Prospect Info: At 29th Overall the Blackhawks Select Henri Jokiharju (signed through 2020-21)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The A is great for development and I wouldn't mind him spending time there at all, but he's a high IQ player. I think he'll adapt to the NHL quickly. I don't think he'll do much flailing in the deep end.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The biggest problem is that he has to basically beat Murphy, Rutta and Seabrook or someone of those three is traded. Joki needs to play all games or he should be in AHL.

No RD’s off-sides please.

Its Q. There will be guys playing out of position.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I’m fine with Murphy playing LD if it means this:

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Murphy - Seabrook
Gustafsson
Manning

Forsling and Jokiharju needs to play full-time if they are with the team.
Murphy and Seabrook together? The pair of Svedberg and Rozsival can beat them in a race. The Hawks can leave Murphy and Seabrook on the ice between periods and sell their zamboni.

Reactions: Blackhawks and migi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Murphy - Seabrook
Gustafsson
Manning

If Joki and Forsling can make the jump (which I think they can), I certainly like these lines the most. But at that point you might try to trade Gus or Murph.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If HJ makes the jump I would go with these pairings.

2-28
42-5
23-7

If he does not I would go with these.

2-44
42-5
23-7

Either way I would move Gus or Rutta depending on the situation even though I think Rutta has some upside similar but a little lower than Kempny.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Murphy and Seabrook together? The pair of Svedberg and Rozsival can beat them in a race. The Hawks can leave Murphy and Seabrook on the ice between periods and sell their zamboni.
They were paired together last year and weren't too bad. I can certainly say Seabrook looked at his best when he was with Murphy.

Not saying they were great together, but no defensive pair that consists of Seabrook will be good in this day and age.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
They were paired together last year and weren't too bad. I can certainly say Seabrook looked at his best when he was with Murphy.

Not saying they were great together, but no defensive pair that consists of Seabrook will be good in this day and age.

Yes and the fact is, Seabrook will be regular. Murphy, Keith, Rutta too. If HJ makes the team, he needs to be too. If Forsling isn’t regular, I’m gonna lose my mind.

That is why I think someone or maybe two is going to be traded and I hope it ain’t Forsling.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes and the fact is, Seabrook will be regular. Murphy, Keith, Rutta too. If HJ makes the team, he needs to be too. If Forsling isn’t regular, I’m gonna lose my mind.

That is why I think someone or maybe two is going to be traded and I hope it ain’t Forsling.
Forsling is waiver exempt and unlike last season they don't need to stay at max contracts up as they did last year to potentially use the Hossa cap space.

So I don't think 8Dmen makes much sense. I think only one of Forsling or Joki makes it. They have so many guys that need to play and not sit which will probably push guys down to Indy with all the D depth

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Murphy - Seabrook
Gustafsson
Manning

The cap hit of that third-pairing + the 8th D :facepalm:

Reactions: Snilsson

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Maybe being the third pair will be okay against the other team's 3rd and checking lines. I would hope Murphy would be more with what we're paying him.

I'm just resigned to the fact Seabrook is a #5 DMen. The Hawks are paying him for past services.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Hi there, Canucks fan coming in piece. Big Jokiharju fan, drafted him in both of my FHL leagues and still glad I have him. To be honest, I would deal you Juolevi for him in second as I think Joki is the better of the two but thats not why I came here. Just wanted to see how the Hawks fan base views him and what your expectations are for this and next year in terms of his development.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Hi there, Canucks fan coming in piece. Big Jokiharju fan, drafted him in both of my FHL leagues and still glad I have him. To be honest, I would deal you Juolevi for him in second as I think Joki is the better of the two but thats not why I came here. Just wanted to see how the Hawks fan base views him and what your expectations are for this and next year in terms of his development.

Nope. We need some light in the darkness. He's ours

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I've really liked him. He's played a more stay at home style during the preseason games here instead of the puck moving style he's known for, but he's looked great doing it. Has a good gap and stick, and does a good job of holding the line.

He has been a bit overshadowed by Boqvist's offensive skills, but Jokiharju deserves a spot on the roster and is at least our 4th best defensemen IMO. Impressive for a guy who was drafted in the late 1st round just over a year ago.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think we as a whole have very high hopes for him, and for good reason. Barring the need for a salary cap dump getting sweetened, we're probably hoping that Joker and Boqvist will be the core of the new blue line in a few years.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I think we as a whole have very high hopes for him, and for good reason. Barring the need for a salary cap dump getting sweetened, we're probably hoping that Joker and Boqvist will be the core of the new blue line in a few years.
With a kid like Mitchell right there too. I mentioned this last night, but I’m pretty psyched about the future of the team on the blue line.

I don’t think either gets moved in a cap dump (especially Boqvist).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
5 assists in 3 games puts Jokiharju #9 in points in the entire NHL currently, including forwards. Hopefully he can keep this up. Truthfully I'm aware that Kane, Toews and Duncan Keith kind of mostly made that happen for him. Still a quite fun fact that a rookie that we weren't sure would be even playing is that high in the stats.

NHL.com - Stats

Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
5 assists in 3 games puts Jokiharju #9 in points in the entire NHL currently, including forwards. Hopefully he can keep this up. Truthfully I'm aware that Kane, Toews and Duncan Keith kind of mostly made that happen for him. Still a quite fun fact that a rookie that we weren't sure would be even playing is that high in the stats.

NHL.com - Stats
Those guys helped yes, but Jokiharju was the only defensemen tonight against the Leafs to put up multiple shots on goal (5 for him, 1 or none for everyone else). He's not a PPG defensmen, we're all aware of that, but his play has earned him the success that he's had so far.

We're all really, really happy about this kid.

Reactions: Mestaruus

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'm 'pissing honey' (Finnish proverb - roughly: 'happily excited') for all these next-generation Finns popping up onto NHL radar like mushrooms in an autumn forest, Jokiharju being another pleasant surprise. It's not anymore like before with Finnish prospects: Mass of average defensively minded forwards, dotted sparsely with few expections (Kurri, Selänne, Lehtinen...). Now it seems that player production has increased by both in quantity but also in quality for every roles, not including goalies that have been traditionally kind of trade mark of Finnish hockey pipeline.

Happy, happy, joy, joy. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad