don't create a thread every time a team is ahead with less points, please ! :laugh:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The moment Seattle gets into the league they need to go back to 1-8 with the two division winners getting the 1 and 2 seeds.

then it was the same problem......
Carolina used to get third seed and barely make the playoffs. Then the leafs/sens/flyers used to destroy each other.

It should be 1-8 2vs7 etc.

I don’t get the point of the division championships. Who cares? Do people really think the leafs and flyers/isles didn’t hate each other because of made up division names?

It should be 1-16 but they won’t because
Of conference travel. So that’s the best alternative outside of the draft

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Should be 2 divisions, top 8 teams in each division go to the playoffs.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
So the East has a lot of decent to good teams?

Yeah, the East is stacked this year. Now you know how us fans of Western Conference teams felt during the Hawks/Kings era when the 9th and 10th place Western teams would have usually made the playoffs in the East. So while the East is better this year and last, the West has still been the tougher conference over the past 10-15 years.

Good luck with that. :thumbu:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
then it was the same problem......
Carolina used to get third seed and barely make the playoffs. Then the leafs/sens/flyers used to destroy each other.

It should be 1-8 2vs7 etc.

I don’t get the point of the division championships. Who cares? Do people really think the leafs and flyers/isles didn’t hate each other because of made up division names?

It should be 1-16 but they won’t because
Of conference travel. So that’s the best alternative outside of the draft

This is what I was advocating for.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The Leafs are 12th overall in the league and we get a new thread everyday about how unfair it is that they're one of 16 playoff teams...

HF's obsession with hating on the Leafs knows no bounds.

But I love waking up and coming to the main board and half the threads are about the Leafs.

Reactions: Lahey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad