At Moment ,Canes 9th place in Eastern Conference, Leafs 6th place but Canes have more points

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Caps Canes Isles Pens would be fun 1st round again so I don't hate the system per say....but it can be unfair from year to year.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Since no one here seems to think from the other sides of things, I will play devil's advocate. No one cares what you think, the league and the owners only care about money and revenue. The playoffs generate income, so as an owner, would you want your chances to diminish from the current odds to grab a playoff spot in the current divisional system, or go down significantly with a 1-8 system or 1-16 system? From the Owners stand point, you would never do that. You aim for the better odds to make more money which is the current system.

The league saying they want to make rivalries and all that is them blowing smoke up everyone's ass. They don't care about that. This system is all about giving owners a better chance to make the playoffs, even if they aren't the better team.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
If they went to 1-16 seeding, I think you would have to go to a regular season without conferences, where everyone plays a similar schedule in order for it to be fair.

ie: during the regular season, every team plays 41 games against the " East" and 41 games against the "West"

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How much sympathy did Leaf fans get when they complained about the division system matching them against the 2nd conference seed the last two seasons?

I don't especially like the system either but it's the system we've got.

You can say this multiple times a year. Jets and Nashville were #1 and #2 in the entire NHL in 17-18 and met in the second round, for example. Jets also played the #8 ranked team in the league in the first round., despite behing #2 in the entire NHL.

A team missing the playoffs with more points than another team is different than bad seeding because of an inane playoff set up. One is much, much worse.

But again, it's early, and by the end of the year it will probably still be the best 16 teams that make it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You know what divisions are right? The old format also had divsion winners being seeded higher than teams with more points also.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Since no one here seems to think from the other sides of things, I will play devil's advocate. No one cares what you think, the league and the owners only care about money and revenue. The playoffs generate income, so as an owner, would you want your chances to diminish from the current odds to grab a playoff spot in the current divisional system, or go down significantly with a 1-8 system or 1-16 system? From the Owners stand point, you would never do that. You aim for the better odds to make more money which is the current system.

The league saying they want to make rivalries and all that is them blowing smoke up everyone's ass. They don't care about that. This system is all about giving owners a better chance to make the playoffs, even if they aren't the better team.
Same number of playoff teams in any scenario and therefore the same odds of any individual team making the playoffs?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
So Toronto won all their championships when there was like 12 teams in the league, does that mean they also have no leg to stand on?
It was 6 teams and it depends on who they are arguing with. But I tend to agree the Leafs 13 cups while cool hardly compares to modern dynasties.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is a major flaw in the League and not fair at all.Yes it could still right itself but I think the 1 vs 8 format needs to be brought back.There are 3 teams behind Leafs with more points.It is almost laughable that these smart people that draw this up think this is good having teams with more pts potentially missing playoffs over teams with less points..Leave your thoughts but you have mine.Thanks p.s. If this was Bruins I would still feel the same way too.

What good team? You're fighting over 2 teams in 8th/9th place in the East with a 1 point differential. The way you're crying about it makes it seem like Carolina was up by 6 points and still not in a playoff position, if that were the case you'd have a very good argument. The difference between them is so negligible it doesn't matter which one of them gets in, Toronto just happens to have the divisional advantage, maybe Carolina should win more games then cause "good teams' don't have to worry about scraping in.

Reactions: Lahey

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Same number of playoff teams in any scenario and therefore the same odds of any individual team making the playoffs?
You're competing with less teams to make the playoffs with the current system. You only have to place in the top 3 in your division to make it. It's easier for a weak division in the current system than it would ever be in a 1-16

Reactions: glovesave_35

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
*I have no dog in the fight regarding the teams in this thread.*

I grew up with the 1-8 playoffs and I think that is the best way to go. The NHL has tried creating rivalries since the 04-05 lockout in various forms and it has never really worked IMO.

I would like to go back to the old system with one change. Under the old system, 1-3 seeds were all the division winners, with the rest of the field lined up behind them. Bring back the 1-8 format but seed them according to points. The division winners will all have a guaranteed playoff spot but not a top seed unless their points dictate so.

That is such BS, because of how the playoff format we got the Pittsburgh - Washington rivalry, and the Toronto Boston is turning out to be a good rivalry

There is also some great rivalries out west so you can't say it isn't working as intended, it 100% is

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
To play devils advocate here, a teams point total is heavily affected and skewed by playing more within their division, as opposed to playing every team in the league the same amount, therefore comparing point totals of teams from other divisions can be tricky (more so the fault with the 1-16 playoff proposal if divisions remained intact) In this instance, Carolina's division also happens to be harder than Toronto's, therefore if I was a Canes fan I'd be annoyed.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That is such BS, because of how the playoff format we got the Pittsburgh - Washington rivalry, and the Toronto Boston is turning out to be a good rivalry

There is also some great rivalries out west so you can't say it isn't working as intended, it 100% is
Very reasoned take.

No, we already had a Washington/Pittsburgh rivalry before this system was implemented.

To say something is working you have to prove the previous system was not working. It absolutely was. The early 2000's playoffs had great rivalries and they were organic.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So I probably have the even more unpopular opinion that once Seattle joins they should do away with the wildcard entirely. You win your division to advance to the semi-finals, top 4 finisher in each division play. Yes there will be some tough luck 5th place teams over the years, but too bad, don't finish behind 4 teams in your division. That is more in keeping with the 80s and will create the rivalries they are actually seeking. The Wildcard is what screws up those intentions to me and once we have a balanced 32 with 4 divisions of 8 I would prefer true division champions ala the 80s.

I would be okay with reseeding in the semifinals. You could do away with conference championships or keep East/West though I think here you reward the regular season and better divisions with a seeding of the four division champions based on point totals from the season. But I would like you to win your actual divisional playoffs against your true division opponents to get the semifinal. I doubt it happens, but that will always be my preference.

I think we have some rivalry out of this format, I think you get even more by doing away with the wildcard. You fight the same teams to get to the top of the mountain. The games mean more in the regular season and in the playoffs you're likely to see the same teams for decent chunks of years where true hatred would be built in my opinion.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Now the Canes are 9th in the east with 68 points, ahead of 5 out of the 8 Western play off teams

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
We’re now back to normal with the top 8 in the East in playoff spots. These threads should really wait until the end of the year.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Payback for all those years in the southleast division. JK the system should just be a 1 vs 8 format. No argument there from me.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Simple solution - get rid of the wild card.

1-4 in each division. Nice and easy. No crying. No whining. Just finish in the top half of your division and there won’t be any problems.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I like the playoff format as I really think it builds rivalries
bringing rivalries back is important
The NHL has tried creating rivalries since the 04-05 lockout in various forms and it has never really worked IMO.
Cos rivalries don't come out of the marketing department.
Rivalries are created in playoffs no matter who you play. It's dumb force feeding them

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Even in the 1-8 there was still issues remember how the weakest conference vision winner would get that third spot even if the teams 4th,5th had more points.

Carolina or Washington usually did this I think? Usually a southeast team as that division was by far the worst.

but I still like the 1-8, 1v16 would be crazy I know they wouldn’t do it (they did that I believe in 1980ish) because of travel and such

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
1v16 would be crazy I know they wouldn’t do it (they did that I believe in 1980ish) because of travel and such
however that's much more likely to generate additional hype (MONEY!), rather than this divvy malarkey IMO

should at least reseed the semis 100%
and it's even been "looked at" apparently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad