Prospect Info: At 29th Overall the Blackhawks Select Henri Jokiharju (signed through 2020-21)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Immigration Officer: "What's your name?"
HJ: "I am Henri Jokiharju of Oulu, Finland."
Immigration Officer: "Henri Joki-what? Your American name is Harry Joker. Approved."

pdvd_0211.jpg

* Ellis Island in the 1920's. "Godfather Part II."

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Those guys helped yes, but Jokiharju was the only defensemen tonight against the Leafs to put up multiple shots on goal (5 for him, 1 or none for everyone else). He's not a PPG defensmen, we're all aware of that, but his play has earned him the success that he's had so far.

We're all really, really happy about this kid.

And I forgot to say, he has had only few seconds of power player minutes, but let's see after 10 games how he has done I guess.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
And I forgot to say, he has had only few seconds of power player minutes, but let's see after 10 games how he has done I guess.
I'm fine if Joker makes mistakes this year. This kid has 'it.' We haven't had a DMen with this kind of upside since Keith. It's better than watching Manning and Rutta spin their wheels. It time for Keith to sit on the PP. Seabrook is okay because of his heavy shot.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm fine if Joker makes mistakes this year. This kid has 'it.' We haven't had a DMen with this kind of upside since Keith. It's better than watching Manning and Rutta spin their wheels. It time for Keith to sit on the PP. Seabrook is okay because of his heavy shot.

110% agree. He's a stud.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm 'pissing honey' (Finnish proverb - roughly: 'happily excited') for all these next-generation Finns popping up onto NHL radar like mushrooms in an autumn forest, Jokiharju being another pleasant surprise. It's not anymore like before with Finnish prospects: Mass of average defensively minded forwards, dotted sparsely with few expections (Kurri, Selänne, Lehtinen...). Now it seems that player production has increased by both in quantity but also in quality for every roles, not including goalies that have been traditionally kind of trade mark of Finnish hockey pipeline.

Happy, happy, joy, joy. :)

Yes it is very exciting beginning of a season to be a Finn. There probably has never been a season like this. I'm most excited about the 3 new Finnish D-men (Jokiharju, Heiskanen and Välimäki) that are getting minutes as that's an area which the Finnish national team has been lacking for a long time now.

I always thought Blackhawks is some kind of cursed place for Finnish D-men as we all know how it went with Pokka. It has been kind of cursed place for forwards as well as Teräväinen and Tuomo Ruutu blossomed elsewhere and even Antti Niemi got sent away soon after a championship season. So having that in mind and seeing Jokiharju paired with one of the D-man gods of the league Duncan Keith is too much fun not to watch and kind of mind blowing to me.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I must wonder how high he'd go in a redraft if 2017 draft could be redone now. Of the 2017 class Hischier, Heiskanen and Pettersson haven't disppointed but Jokiharju isn't far from these guys I'd say.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2017
----------------------------------------------------------
Google translator gives "Joker" some alternative nicknames. For some reason when I write his name to the translator it gives me "Henri rushes". That's now what his surname means at all translated lmao.

If you don't type Henri and only type Jokiharju you get it right, joki=river, harju=ridge. Henry Riverridge.

Google Kääntäjä
Google Kääntäjä

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
After seeing him play in the NHL, I think he is a keeper and a stud. Think about a new 1st Pairing D. Now hope Boqvist and/or Beaudin make it and be considered a 1st Pairing D.
That would make this team a PO team.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Ugh, losing him still hurts...:(
Especially after it took years to learn how to spell his name. Teuvo Teravainen.

That's why we should have "Americanized" his name to "Terry Vaining."

Same goes for the Swede, Hjalmarsson. I still don't know how to spell his name. He should have Americanized his name to, "Jay Marson."

Teuvo had his struggles. His talent was immense, but his work ethic was questioned and Q didn't know how to use him. It's a shame how the Hawks pretty much gave him up for nothing though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Especially after it took years to learn how to spell his name. Teuvo Teravainen.

Same goes for the Swede, Hjalmarsson. I still don't know how to spell his name. He should have Americanized his name to, "Jay Marson."

Teuvo had his struggles. His talent was immense, but his work ethic was questioned and Q didn't know how to use him. It's a shame how the Hawks pretty much gave him up for nothing though.

I never bothered to learn how to spell his name, or Hammer's. :laugh:

It was TT and Hammer.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

We've moved on from some pretty good players because of this unfortunately

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think most people know it's not just Kelley. Just like most people know it's not just (insert GM here) building a team and success all by themselves but it's pinned on them for generality's sake.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Comments like this are just mind boggling as it is no where close to just Mark Kelly.

No it's not all Mark Kelley but Stan gets too much credit from some here. SB is the first to say how much he relies on his chief scout. How many times do you think Stan has ignored his advice on prospects?

I posted this before. It's worth a read. Here's an excerpt:

Kelley and Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman had already been working together, but their relationship developed even more over time. They grew to understand each other’s hockey philosophies more closely, and Kelley began to recognize exactly what Bowman and Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville wanted in players.

From there, Bowman has put his trust in Kelley to do his job.

“It’s important that you have to trust because ultimately Mark’s the guy,” Bowman said. “He knows these guys better than I do. I try to make a point of seeing the top 30, 40 players because at least when we’re looking at that first guy that I have some kind of frame of reference. As we get beyond that, he knows these guys and I have to really defer to his opinion and I have to trust he’s seeing it the way I would see it if I were a full-time scout and I can’t b
e.

Hockey runs in the family for Mark Kelley, the man behind...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No it's not all Mark Kelley but Stan gets too much credit from some here. SB is the first to say how much he relies on his chief scout. How many times do you think Stan has ignored his advice on prospects?

I posted this before. It's worth a read. Here's an excerpt:

Kelley and Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman had already been working together, but their relationship developed even more over time. They grew to understand each other’s hockey philosophies more closely, and Kelley began to recognize exactly what Bowman and Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville wanted in players.

From there, Bowman has put his trust in Kelley to do his job.

“It’s important that you have to trust because ultimately Mark’s the guy,” Bowman said. “He knows these guys better than I do. I try to make a point of seeing the top 30, 40 players because at least when we’re looking at that first guy that I have some kind of frame of reference. As we get beyond that, he knows these guys and I have to really defer to his opinion and I have to trust he’s seeing it the way I would see it if I were a full-time scout and I can’t b
e.

Hockey runs in the family for Mark Kelley, the man behind...

You missed the point if you think I am saying Stan deserves more credit.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yet you consider Stan's drafting ability as his best attribute. Correct?

You are missing the point. I am going to assume intentionally.

The FO as a whole has an ability to draft well but also identify talent from other areas. Stan trusts his team and in turn they don’t have to over sell prospect to get their guys drafted. It is a give and take situation. There are misses for sure but the FO in general always seems in sync with where they want to go and where they think the game is going.

FO and Coach is a different story.

Reactions: migi

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You are missing the point. I am going to assume intentionally.

The FO as a whole has an ability to draft well but also identify talent from other areas. Stan trusts his team and in turn they don’t have to over sell prospect to get their guys drafted. It is a give and take situation. There are kisses for sure but the FO in general always seems in sync with where they want to go and where they think the game is going.

FO and Coach is a different story.

Sorry but that sounds like gobbledygook.

My point is that Stan could be gone tomorrow and not much would change in the drafting department (as long as Hawks keep Kelley). So what exactly is Stan good at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad