Prospect Info: At 29th Overall the Blackhawks Select Henri Jokiharju (signed through 2020-21)

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
Well, it makes sense to take a defender. I loved having Toews and Kane announce the pick.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
“I’m a puck mover. I like to keep the puck and long breakout passes.†– Henri Jokiharju

Sounds like he will fit well around here.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Ehhhhhhhh, not my pick for sure. That said, he went around where the consensus had him. Jokiharju's a safe pick for the bottom pair who doesn't really excel in any one area. Good skater, which is probably what the pundits liked, although not speedy per se. Would have liked to see more production given the league. I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that Hague or Timmins would have been better selections. I forsee someone like Barrett Jackman if he makes the big show. And if you get a guy like that at 29th, you haven't done half bad

Looking forward to being proved wrong, though. And we got a free third rounder.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ehhhhhhhh, not my pick for sure. That said, he went around where the consensus had him. Jokiharju's a safe pick for the bottom pair who doesn't really excel in any one area. Good skater, which is probably what the pundits liked, although not speedy per se. Would have liked to see more production given the league. I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that Hague or Timmins would have been better selections. I forsee someone like Barrett Jackman if he makes the big show.

Looking forward to being proved wrong, though. And we got a free third rounder.

Not being an ass... but you actually project a 1st round D to be a safe "bottom pair" guy? :huh:

I mean... obviously anything can happen, and he can completely bust. But I would think that a 1st round D projects to be a middle pair guy at worst.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Meh pick?

What do you expect at #29? A sure thing like Conor McDavid? Besides, no one knows at this point (particularly the bottom dwellers) as the draft is mostly a crap shoot.

Want more laughs? Read up on Tom Brady's draft bio or even a Von Miller. How bout Nail Yakupov taken #1 overall by the Oilers a few years back. :laugh:

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/

Look at those rankings, #1 clear across the board!!

Nail Yakupov: Destined for #1 overall in 2012
Date of birth: 10/06/1993
Place of birth: Nizhnekamsk, RUS
Ht: 5’10″ Wt: 190
Shoots: Left
Position: Right Wing

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2012 1st year eligible

THW Ranking (May): 1st
Other Rankings:
Final CSS North American Rank: 1st
Future Considerations: 1st
ISS: 1st
Hockey Prospect: 1st
The Hockey Guys: 1st
Craig’s List: 1st

Some have proclaimed the Russian product hockey’s best prospect since Sidney Crosby.

Last edited:

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Very good pick at #29. A better Pokka for comparisons sake. Mostly in that he can skate well enough to play in the NHL. He also has higher hockey IQ than Pokka. Will be fun to see how he develops and it's a plus that he's already playing in North America and doing very well.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Skates well, high IQ, great stick, great feet. Reads plays, gets in lanes, and knocks down everything that comes around him and sends the play back the other way.

What's not to like?

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
Skates well, high IQ, great stick, great feet. Reads plays, gets in lanes, and knocks down everything that comes around him and sends the play back the other way.

What's not to like?

This is fantastic to hear, cause not ONE of our GD defensemen did this in the playoffs.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Good solid pick and, as it's been stated, the Hawks D is getting long in the tooth, but I think Eeli Talvanen has a MUCH higher upside.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hawks had no decent rhd prospects in the system so they just picked up a pair in Jokiharju and Raddysh.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Good solid pick and, as it's been stated, the Hawks D is getting long in the tooth, but I think Eeli Talvanen has a MUCH higher upside.
Wasn't Talvanen dinged with no hockey IQ what so ever?

As for Jokhr, this was a solid pick.

He's a bottom pairing guy with top four prime upside. Think he develops quicker then people think. Not a finished product, but not too far off.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
with the bad of SB, he, again comes thru with great scouting and plunking a great prospect. a prospect that also helps in a specific purpose, being right handed.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
OK. .a lot of us had Connor Timmins going ahead of Jokiharju ..still he was one of 2 RD right shot d-men in the range of late first to mid 30s we xoukd have targeted..in the end our scouts chose him over Timmins. ..there was however 1 huge gap in the Hockey News rankings with both Dmen being off consensus ...They had Timmins only at #38 and Jokiharju at #56 ..If that assessment is more correct we picked the wrong RD-RS dman..

But on the plus side Jokiharju was listed as only 6'0 170 by the Hockey News..now the Hawks tell us he bis 6'1 187 ...big difference and if I had known he was already bigger it might have changed me as at least indifferent as to whether we picked him ir Timmins in targeting a RS -RD ..I had held his smaller size (he was only 5'11 170 at the Top Prospects Game ..so I guess he has spurt ed already and may yet spurt sone more...because my view if him was ...very good PMD and skater and passerby needsctobadd get bigger and stronger because defending he can get overpowered too easily ..so has to work on his defensive game.That was what I saw of him at tge Top Prospects Game ...NY impression of him..but do remember ...he got 3 assists that game and as I recall.may have been the 1st star of the game of the 3 stars.In any case his offense creation helped stand him out that game.

Overall ...Getti g tge #70 to move down from 26 to 29 ...was great value and so I at leastxapplaudcStan for that coup ..It is what I wanted except that I thought we would get an early 3rd for Keuger from Vegas..but that deal delayed tillafter Kruger getsv $2 million from us July 1st..mthen we will trade him.So whatever we get back from Vegas if it is a pick ,cannot be till 2018 draft at the earliest.(Unless tge NHL will allow a pick for a future consideration of unnamed player which they can choose only after July 1st? ).So we will see today if that is allowed. .if not we wait for a pick in a later draft when we trade Kruger.

Anyway..now Day 2 is whwre the real scouting work begins and hopefully we get eventual NHL players with astute picks.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Henri Jokiharju - 2016-2017 Highlights

Courtesy of Maxime Duquet

Thanks for the vid. I really like the fact that he's not afraid to just use the wrist shot to put the puck on net from the point. Wish our current dmen would do that more often.

As an aside, it's like the Twilight Zone seeing the Indianhead on the ice, those uni's and numbers with different players than I'm used to seeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->