Prospect Info: At 29th Overall the Blackhawks Select Henri Jokiharju (signed through 2020-21)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
All I want for our PP ... is to just get the puck into offensive zone and actually hold possession. That would be a positive step.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
All I want for our PP ... is to just get the puck into offensive zone and actually hold possession. That would be a positive step.

Which is pathetic in and of itself. Because we should be expecting them to score pretty much every game with the number of penalties they draw.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If the new changes on the pp fail to gain success...the it would call for a Radical solution:

We pull our goalie on EVERY PP !!!

We have proof this works ....eh. Kane vs.Leafs. ..

So it would create a 6 on 4 instead of a 5 on 4 as with most PP situations...Since we sick on 5on5 situations but Excell on 6 on 4 situations late in games...why not try the 6 on 4 every pp situation? IT could not be any worse ...the advantage of this is 3 fold:

1.Obvious out numbering by 2 ..
2. If they try to stack the blue line in formation to prevent entries ...we have a man waiting right at the line so that even if we have to chip it in he is going in to chase from right at the line almost but not ahead of the puck. .they will be caught flat footed up at the line.So dangerous for them to fiorm at the line ...in other words we can gain easier possession from chasing puck in if they refuse to change strategy. ..easier for our guy going ahead while they cannot skate as fast backwards from the line..

3.If they do change strategy and back up towards their goal to defend,it also helps our entries...Either strategy they deploy they now cannot be as successful with as we gain entry and possession I their zone quicker ..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
50, they can ice it on a PK without any ramifications, to try and score a goal. If it's 6 on 5 and they ice it they can't change so they are less likely to try. That changes things dramatically.

Reactions: Rolo

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
50, they can ice it on a PK without any ramifications, to try and score a goal. If it's 6 on 5 and they ice it they can't change so they are less likely to try. That changes things dramatically.
I think we're better on the 6 on 5 because our DMen are more aggressive. We also have forwards who crash the net / get in front of the net ... something we rarely do on the power play.

On the 5 on 4, our DMen appear tentative. Is it because they are scared of giving up short hand opportunities?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I may be completely wrong, but I worry about overusing Joker. Of course if he can keep up with the workload the whole season I'd have him on both the PP and PK along with high 5v5 minutes. But its his first season in the NHL and by game 60 he might be used up.

At this point he is dominating 5v5 play. Get him as much 5v5 ice time as possible along with PK time.

Hey, I like the kid too but to say he is dominating is a bit of an exaggeration.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hey, I like the kid too but to say he is dominating is a bit of an exaggeration.
Caution is always the watchword and I think nothing with respect the the defense as-is can remotely be considered "Dominating", But I think you slowly bring up The Joker's responsibility 5-5 and the PP (no PK yet) until he can't handle it, then back off a bit.

He might have made a few rookie mistakes but how is that unexpected from a 19 year old rookie--especially when you have 2 14-year veteran defenders making more rookie mistakes?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Which is pathetic in and of itself. Because we should be expecting them to score pretty much every game with the number of penalties they draw.
I am not sure if anyone can look this up, and I am sure there has been, but I cannot recall another NHL team having a 4 minute power play and NOT generating a shot...in fact, the only shot during that span was the opposition lol...if that is not embarrassment enough, if that is not an indictment on our coaching staff, not sure what the f*** else is????

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Cat and Schmaltz should be flipped IMO and Cat as a quicker release and Schmaltz is more mobile and has a good one timer from the wing. Having Schmaltz in the slot does not utilize his ability to move while also neutralizing Cats ability to find the soft spot in the D.
Schmaltz on half wall, rotating...keeps Cat in stealth mode sneaking in. Toews in/out to high slot for Espo-like one timer vs screening goalie. Everybody moving.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
First of all, kudos to Scott Powers to pronounce my hard name correctly from Twitter in his and Laz’s latest podcast. Third time and now he has it.

I asked about comparison to Joker. They said Hjalmarsson with more offense. I like it, a lot. Basically low-end #1D potential, minimum.

Asked also about putting Hayden into second line. They didnt rule it out, they seem to like Hayden too. Like we all do. They just said that putting Saad into 3rd line is a disaster. I mean yeah, if the other winger is Kunitz or Kämpf, yes it could be. But eventually Sikura might be there. He is speedy, shooting and playmaking winger who has +50 point potential. From third line he could easily score 20+20 with Anisimov and Saad against lesser talent. That line could seriously work.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
First of all, kudos to Scott Powers to pronounce my hard name correctly from Twitter in his and Laz’s latest podcast. Third time and now he has it.

I asked about comparison to Joker. They said Hjalmarsson with more offense. I like it, a lot. Basically low-end #1D potential, minimum.

Asked also about putting Hayden into second line. They didnt rule it out, they seem to like Hayden too. Like we all do. They just said that putting Saad into 3rd line is a disaster. I mean yeah, if the other winger is Kunitz or Kämpf, yes it could be. But eventually Sikura might be there. He is speedy, shooting and playmaking winger who has +50 point potential. From third line he could easily score 20+20 with Anisimov and Saad against lesser talent. That line could seriously work.
been saying that Joker reminds me of Hammer thing for a while as well...just less physical. Hammer had a good outlet pass and wasn't a bum offensively, he just really focused on covering up for whoever his partner was but Joker is definitely more skilled, but their safe smart and accurate plays (typically all the time) are reminiscent to each other. I also said in another thread that Joker reminds me some of Sergie Zubov, so if we can combine Hammer and Zubov, we have Joker!!! No pressure kid, lol!!!

Reactions: migi

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

With the Toews line working, thats what I would do. If nothing else, we know Saad can drive possession for the 3rd scoring line. Anisimov can push for 20 goals and Sikura playmakes. Hayden does the dirty work for Schmaltz and Kane

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
With the Toews line working, thats what I would do. If nothing else, we know Saad can drive possession for the 3rd scoring line. Anisimov can push for 20 goals and Sikura playmakes. Hayden does the dirty work for Schmaltz and Kane
ditto as well....if by game #20, and Saad doesn't pick things up and Sikura is ready for the show, this is my ideal forward group -

DeBrincat - Toews - Kahun
Hayden - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Anisimov - Sikura
Kampf - Kruger - Johnson
Kunitz

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
ditto as well....if by game #20, and Saad doesn't pick things up and Sikura is ready for the show, this is my ideal forward group -

DeBrincat - Toews - Kahun
Hayden - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Anisimov - Sikura
Kampf - Kruger - Johnson
Kunitz
When do you estimate Sikura gets called up? I'm thinking he gets around 10 games in Rockford and then comes up.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
When do you estimate Sikura gets called up? I'm thinking he gets around 10 games in Rockford and then comes up.

if the team isn't struggling to score, no problems with him staying down until around the time Hino came back up. let him work, learn and earn down there. I would be more than fine with Sikura coming up with Forsling at the same time, bring these two kids back up for another shot in the veins...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
been saying that Joker reminds me of Hammer thing for a while as well...just less physical. Hammer had a good outlet pass and wasn't a bum offensively, he just really focused on covering up for whoever his partner was but Joker is definitely more skilled, but their safe smart and accurate plays (typically all the time) are reminiscent to each other. I also said in another thread that Joker reminds me some of Sergie Zubov, so if we can combine Hammer and Zubov, we have Joker!!! No pressure kid, lol!!!
Well, if that's the case ... he could make an incredible match with Boqvist in the future. Certainly our PP will be far better with those 2 on the ice.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad